Hyperion--TRA Level 3 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
Well, here it is. It seems like only yesterday I was trying to build a 2-stage K805 to G80 rocket with no knowledge of fiberglassing. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, then there's no need for you to know. LONG story.)

I've been toying around with this build now for several months in CAD, tweaking different parameters and dimensions to make this the absolute coolest Level 3 Build ever.

"BUT WAIT MATT! You're only a Level 1!"

Yes. I know. I've gotten permission from my TAP's to begin construction. I'll knock out my L2 flight sometime before LDRS.

Without further ado...

I present Hyperion. This is the naked version. The paint scheme is being worked on. Shoutout to David Nagy for coming up with the name.
Naked Picture.jpg

The specs are as follows:

Diameter: 7.67"
Height: ~13' (nose cone ~3 feet, body tubes 10 feet)
Estimated Loaded Pad weight: 56 pounds (this is on the high side, I am expecting it to weigh a bit less).
Motor Mount: 98mm

Materials:
Nose Cone: Fiberglass, 33" long
Body Tubes: LOC/Precision cardboard with 2 layers of 6oz fiberglass cloth
Fins: 3/8" birch ply, 1 layer of 6oz fiberglass on each side.

Adhesive of choice for the build is US Composites 635 3:1 Medium resin, which is what I normally use. Any tacking will be done with 30 minute epoxy.
Bonding: Epoxy with chopped carbon.
Laminating: Straight epoxy, no filler
Fillets: Epoxy with colloidal silica

A phone call a while back to Ken Allen of Performance Hobbies landed 10 feet of LOC tubing and a LOC avionics bay in my workshop.
Parts.jpg

I will be adding more detail about each section as it comes along. First up are the fins.

I'd like to give a shoutout to my two taps, Jim Scarpine and Gus P. I have been communicating with them during the design process of this rocket. As for launch plans, this will be flying at LDRS36, on none other than a Loki Research M1200 Spitfire, which will propel the rocket to an impressive 3700 feet (current estimate).

Here's a link to the Google Doc summary of the build, which will end up being my certification packet.

(As a side note, if you see the name Equarius in any part of this build, please let me know. This was a previous name idea I had and I'm still working on getting all of the names transitioned).

Please feel free to ask any questions!

Matt

Attachments

• Hyperion.ork
    60.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Good luck! (that looks like a big leviathan with chopped fins :))

Now we'll know what to watch out for when you start school.....

Matt, I like your style!!!! Good looking design; can't wait to see it progress!

Have you considered a 98mm mount? The 75 will work, no doubt, but there are some really neat 98 motors out there. You know you can always adapt down!:wink:

-Eric-

Subscribed! Second the 98mm MMT suggestion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Matt, I like your style!!!! Good looking design; can't wait to see it progress!

Have you considered a 98mm mount? The 75 will work, no doubt, but there are some really neat 98 motors out there. You know you can always adapt down!:wink:

-Eric-
Eric
I've considered the 98. However, when I look at it, I'm only going to fly this maybe 1 time a year at most, and I'm never going to have the budget for a 98. If I do in the future, I'll just end up building another one. Total parts cost actually was only $250 for everything excluding motor.

Eric
I've considered the 98. However, when I look at it, I'm only going to fly this maybe 1 time a year at most, and I'm never going to have the budget for a 98. If I do in the future, I'll just end up building another one. Total parts cost actually was only $250 for everything excluding motor.

Matt,

I respect that! I built my L3 rocket when I was in college; money was indeed scarce. Not that money is overabundant now, but all I'm saying is that it's flyable now and I never would've planned to fly it more than once per year or 13 times to date.

Agree that you can always build another. Just never say never, and plan for the unplanned.:) Like Bat-Mite said: above all, have fun!

-Eric-

Looks great. (Though I must admit I was hoping for an upscale of this classic when I clicked the link.)

1383_82.jpg

Matt , good luck on your project . I would suggest adding 4 38mm mounts to the back end . This will open up a huge variety of flight options . If you need anything or have any questions , pm me anytime.

Eric

Great looking project Matt. Hopefully, all of your live ground testing will be done prior to your arrival at LDRS...:)-) If you have any concerns about ground testing restrictions at the launch, please PM me...

BTW, if you decide to change your motor mount, to a 98mm, I have 75mm adaptors you can use, Aeropack or a standard build-up constructed from phenolic tube..

Hey everyone,
I appreciate the suggestions to add extra motor mounts. Trust me, I'd LOVE to throw 6x54mm mounts around the motor mount :) But it's just something that I'm not wanting to do on this, especially given that it's my first project of this size. :)

I did the L3 in college thing as well, and I kind of wish I had built with a 98mm mount. That said, I haven't flown it since my successful cert flight.

You never know what will come your way. Back at the first LDRS in Potter, NY I was offered a 98-3G sparky from Scott Raumberger but couldn't fly it due to a 76mm MMT in my 6" rocket. ''Twas a bummer.

Good luck to you Matt. It's been a real pleasure watching you progress in the hobby. Keep it up!

Well, after some more thought and playing around in Solidworks, I have decided to change to a 98mm motor mount. It opens up more motor choices in the event I want to fly a bigger motor.

Well, after some more thought and playing around in Solidworks, I have decided to change to a 98mm motor mount. It opens up more motor choices in the event I want to fly a bigger motor.

Honestly, it's the right thing to do. If you plan on retaining with an AeroPack, a $40 adapter opens up so many doors for motor choices.

That motor is way under powered for that weight. A little wind and it's asking for an unstable flight or a long walk if it goes horizontal.

I ran some simulations with your Open Rocket file using the M1200 SF. You'll only get 46 fps off a 10 foot rail. That's too close for comfort. No need to have any risk with a cert flight.

There are a lot of 75mm M motors that will keep you around a mile in altitude and will get you off the pad safely.

If you want to borrow a Cesaroni 75mm 6XL case let me know. They have lots of good motors to choose from that will get your rocket off the pad.

Last edited:
That motor is way under powered for that weight. A little wind and it's asking for an unstable flight or a long walk if it goes horizontal.

I ran some simulations with your Open Rocket file using the M1200 SF. You'll only get 46 fps off a 10 foot rail. That's too close for comfort. No need to have any risk with a cert flight.

There are a lot of 75mm M motors that will keep you around a mile in altitude and will get you off the pad safely.

If you want to borrow a Cesaroni 75mm 6XL case let me know. They have lots of good motors to choose from that will get your rocket off the pad.

You usually want a 4:1 speed off rail to windspeed rate to minimize windcock. Try dropping your stats into my safety calculator to see what you get.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cGEeEXgq9ScOMsaF5nFxY3m08tIn-kY2F8sNV7NQd8k

After looking at your google document I have another suggestion regarding the main and back up altimeters.

I wanted to use 2 RRC2+ altimeters for my L3. My L3 TAP's were not comfortable with the 1s drogue delay of the back up RRC2+ (apogee +1s is the only option for the RRC2+). The concern was possible over pressurization (confetti) if the main and back up altimeters fired closer than 1 second apart. One of my TAP's had that happen to one of his rockets.

I have a Stratologger CF that I used as the back up altimeter and set the back up drogue to apogee +3 seconds.

You currently have the RRC3 as the main and the RRC2+ as the back up. You could just swap the altimeters you already have (RRC2+ and RRC3). Use the RRC2+ as the main and fire the drogue charge at apogee. The RRC3 could then be set to a delay longer than 1 second after apogee (the RRC3 has a user adjustable delay from 1-30 seconds).

On phone, sorry for short response.

ill be flying this rocket off a 20' rail. Current weights in OR are all HIGH estimates. According to Openrocket I'm looking at a 45mph rail velocity.

Even at 54 pounds I still have a TTW ratio of 5:1. I'm expecting lower. If rocket ends up being too heavy, I'll be switching motors.

Fixing everything up in Aspire.....

w9A8psG.jpg

The shopbot begins to cut out the parts.
ee6GUqR.jpg

The size of this rocket is really starting to come into perspective. I'll be sending the fins off to get them beveled.

Next up is fiberglassing everything. I got a half gallon of epoxy on top of what I already have, and 6 or so yards of fiberglass.

This is going to be awesome.

What, did you really expect me to cut every single one of those by hand? :)

Matt, Thank-you for choosing me as your secondary TAP last night via phone! :D
Lets build this critter and, recheck our weights as i thought about the rail length thrust ratio last night a little more...Otherwise i love the fins and, i look forward to checking in and, seeing how your build progresses!

As a matter of fact this might be the motivation someone :rolleyes:...someone :rolleyes:... Needs to GET HIS L-3 project going for a *cough* *cough* attempt at LDRS 36.

You hear me "Jabber-lowski?" :lol:

Back