2017 goals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, since I completed about half of my goals from last year, I'll keep it a bit more conservative.

L2 cert
Dual deploy & chute release
Looks like NAPAS could be up and running again so a bit of HPR :clap:
Boatloads of LPR!

Nope, no and yes, yes(@ NYPower and TripoliMN), and YES!

Pretty good considering how busy my 2nd half of 2017 was.

* Watch my son fly his 2 stage project
* Fly my own 2 stage
* Fly a hybrid
* Work on 3 stage project ;-)
* Fly a research motor
* Finish stuff in the build pile to make more space in the lab!
Watch son fly 2 stage- yes!
Fly my own 2 stage - fail : (
Hybrid - :(
Work on 3 stage - lots of learning with 2 stage projects telling me to hold off on it...
Research motor fail. :(
Clean up build pile - yes!!!

Sent from my LG-V521 using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Fly a rocket at a field new to me. Been at Bong and QCRS for near 3 years... Would be nice to hit the Indiana fields and/or make the trek to somewhere further. I'm limited to traveling in summer (between school years), and that's dependent on me not working summer school for the first time in my career... Which might not be economically feasible.
Done and done...
Made it out to New York for URRF. With luck, I'll be back in 2018!

Since I started this thread, I guess I'll chime in. Looks like I only managed 3 of the 10 builds that I'd planned (54mm MAC Radial Flyer, 54mm MAC Scorpion, Smokin'38), plus one other that was done more impromptu when it seemed like a good idea at the time (a MAC-based Patriot PAC3). Funny how priorities change; I didn't make as many flights as in the past either.

My list was a bit optimistic. :p

Let's see how I did...

LPR

• DONE - scratch built broadhead design
  • NOT STARTED - scratch built grid fin design
  • DONE - rebuild MIRV kit and get it to fly well this time
  • DEBATABLE - get better at painting

MPR

• DONE - build Scion with son
  • NOT STARTED (model too unstable to trust scaleup) - scale up LPR broadhead
  • NOT STARTED - scratch build large fin area whistler design I've been playing with

HPR

• DONE - make it to 3+ HPR launches
  • DONE - learn to do better FG layups
  • NOT STARTED - scratch build glassed cardboard 3" model that can do
    • mach 1+
    • 5k'
    • 10k'

• DONE (woohoo) - get L3 with a scratch built 8" model

EX

• DONE - finish parallel beam load cell thrust stand
  • STARTED - move from sugar motors to composite
  • NOT STARTED - fully profile composite motor
  • NOT STARTED - launch on 38mm EX motor

My list was extremely modest, but I seem to have made 3 for 3, for what it's worth.

1) Do more flying. I made it to only one launch this year and it's depressing.
I made a whopping 2 launches in 2017. Still not enough, but better. :)

2) Take my daughter to a launch, either a club launch or just to a local park. We built a Skywriter together that she still hasn't gotten to see fly. Also depressing.
Got her to a Radical Rocketeers launch in September, and finally flew her Skywriter and a Crayon rocket that I acquired in the interim. Unfortunately, the wind was blowing in the worst possible direction and we lost the Skywriter in some impenetrable scrub on the first flight, although she wasn't too broken up about it. Even more unfortunately she didn't come out of it too eager to go again. I might try to drag her to a GSSS launch this year, see if that's more her speed.

3) Fly at least an F motor (haven't gone past E yet).
Done! Flew my upscale Quinstar a couple of times on F15s.

2017 - hmm , learn more about rocketry!
1. Airfest - but honestly may not happen since it is a popular weekend for my family to get together. But want to for some of the following goals and see CVIII L3 V2 flight!

2. My first RETRIEVED Mach 1 (3" Wildman punisher and MAC Firestick XL will be the vehicles)

3. First successful air start - MWP I failed bad.

4. Get my HAM license

5. Learn APP code - want to play with a flight lop thread maybe

6. Learn DASHWARE

7. Fly to 10K

8. Fly an L

9. Scratch build at least one of these mailing tubes that my customers are nice enough to hold back for me.

The 2 stager I think will be unrealized this year so will likely wait

Oh an #10. Make all rockets I have flight ready! Which includes finishing all the rockets I have sitting there painted and ready - just waiting on Altimeters and AV bays 4 of them !!

#1 - Done AF was awesome
#2 - DONE , a few times with MAC Firestick and the Ultimate QCC
#3 - no attempt
#4 - no attempt
#5 - no, I don’t even know what that means
#6 - no
#7 - DONE a few times and 3 Miles
#8 - DONE - Mac Firestick XL L640
#9 - no threw them away
#10 - no but this is a goal every year and may take precedence this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Absolutely; type it up and I'll sign it... Goal number 1.

Goal 2 - Having just become a REBAR (again), I want to pick up where I left off 15 years ago. That means get my Level 1 done, most likely with my LOC Vulcanite, then go on Level 2. My Level 2 rocket (scratch built, 4" Giant Leap tubes, G-10 fins, 7 feet long give or take) has been built for 15 years, so it's probably time to get that done. Of course, that is all contingent on achieving and maintaining Goal number 1!

Mike

Well, lessee... Did achieve goal number 1, though not as often as I would have liked. Failed at the rest.

2017 was kind of a weird year for me; a lot of changes, especially toward the end (Good ones,though)! So I guess I'll just try for goal 2 again this year, just in a different venue. Hope to see you all at an AARG launch very soon!

Back