Latest and greatest whim.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
57 yrs old and just now learning to play guitar.
So far I LOVE it.
Ibanez electric acoustic AE ?????.
Nice ax. Tiger maple blue and white trim w/ bone-shell(?) inlay on the frets and head.
Paid $99. Found the original receipt in the case..$450.

First song I learned..Pink Floyd, "Wish You Where Here". I can play ALL of it. Intro and the works. Beautiful song.
I can do a little Stone Sour (Looking thru the glass) and some Stain (Outside).
Areosmith(Season of wither) and a few other songs.

Good for you. Isn't great to learn something new and in my case it was becoming an EMT at 50 years old.

I used to play guitar. I played mostly "rock" from Jimi Hendrix/Doors/AC DC to Nirvana/Metallica/Korn. Those were the days. I had a Pearl acoustic and an Epiphone electric. I no longer have either. In my 20's I went through hard times and sold almost all my stuff. I still have my Fender tube amp, fx pedals, cables, books, etc. Someday, maybe, I might be another kind of BAR - Born Again Rocker!

Good for you, Scott! One can never have too many hobbies. Music is a passion that you either have, or you don't.

I used to play in some local bands. We were connected with a radio station, and we got to open for the Beach Boys, Three Dog Night, The Guess Who, Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, Peter Noone, and others. We played in front of 15,000 people at an outdoor concert once. Awesome!

I also have my own digital recording studio, but I haven't done anything musical since 2009. That's when my daughter was born. I had to disassemble my equipment and shove everything into the corners to make storage space for baby stuff.

If I posted a cover of myself doing the Beatles, would anybody want to listen?

Scotty, how are you learning? Getting structured lessons or tablature/sheet music books?

I was always self-taught but I wondered if I'd have been better off being taught professionally.

Good for you, Scott! One can never have too many hobbies. Music is a passion that you either have, or you don't.

I used to play in some local bands. We were connected with a radio station, and we got to open for the Beach Boys, Three Dog Night, The Guess Who, Smokey Robinson, the Temptations, Peter Noone, and others. We played in front of 15,000 people at an outdoor concert once. Awesome!

I also have my own digital recording studio, but I haven't done anything musical since 2009. That's when my daughter was born. I had to disassemble my equipment and shove everything into the corners to make storage space for baby stuff.

AWESOME!
I love music. Especialy live music. Always wanted to play some kind of instrument. Bottom line, didn't have the commitment in me to learn. I tried many a things, but this time I, as they say ,"Made it over the hump." I put the time and effort in and can now pick up the guitar and make MUSIC!

Be back..just got a call,need to run down street and jump start a friends car... to be cont.t......i...n....

Twins sons of different Mothers! Have had a studio off and on again for years. Keyboards and drums. At one time ( a looong time ago) my insurance agent walked into the house to write me insurance for a waterbed (told you it was a long time ago) and he stopped dead in his tracks in the doorway and surveyed the the dining room and said very quietly but forcefully. "Oh. Hell. No." Seems I'd under-reported my gear and he wanted a separate policy right then and there. It was so bad at one time I had to have a two page instruction manual for my wife just to turn on the stereo! She did love me so much she bought me a digital studio recording workshop for my 40th b-day, but now I only play for myself. Play us out, brother man!

57 yrs old and just now learning to play guitar.
So far I LOVE it.
Ibanez electric acoustic AE ?????.
Nice ax. Tiger maple blue and white trim w/ bone-shell(?) inlay on the frets and head.
Paid $99. Found the original receipt in the case..$450.

First song I learned..Pink Floyd, "Wish You Where Here". I can play ALL of it. Intro and the works. Beautiful song.
I can do a little Stone Sour (Looking thru the glass) and some Stain (Outside).
Areosmith(Season of wither) and a few other songs.
Oh Dog! That's my fave PF song! Post it, post it, post it! I've had 6 different guys in as many bands try to teach me guitar (I love the 12 string) but no go-I just can't get there. I even suck at the bass. The best I've ever done is a lap steel, most likely 'cuz it's closer to a keyboard. So jealous, but rock on with your bad self and give us a taste, too!

Oh Dog! That's my fave PF song! So jealous, but rock on with your bad self and give us a taste, too!
Pink Floyd is ,well, either you get it or you don't.
Love the stuff.
Story told, I bought the Ibanez guitar and a Fender Acoustica amp back in April of 2016.
I was up town having me first check up at the heart docs after getting me stents.
Walked out of the docs and the wife asked what I wanted to do, I said, "We are going to the music store. There is something I want to try and with the latest issues in life, its now or never."
And the rest is history.
I don't think I posted anything about it back then. Wanted to see how far this new adventure would go.
I've been known to try a lot of things and when the newness wears off..oh well.
Some may remember awhile back I picked up the Sax.
Well, that thing has been in the case for a few years now.
I was a smoker back then and I had some dental issues and had to put the sax down for awhile.
Its been a long while. kinda sad actually.
Anywhoo...I'll post a vid someday.. Been saying all along I'm going to make a You Tube vid..ha ha ha

I have a nice bright tye dye T-shirt. A cool ,reeeeeeeeeeal tall top/chimney sweep type black hat, cool shades and a white beard. Should go viral in no time! :lol::roll::lol:

Last edited:
Music! I'm honestly thinking about buying and learning how to pay a guitar. I need something to do around here.

[video=youtube;xo1aft5wX6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1aft5wX6o[/video]

Oh, and @hobie1dog... Have you met Wonko The Sane? Now there's a Hoopy Frood who knows where his towel is.

AWESOME!
I love music. Especialy live music. Always wanted to play some kind of instrument. Bottom line, didn't have the commitment in me to learn. I tried many a things, but this time I, as they say ,"Made it over the hump." I put the time and effort in and can now pick up the guitar and make MUSIC!

Be back..just got a call,need to run down street and jump start a friends car... to be cont.t......i...n....
I'm back..ya, I liked to see a selfie of you doing some tune-age. (BAt-mite)

Knowing my luck, if I was able to afford a guitar, it'd probably get destroyed in transit, and/or parts would be missing, lost, or otherwise be unavailable to me, despite the manufacturer being located in the next city over.

Music! I'm honestly thinking about buying and learning how to pay a guitar. I need something to do around here.

[video=youtube;xo1aft5wX6o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo1aft5wX6o[/video]
HMMMmmmmmmmmm. LZ sounding

Good for you. Isn't great to learn something new and in my case it was becoming an EMT at 50 years old.
Good for you. I know a dude that went into med stuff late in life and is a nurse now. He stared as an EMT also.

I'm just getting back into playing my guitars after barely picking them up in many years. Restarting with fingering exercises and some Ventures songs. Just built a Surfy Bear outboard reverb in a Harbor Freight 17" toolbox. it sounds as good as the old Fender tank reverbs at about 1/4 the price.

SurfyBear_sm.jpg

That's awesome!
I've tried several times to learn Guitar, and though I have great dexterity at drawing and scribing, my Guitar ability is laughable at best.
I eventually got a yukulele, so I could make up stuff and it would sound choppy and scratchy on purpose.
Good on you for taking on such a challenging hobby.

That's awesome!
I've tried several times to learn Guitar, and though I have great dexterity at drawing and scribing, my Guitar ability is laughable at best.
I eventually got a ukulele, so I could make up stuff and it would sound choppy and scratchy on purpose.
Good on you for taking on such a challenging hobby.

Hey Scotty Dog!
Congrats on the guitar score! Sounds like a good one.
I've recently got back on the piano. Played piano accordion for years, my right hand is good, my left hand doesn't know keys.
It's finally coming together. The best thing is the mental exercise. This video shows what's going on:

[video=youtube;R0JKCYZ8hng]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0JKCYZ8hng&t=2s[/video]

Take a listen to my favorite guitarist, Tommy Emmanuel - Scary good player and a nice guy.

[video=youtube;h9C-7Q2GhZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9C-7Q2GhZM[/video]

Hey Scotty Dog!
Congrats on the guitar score! Sounds like a good one.
I've recently got back on the piano.

-Scary good player
Ya,I didn't mention it was a used guitar. I looked it up and it was all of $400.00 in its day.
Ill take a pic of it.
Last Friday I scored a Peavey Rage 158 amp, FAB distortion pedal, Digitech RP90 Modeling Guitar PROCESSOR w/ AudioDNA 2 DSP, a bunch of cables and an Ibanez GIO electric guitar.
Guy let me have it all for $150.00 The guitar is low end for sure,BUT, it will do me for the time being where it is in space.
The processor is awesome. Had a ball the other night making noises with it and the GIO.Havent tried the FAB pedal yet.
I found the FAB pedal in the guitar case after I got the stuff home. It was a bonus!
Anywhoo- I have enough stuff for a beginner to make enough noise to drive people out of the house. :lol:
I love the key board. I can make noise on one of those also. Growing up we had a Baldwin organ in the house.
I remember being in the mall when I was about 13-14 and there was a guy playing an electric piano..OMG!! It was not a key board, it was piece of furniture Never forget that day.Such a nice sound.

PS. I have to be careful of those scary good players and not get discouraged.

Last edited:
.... It was so bad at one time I had to have a two page instruction manual for my wife just to turn on the stereo!...

Ha, That's funny right there! :lol:

At my house, no one touches my A/V gear without first showing me their engineering degree! :cool:

Well, crap! TRF won't let me upload an MP3, even if it is zipped with a .zip extension. Sorry, folks.

If I was closer we'd flashmob your house with video equipment and make you a youtube viral star!
How things have changed. Used to be the thrill that'll gitcha when you get your picture
On the cover of the Rollin' Stone.

Scotty, how are you learning? Getting structured lessons or tablature/sheet music books?

I was always self-taught but I wondered if I'd have been better off being taught professionally.
I missed the "Q"..sorry.
Im self taught at this point.Or should say "You-Tube taught. I like this guy called Marty Schwartz. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmnlTWVJysjWPFiZhQ5uudg Im thinking of maybe a real pro lesson at some point. Like now..Im having trouble with a few things. Maybe a hint or two is all it will take to "Get It".

Last edited:
Back