2017 goals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get used to having trees to contend with.
Join a club and fly with others for the first time.
Fly the rockets that haven't been flown.
Build the scratch level one project I've got in my head and RockSim.
Fly previous.

1) Do more flying. I made it to only one launch this year and it's depressing.
2) Take my daughter to a launch, either a club launch or just to a local park. We built a Skywriter together that she still hasn't gotten to see fly. Also depressing.
3) Fly at least an F motor (haven't gone past E yet).

Goal #1 - Fly rockets and have fun. No pressure or expectations, just do what I want at the time. Or just go watch. Or just help with the range so others can have fun and fly. No worries man.

Absolutely; type it up and I'll sign it... Goal number 1.

Goal 2 - Having just become a REBAR (again), I want to pick up where I left off 15 years ago. That means get my Level 1 done, most likely with my LOC Vulcanite, then go on Level 2. My Level 2 rocket (scratch built, 4" Giant Leap tubes, G-10 fins, 7 feet long give or take) has been built for 15 years, so it's probably time to get that done. Of course, that is all contingent on achieving and maintaining Goal number 1!

Mike

Fly a rocket at a field new to me. Been at Bong and QCRS for near 3 years... Would be nice to hit the Indiana fields and/or make the trek to somewhere further. I'm limited to traveling in summer (between school years), and that's dependent on me not working summer school for the first time in my career... Which might not be economically feasible.

1) Fly more rockets, 2016 wasn't that good.
2) Complete my current build pile, which consists of four kits at this moment (MadCow mini DX3, Wildman Drago 4XL, Wildman Blackhawk 38, and a Gary T Designs Painkiller Micro).
3) Repair damaged Wildman Jart.
4) Purchase/Build a new kit I have my eye on, Wildman Drago 5.
5) Design/Purchase/Build a two stage 54mm Drago, 38mm motor booster and 29mm motor sustainer.
6) Complete Bronze level of NAR's NARTREK program.
7) Fly at Midwest Power.
8) Spend more time with my rocket friends.

Look forward to seeing you pursue your goals. Lost my micro twice last year- once it even had a tracker in it. So this year I'm gonna get the full size painkiller in the air. Maybe I won't lose that one so easily.😃

I have a big list of to-dos for 2017. We'll see how far I get through them.

LPR

• scratch built broadhead design
  • scratch built grid fin design
  • rebuild MIRV kit and get it to fly well this time
  • get better at painting

MPR
  • build Scion with son
  • scale up LPR broadhead
  • scratch build large fin area whistler design I've been playing with

HPR
  • make it to 3+ HPR launches
  • learn to do better FG layups
  • scratch build glassed cardboard 3" model that can do
    • mach 1+
    • 5k'
    • 10k'
  • get L3 with a scratch built 8" model

EX
  • finish parallel beam load cell thrust stand
  • move from sugar motors to composite
  • fully profile composite motor
  • launch on 38mm EX motor

Funny I had none verbalized until I read this dang thread -

All this list are fun to read and then this 👍. Man where do you live? Can I hang out in your shop! Sweet.

My 2016 was Upscale a QCC , an L3 and fly at MWP, all happened in 1 fell swoop!

2017 - hmm , learn more about rocketry!
1. Airfest - but honestly may not happen since it is a popular weekend for my family to get together. But want to for some of the following goals and see CVIII L3 V2 flight!

2. My first RETRIEVED Mach 1 (3" Wildman punisher and MAC Firestick XL will be the vehicles)

3. First successful air start - MWP I failed bad.

4. Get my HAM license

5. Learn APP code - want to play with a flight lop thread maybe

6. Learn DASHWARE

7. Fly to 10K

8. Fly an L

9. Scratch build at least one of these mailing tubes that my customers are nice enough to hold back for me.

The 2 stager I think will be unrealized this year so will likely wait

Oh an #10. Make all rockets I have flight ready! Which includes finishing all the rockets I have sitting there painted and ready - just waiting on Altimeters and AV bays 4 of them !!

Funny I had none verbalized until I read this dang thread -

All this list are fun to read and then this ��. Man where do you live? Can I hang out in your shop! Sweet.

My 2016 was Upscale a QCC , an L3 and fly at MWP, all happened in 1 fell swoop!

2017 - hmm , learn more about rocketry!
1. Airfest - but honestly may not happen since it is a popular weekend for my family to get together. But want to for some of the following goals and see CVIII L3 V2 flight!

2. My first RETRIEVED Mach 1 (3" Wildman punisher and MAC Firestick XL will be the vehicles)

3. First successful air start - MWP I failed bad.

4. Get my HAM license

5. Learn APP code - want to play with a flight lop thread maybe

6. Learn DASHWARE

7. Fly to 10K

8. Fly an L

9. Scratch build at least one of these mailing tubes that my customers are nice enough to hold back for me.

The 2 stager I think will be unrealized this year so will likely wait

Oh an #10. Make all rockets I have flight ready! Which includes finishing all the rockets I have sitting there painted and ready - just waiting on Altimeters and AV bays 4 of them !!

Oh crap, pressure is on. :)

I did pretty well on last year's list - 4 outta 5 including L3, so maybe I can up the game a bit since I probably won't be able to give Exactimator wedgies for much longer.

LPR: NARAM & flyoffs as usual. Maybe finally enter Scale for the first time ever. Reduce build pile. Help DART grow.
MPR: Do an RCBG project.
HPR: 2-stage? BALLS. (easier now that i have a suitable vehicle). Lay plans to attend Thunda 2018 so I can see if rockets actually fly upside down.

-Attend my first LDRS
-Fly to 11k with my Level 2 bird
-successfully fiberglass my tyrannosaur rocket and fly
-complete my tomach with a 54mm mmt and attempt to punch mach
-consider options for my Level 3
-help my kids grow in their rocketry building skills

Finish all the projects I've started from 2015 and 2016.

Find a new house and build a hobby/workshop room.

2) Complete my current build pile, which consists of four kits at this moment (MadCow mini DX3, Wildman Drago 4XL, Wildman Blackhawk 38, and a Gary T Designs Painkiller Micro).
5) Design/Purchase/Build a two stage 54mm Drago, 38mm motor booster and 29mm motor sustainer.
7) Fly at Midwest Power.

With the year almost half over, thought I would look back at my list.
1) Haven't flown as much as I would have liked.
2) Mini DX3 and Drago 4XL built. A few more kits have been added to pile.
3) Jart still not repaired.
4) Drago 5 purchased and built.
5) Materials purchased for two stage Drago but not built. Both booster and sustainer will be 38mm MT.
6) Haven't started on NARTREK.
7) Still in the plans.
8) Never enough time with friends.

Renew NRA & Tripoli membership
Join PARC; re-up Tulsa Tripoli
Build out MPR / LPR Jawstand incl. rails
Finish NARTREK
Participate in TRF Summer Santa
Dominate TRF Summer Buildoff
Attend Airfest & High Frontier
Build thrust stand incl. temp & pressure
Work on autofollow rocketcam
Get a Tripoli record ( the good kind )
Well, I've done about a third of these ; and I think I'll get up to about half.

Turns out building a house & buying a truck is going to change around my plans a bit :)

Well, since I completed about half of my goals from last year, I'll keep it a bit more conservative.

L2 cert
Dual deploy & chute release
Looks like NAPAS could be up and running again so a bit of HPR :clap:
Boatloads of LPR!
I'm going to do a mid-year course correction:
Going to put off L2 until next year. I'd like to have more fun with Hs and Is before I move on to J.
Chute release - check.
Dual deploy - still on for this year.
Still on track for more HPR than last year.
Boatloads of LPR - A bit behind on that but I have about 35 LPR ready to go with an ammo case full of LPR motors.
And another recent goal for this year is to focus on flight reliability and to improve success rate(fewer CATOs, recovery separations and lawn darts)

7) Fly at Midwest Power.

A look back at 2017.
1) 2017 was a little better than 2016.
2) Completed first two kits on list but added more to build pile.
3) Not completed.
4) Completed
5) Purchased but not built.
6) Not completed, on list for 2018.
7) Weather didn’t cooperate, on list for 2018.
8) Never enough time.

- Finish my L3 project, and successfully fly it (in primer)
- Break 3 miles AGL (previous best 13.9k)
- Break Mach 1.63, i.e. 1250 mph (previous best Mach 1.37)
- Go back to Airfest (none of the above can happen without this one)

Almost made it.

-Finished L3 project, but failed cert when I dumped the main at apogee.
-Broke 18k.
-Hit Mach 2.3
-All of above was at Airfest.

Had fun with it all.

I will start by assuming the BroncBuster II is completed and ready to fly by New Years.
--Fly Big SAM again (H225)
--Test Chute Release in BroncBuster II, then fly it on an H, I
--Build modified Ventris (Vertigo II) with transition ebay for main deployment testing, then fly it on an H or I
--Build modified Argent (Unnamed) with transition ebay for apogee deployment testing, then fly on an H or I
--Build modified Partizon (H.A.P.I) with ebay for Dual-deploy training, then fly on an H or I
--Buy (and hopefully build) Madcow Phoenix for next official Hi-power rocket, fly an I
--Build whatever I got for Secret Santa from AC Supply Co :)
--Get certain other items from wishlist to round out Lo-power fleet (need more 24mm and don't have 13mm yet)
--Continue planning L2: modified Loc Cruiser (dual deploy) Possibly another L1 h-power electronics training craft.

I forgot about this list. Is 2018 up yet?
So I'll give myself a 90%?

-Flew Big SAM 3x including my first I (so I get credit for that one too lol)
-Tested the Chute Release, flew Broncbuster II on an H, lost both in an undiscovered tree.....
-Built Vertigo II, flew a G118, still need the H. Main deployment is perfect.
-Built Fissile Missile (Argent), flew it on G38 and F40. Apogee deployment worked perfectly, had a hangup on the last main deployment, its almost fixed now.
-Started building H.A.P.I. last week........ Still need the Bay caps and sled printed.
-Got the Phoenix in Secret Santa! It'll go on next year's list.
-Greystar Voyager built and flown! (from SS '16)
-Got a Fletcher, Astron Skydart, and 24mm Honest John (with assorted others) in SS in July '17. Built the Fletcher and Skydart. Bought and Built a QCC Explorer and Sequoia.
-Bought the Cruiser for L2, a 54mm slimline, some aftermarket parts, and a Missileworks T3 to practice tracking!

Make more than the three HPR launches I made this year

Get my L2

Resist buying more kits until I take a sizeable chunk out of the current build pile. Black Friday all bets are off. :)

Host the TRF summer buildoff contest

Get others interested in the hobby. Current idea is to do a high power demo launch at one of the RC airplane events in the area.

Project list:
Finish the Polecat BBIII (L2 project)
Madcow mini Frenzy, BBII, and cardboard Pike
Madcow BBII 2.6"
Wildman Drago XL 4" (also onboard video with this one)
Madcow Sea Wolf 4"
Pemberton Kraken
FlisKits Mini Mercury Redstone
Big Daddy glassed and 38mm motor mount
Plus some other LPR kits on the wall, but the above list is going to keep me pretty busy

Fly as many motors as I can in the back yard with my daughter.

Check, check, fail miserably, fail, check, and six of the ten on my project list done, plus one or two new ideas I had during the year.

All in all, meh, should probably lower my expectations for this year. And not even lie to myself about holding off on buying stuff. I'm gonna buy stuff, stuff that I probably don't need and can't justify. How's that for a goal.

Hmm. I have a few things I'd like to get done

Level 2, I have the hardware, may as well use it, at least once
Air starts
Tracking

Finish:
Madcow Tembo (juiced to a 54MMT)
Big Daddy
Mega Mosquito

Build:
Binder Design Tyrannosaur and use it for my L2
Super Neon XL
LOC Viper IV and use it to break into air starts

Get this scratch built, tube fin rocket in my head built
Not buy any more until I complete the above list - unless I splurge on a MAC Performance kit.

Forgot all about this.

So let's see. I did:
Level 2
Tracking

Finished none of those three listed under "Finish".

Built all three under "Build" but only one got finished and flew, the Tyrannosaur.

Didn't even work on the scratch tube fin other than purchase a nose cone.
I didn't buy any kits. That is a major victory for me.

So I am 6 for 10.
I lost interest again in the smaller stuff so the Mosquito, Big Daddy (I have a regular flyer already), and Super Neon likely wont get finished this year either.

Building goals
Build a MD rocket (RW Mongoose 54)
Learn how do tip-to-tip layups with both FG and CF (related to the previous goal)
3D printed sled
Scratch build an upscale Estes Magnum Payloader

Flying goals ​(all will require travel to a field with a higher waiver)
L2 (almost there)
Play with onboard video
Break mach 1 (Holdover from last year. I'm too chicken to build and fly the Mongoose.)
HPR 2 stage
20,000 ft (Ambitious because I'm not even close to this yet.)

Most important goal
Keep my kids building things instead of playing video games!

Originally Posted by Nathan
Go a whole year without crashing a rocket.

^^^^this! (It definitely wasn't true for my flight record in 2016.)

Wow. I struck out on a lot of this. I did get my L2, took several in-flight videos, and I learned how to do tip-to-tip (to repair my rocket for the L2 flight).

I tried electronic staging twice and failed twice, and I didn't even attempt to break Mach. Those goals will carry over to next year.

But most importantly, my kids love building rockets! That is my real goal for all of this.

(And I didn't crash or lose any of my rockets in 2017, but I can't claim the same for my kids.)

Last edited:
Renew NRA & Tripoli membership
Join PARC; re-up Tulsa Tripoli
Build out MPR / LPR Jawstand incl. rails
Finish NARTREK
Participate in TRF Summer Santa
Dominate TRF Summer Buildoff
Attend Airfest & High Frontier
Build thrust stand incl. temp & pressure
Work on autofollow rocketcam
Get a Tripoli record ( the good kind )

Yup, half, nope, nope, yup, nope, half, nope, nope, nope.

3/10, we'll just set the same for 2018

Back