Hyperion--TRA Level 3 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys! I haven't had much time to finish this. Our robotics team got first place at districts and so we are going to Worlds :)

HOWEVER, I have managed to get a few more things done. For example, the altimeter bay.

The altimeter bay is almost done, except for some wires that need to be run.

I'm packing the car for LDRS today. It's so close!

Ahhh, I knew there was something I had forgotten to post about.

I got the thrust plate cut.

Toolpathing in Aspire:

Setting it up on the shopbot:

First cutout done:

Looks pretty good!

Realized I don't have a pic of the backside and it's at Jim's house so you'll just have to deal with a CAD picture. Thanks to David Nagy for designing.

I'll end up making another one in the future because of a few SNAFU's I made while creating the plate. Including an error that involved not knowing the difference between 9+1/32 and 10+1/32.

Congratulations to the team! How many points did they take off for your choice in pants?

Wow, you should have enough room in that av-bay for your robot too....
Nice thrust plate. Any chance your friend with the shopbot will move with you?

Congratulations to the team! How many points did they take off for your choice in pants?

Wow, you should have enough room in that av-bay for your robot too....
Nice thrust plate. Any chance your friend with the shopbot will move with you?

1. Interestingly enough, our pants have actually gotten us awards before (something about "imagery " :p ). It's also awesome getting to walk around a robotics competition in pajama pants.
2. It's spectacular. I've never had this much room before. Future plans involved a fully 3d printed avionics setup.
3. Thanks! Sadly, no. That shopbot is at one of the schools I go to. But I will have access to that and plenty more at UAH. ;)

Well... that's the fun part. I got some PVC endcaps but they've managed to #@$%^&* disappear into another dimension (and they're a hair on the small side) so I'm trying to find the bag of empty shotgun shells I had laying around. But of course, they've also teleported into another dimension.

I'm going to ask around my neighborhood (we live right next to hunting land) and see if anyone has some empty shotgun shells I can acquire.

Also... the calculator says I need 10 grams for my main charge (46"x7.51" tube). Does this sound approximately right? It seems a hair on the large side.

Well... that's the fun part. I got some PVC endcaps but they've managed to #@$%^&* disappear into another dimension (and they're a hair on the small side) so I'm trying to find the bag of empty shotgun shells I had laying around. But of course, they've also teleported into another dimension.

I'm going to ask around my neighborhood (we live right next to hunting land) and see if anyone has some empty shotgun shells I can acquire.

Also... the calculator says I need 10 grams for my main charge (46"x7.51" tube). Does this sound approximately right? It seems a hair on the large side.

I found a box of 40-year-old shotgun shells when going through my dad's stuff. I won't shoot them, but I think if you hit them on the rear end with a hammer, all the powder and shot will come out one way or another.

If you need charge holders I have 4 copper tube charge holders that are left over from another project. They are about 1/2in tubing and 3 inches tall. Mount to the bulkhead with #2-56 screws. They would easily hold 30g of powder. If you want to use them I can bring them. 10g sounds a little high, though maybe not given the volume. Why so big of a payload bay?

If you need charge holders I have 4 copper tube charge holders that are left over from another project. They are about 1/2in tubing and 3 inches tall. Mount to the bulkhead with #2-56 screws. They would easily hold 30g of powder. If you want to use them I can bring them. 10g sounds a little high, though maybe not given the volume. Why so big of a payload bay?

Sounds good :)

So the distance from the top bulkhead of your payload bay to the end cap of your nose cone is 51"? Or is that the total length of your upper tube? If it's the tube, you should subtract the payload bay coupler length and the nosecone shoulder length to get the length of the compartment you have the chute in.

If you do not locate what you want or time bumps you........revert to the tired & true nitrile glove fingers [not tips, ya need the whole finger to hold large charges....

what did you use [charge] in the other big rocket? payload near same size? start there if possible.

My feeling I would start with 6-7 and go up from there if needed...that would be with 3-4 [4-40 pins] Assuming the normal...pick up payload and shake...fincan just barely begins to move.

But I don't know how tight you fit is.

I find less BP is needed in directional charge holders. Folks seem to pack powder and wrap/tape like a cannon.....which in fact creates just that.

Best wishes for your flight Matt......you've come aloooooooooooooong way.LOL

From my experience with DD, you need more black powder if you're using a glove/bag/straw. If you use a canister, you can use less.

@mark, it's a 60" tube with 14 inches total of coupler in it. 60-14=46.

ill be using 4x2-56 sheer pins on the nose cone.

Jim just saw your post. We used 8.5 from what I remember, but we cannon-ized that charge.

From my experience with DD, you need more black powder if you're using a glove/bag/straw. If you use a canister, you can use less.

@mark, it's a 60" tube with 14 inches total of coupler in it. 60-14=46.

ill be using 4x2-56 sheer pins on the nose cone.

With those dimensions, you're looking like 5-6 g FFFFg BP.

Jim just saw your post. We used 8.5 from what I remember, but we cannon-ized that charge.

Check my L3 thread. I just finished making my charge holders. It took less than 10 minutes. Get 4 x 1" copper caps and a 2' x 1" copper pipe from Lowes. Sweated them together for some nice cannisters.

20170404_175327.jpg

A 3-4" length would be good to hold your BP and have plenty of room for dog barf.

Matt-

I know we've been talking more off to the side than here. So with less than 48 hours before we meet for the first time. I wanted too share a little Rockteers prayer that I always say to my humble creations before their first flight.

Simple person here, simple prayer.

My you always fly straight, high and, true.:eek:
My you never forget the loving hands that handcrafted you.:D
And, my you always come home to PAPPA!:D

Because if you don't I've got a shovel but, we're NOT going to use that right? ;)

I know it's corny, but I always take the time to let the rocket know who's boss-

Your going to have an awesome flight for sure! See you soon...

My little oath sounds more like, "Man, if this thing gets destroyed, I'm quitting for good."

I've now heard every single charge size from 4 grams to 12 grams. I'm going to begin testing with 6 grams and pack each charge the same way each time.

I have a checklist completed. It is attached to this post.

Currently the plan is to prep Thursday night and launch first thing Friday morning.

View attachment Hyperion Checklist.pdf

You'll be fine and the flight will be great - You got a couple great TAPS that will be around, rely on them a little - they want to help you anyway. 4-12grams huh, then start in the middle.

pdyLM0szPo4D5qVAiP9rkquOCPdfGgWOMgFGjjV3CytSN4hsGMzDmjI3u6ODKN3B4PrphZrQkpNxAMsDt0pRJSgWPOCGNF4rGL9wSIfD9OeeIv6MDjbxGkI7ZnIdvYw9StFEcEDxrRH7bCZzfPM6VE5wyWlixhBOHuse-kycxhwpIafsxW7OiiXweld5IzoJ4YpBpy2oGuvhTT8tytnorJzd3vmruKpcjDVl7D_rLgMnBoLT0igAEaKzeGNK1DmDWYtwNuAGT_wu9KFtcjME-Pzb1NuzFaKUIXmI-vBrtfcIaRk2_9zdc1IIl4qsNbmTieLyGRmwCjYnj9PvmEYbRrNyTwWPk2UbDpBP4kWpBDiXnLn-P5hfxv_mWTh79U1a592DDZmwboXTTRda9Nz-JF0PYprlFdM_-ND3HAbcCgsLiVBtUZpMyJhF6haWFNWOer4F1fgKfltuN9BXh2GuSWGy8nTJ0Re3kuEaJbs6wFuoW9HYkVC-4E0lBoU5kM5b-5yxSi_kpJG11nWDiutH3uqc6yW3sxbBCG3H10JJVi2IrZYuIqnWKnFnWmVbpHZN49YFaAa8iSI8CHDhhe2EytIQbKOJtwb0rofsp34VhIU4j7U-Tn6GmYTxpNhVzSR5kqwIoDCVsRtk3D8hisqQ0h4gmZ5DePDbs10qY4c0G-o=w2790-h1860-no

Robot looks great, Matt. Our team (1619) is going to worlds as well. So far, we're in the 40kPa solo club and the 400+ point 4-rotor club. Now just need to do them in the same match! How about you guys?

Only FRC nerds will understand these comments.
-Ken

G62ubiWh.jpg

The rocket is almost entirely prepped in the hotel room. All I need to do tomorrow is pack the chute and bring it out to the pad.

Good luck Matt! It's really just another launch. Nothin to be nervous about. Just fly that bugger!
Oh, and report back...

Back