Hyperion--TRA Level 3 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spoke with the gentleman who found it. He's sending a picture in a bit, but I'm pretty confident it's my rocket.

Turns out it was about 6-7 miles from the launch pad.

Matt, that is unreal assuming it is yours. How high was it supposed to go? What were the winds on the ground, and has anyone checked winds aloft?

Matt, that is unreal assuming it is yours. How high was it supposed to go? What were the winds on the ground, and has anyone checked winds aloft?

The winds aloft were 50+ mph. When we worked the math out, we got values around 5.5 miles for the high end.

At the same time, I might have misheard his location. :p

I'd love to know the first words out of the person's mouth when they found that rocket?

Glad it was found! Assuming it wasn't dragged a 1-2 miles on the ground to it's final destination. I hope it wasn't. Drag rash can be pretty bad.

The winds aloft were 50+ mph. When we worked the math out, we got values around 5.5 miles for the high end.

At the same time, I might have misheard his location. :p

Wow. You popped your main in 50 MPH winds? Hopefully there's no damage.

I'm glad you're getting it back! Looking forward to the analysis of what went wrong, since I'm sure I'll learn a thing or two (already learned about the low lipo voltages when you posted about your tracker issue).

So if it was recovered flyable - do you get your Level 3?

Or does the entire flight have to follow the program to the letter?

....congratulations on getting it back regardless.

So if it was recovered flyable - do you get your Level 3?

Or does the entire flight have to follow the program to the letter?

....congratulations on getting it back regardless.

No TAP will sign off on a L3 cert flight that is recovered at that distance from the launch pad; "well outside the wavered zone"... Great to hear the rocket was found though.
party.gif

Well, I'm happy to report I received a positive confirmation that the rocket is intact! From the picture I saw, it appears to be in great condition!

I'll be working on getting it back down here shortly. I just want to analyze it and figure out WHAT went wrong.

Furthermore, from the phone call, it appears that he found it that day. Which makes me even more excited (now I shouldn't have to replace electronics) :p. I will be sending in the electronics to Missileworks anyway just to get them checked out (my other RRC3 is acting a bit funky, so I might as well).

Well, I'm happy to report I received a positive confirmation that the rocket is intact! From the picture I saw, it appears to be in great condition!

I'll be working on getting it back down here shortly. I just want to analyze it and figure out WHAT went wrong.

Furthermore, from the phone call, it appears that he found it that day. Which makes me even more excited (now I shouldn't have to replace electronics) :p. I will be sending in the electronics to Missileworks anyway just to get them checked out (my other RRC3 is acting a bit funky, so I might as well).

glad to hear! a few tweaks here and there and you can send it up again!

fm

Huzzah for safe recovery! Good luck with the troubleshooting and your eventual re-flight.

Woohoo! Man that's great news and a testament to make sure I have contact info on all parts (which I don't)

Woohoo! Man that's great news and a testament to make sure I have contact info on all parts (which I don't)
I'll be ordering some of those nametags from Stickershock soon for that exact purpose.

So, Matt, how did it go down? Did they contact you directly, or was it the police, or Bob Utley, or Tommy Higgs?

Congrats on your recovery, I hope you learn what went awry.

Tinker

This is the best news I have heard today. Congrats man. Now go out and get yourself a RDF!

Glad to say I'll be going up to the DC area soon to pick this rocket up!

Back