Hyperion--TRA Level 3 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have an iPhone, this app is invaluable. I'll provide the link to the Apple App Store. I know they have an Android app as well, so either way, you're covered. I use it at every launch to see what the winds aloft are at the altitudes I'm expecting to reach. I'm hopeful you'll still get your rocket back, but if not, it's great to see that you're still positive (as much as you can be) and you're turning it into a learning lesson. Good for you Matt and good luck next try!

Windytv / Windyty by Windyty, SE
https://appsto.re/us/-Zvofb.i

That looks extremely useful. That is downloaded on my phone and added to my checklist.

Matt, We were so sad to hear about your L3 on Saturday! Thank you again for hauling our rocket in for us when we met up on the road. I'm hopeful you may still get it back from a good Samaritan that happens to run across it. Someone will notice it!

I'm definitely hoping I get this rocket back. 6 months of work isn't anything to scoff at. :p

@kcobbva, not a problem. The back of our suburban was stuffed with rockets when we got back. ;)

Good luck Matt! It's really just another launch. Nothin to be nervous about. Just fly that bugger!
Oh, and report back...
didn't get the last page and couldn't find the DELETE button.

But, I am really sorry about the MIA. Keep in touch with Bob U. and the MDRA guys. I think there is a pretty good chance it will be found as some point.

Good Luck...

Last edited:
Negative. I'll be posting on a few pages in the coming weeks offering a higher reward for anyone who finds it.

Negative. I'll be posting on a few pages in the coming weeks offering a higher reward for anyone who finds it.

You might want to see if someone could post flyers locally--Farm Bureau, Tractor Supply, whatever that 7-11/Casey's equivalent was called(?), etc.

Why dont you put an ad in the local paper? That way more people from that area will be likely to see it.

Fliers with that possible search area like you posted would be likely helpful I hope some testy B-----d doesn't hold it for a higher price. Me would think the locals would be used to rockets that happen to drift in like yours, especially when it wouldn't be likely to cause any damage. I think it's reasonable to say it likely didn't come down on somebody's abode or outbuildings.
I'd suspect they'd broadcast to friends and family and someone would find out who lost it. Kurt

Fliers with that possible search area like you posted would be likely helpful I hope some testy B-----d doesn't hold it for a higher price. Me would think the locals would be used to rockets that happen to drift in like yours, especially when it wouldn't be likely to cause any damage. I think it's reasonable to say it likely didn't come down on somebody's abode or outbuildings.
I'd suspect they'd broadcast to friends and family and someone would find out who lost it. Kurt

MDRA has been flying there for 20 years. All the locals know to call Tommy Higgs if they find a rocket, that is, if they care about returning it.

Saturday, was not at all favorable for a L3 cert flight, sorry you lost your rocket.

We had scheduled to launch four Big Projects on Saturday. We launched the first just afternoon, "Big Daddy" is 250lb, flying on an O7500. It reached an alt of 7,950', under drogue it drifted off the fields,
main deployed at 2,000' and the rocket continued drifting 2.5 miles before landing in three trees. I took a few hours to locate the rocket and about 8 hours to get it out of the trees. The video is tells the story...

[video=youtube;k9dNn1YTyrk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9dNn1YTyrk&t=162s[/video]

The other three Big Projects were successfully flown on Sunday when the weather was much more favorable...

Last edited:
Hey, someone tell him (unless he sees this first) that I will be out that way at MDRA's next launch on May 20. I could pick it up for him if that helps in any way. Can't drive it to NC ....

Thanks everyone!
I'm awaiting a call back with positive confirmation that it's my rocket. I'm assuming it is, but I want to make sure first. :p

If it is actually mine, my mom has agreed to a road trip up there on Sunday. :D

Another option: I get very good FedEx ground rates from the office, and the place is chock full of boxes suitable for shipping a rocket.

Scratch all of those ideas and come up for our May 20 - 21 launch! Experience the glorious sod farm, and watch/help Tom put up one of his monsters on the away cell.

Awesome news! Get pics on Sunday, and hope it's in good enough condition for you to get your L3!

I just spoke with the gentleman who found it. He's sending a picture in a bit, but I'm pretty confident it's my rocket.

Turns out it was about 6-7 miles from the launch pad.

I just spoke with the gentleman who found it. He's sending a picture in a bit, but I'm pretty confident it's my rocket.

Turns out it was about 6-7 miles from the launch pad.

Holy crap!!!!!! Now imagine if you had gone with the bigger chute!

Back