Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! Safe travels.

NAR # 37682

All the weird kids are doing it!

If at first you don't succeed... You're about average.

Thanks Tango!

Coincidentally, I'll be speeding through Dallas to stop at my sister's in Ft Worth later this week.
    I may just take my motor box home with me and scout out a field to test Goldfinger II and BroncBuster II.

Quote Originally Posted by Nytrunner View Post
    Thanks Tango!

Coincidentally, I'll be speeding through Dallas to stop at my sister's in Ft Worth later this week.
    I may just take my motor box home with me and scout out a field to test Goldfinger II and BroncBuster II.
    no fair you having fun and such...

Thanks Caber! I looked for Leviathan's and only found them for $56+ and usually ~$70. And I didn't think to post in he [Wanted] section, nor did I know that a club member has two of them still bagged in his storage.
    Yeah he is definitely a collector; I'll wager a crap ton of $$ that he has donated more of those kits to the club than I have ever built in my entire life (and I'm well over 150+ since 1976). And they are not the junk cheapies either!

fm
    Last edited by Forever_Metal; 21st December 2016 at 03:08 PM.
    "What have I learned since retiring after 20 years in the Navy? The world continues to get weirder and weirder..."
    L1 - Madcow 2.6 Arcas / First Flight / AT100W-14 / May 7th, 2016
    L2 - Madcow 4.0 Patriot DD (Flight Ready, postponed till mid 2017)
    L3 - Scratch Upscale ASM (2018)

Very likely. When I get out of work, I'll run a model with simple rounded edges and we shall see!
    Ever since I was a kid I've been asking "but why does it work?", so the investigation will likely never end.

10 more Pro Series II fins to sand into shape, so I will need to get SOMEthing. I had Secret Santa, holiday travel, and a Chute release to buy, so I figured giving manual sanding a try once wouldn't hurt (much). With the dremel, my only worry is uniformity, or accidentally carving round divots in a thinned trailing edge. I'm still really attached to the idea of a belt sander though. It's coverage allows the whole edge (or at least large portions of a really long edge) to be in contact at a time. Plus, I'm used to shaping with them (back when I had a university machine shop full of fun things to use).
    Nyt,

Give this a try. If you'd like I'll bring this attachment to the next meeting in Jan 2017...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17df8e181ef12d17985ab0298c55e165.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	307761Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hqdefault.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	307762

You'll need a variable speed dremel (with the flex attachment as a plus for control) so you can slow it down for balsa and bass, plus I'd recommend a fixture designed to hold either the attachment or the wood to keep it consistent and safe. I'd been looking for a solution for years and years 'cause I too have been tortured by the block and 60 grit chlorophyll based fiber grinder!

fm
    Last edited by Forever_Metal; 21st December 2016 at 03:13 PM.
    "What have I learned since retiring after 20 years in the Navy? The world continues to get weirder and weirder..."

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Metal View Post
    Nyt,

Give this a try. If you'd like I'll bring this attachment to the next meeting in Jan 2017...

You'll need a variable speed dremel (with the flex attachment as a plus for control) so you can slow it down for balsa and bass, plus I'd recommend a fixture designed to hold either the attachment or the wood to keep it consistent and safe. I'd been looking for a solution for years and years 'cause I too have been tortured by the block and 60 grit chlorophyll based fiber grinder!

fm
    Very cool looking attachment. What is it called?
    NAR #100940, RIMRA & CMASS
    L1 - 4/17/16, Tyrannosaur (by Binder Design), Loki H144
    Dual Deploy - 11/12/16, Tyrannosaur + Eggtimer TRS, Loki I405

no fair you having fun and such...
    Just saw that its going to be mid-high 70s Christmas week in the Rio Grande Valley (old home). Beach time!

Nyt,

I'd been looking for a solution for years and years 'cause I too have been tortured by the block and 60 grit chlorophyll based fiber grinder!

fm
    I'll gladly take a look at it if you bring it. The pictures alone aren't making the connection for me yet.

Chlorophyll based fiber grinder?

Just saw that its going to be mid-high 70s Christmas week in the Rio Grande Valley (old home). Beach time!

I'll gladly take a look at it if you bring it. The pictures alone aren't making the connection for me yet.

Chlorophyll based fiber grinder?
    Here's a video...

https://www.dremel.com/en_US/video/-...baseboard-trim

Takes about a 64th each pass. Makes shaping plywood fins a little easier!

fm
    Last edited by Forever_Metal; 28th December 2016 at 04:48 AM.

Didn't get to go to the beach while I was visiting the hometown. But I did get some great 70's weather and fly rockets!
    Including the first flight of the BroncBuster II!
    This was launched on an old turf-farm in a floodway south of my house (and ~4 miles north of the US/Mex border).
    My brother is the one you can hear in the video. The wind totally canceled out my countdown downwind.
    (For any cloud watchers out there, ceiling was ~1600 ft. Well out of this range on the F50)

Details in the vid description:
    "I'm at least 70% confident about whatever I say (90% of the time)"- college me

NAR 101195
    Level 1: Big SAM, 9/10/16

Broncbuster II is getting a nosejob, but not definitely not to take weight off.

Some time before I joined the forum, I read Tonimus's Patriot build and really liked the method he used for a variable weight emplacement. If I want to be able to fly it on small H's and still get it off the ground on F's, adjustable weight is gonna be necessary.

Thanks to Nat at Upscale CNC, I have a great set of rings and bulhkeads for 3", 2.5", and 2" Pro Series II cones. That covers the Ventris and Argent cones, but I'll need another 2.5" set for the Partizon (+AV bulkheads for the Vent/Arg/Part). Just need to adjust the holes to accept some T-nuts or weld nuts, and order some coupler nuts from mcmaster.

Name:	IMG_20170107_204755266.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	308839

Car decided it wanted a new radiator and water pump as a late Christmas present. Thats going to eat at the rocket budget if I still want to pretend to be a responsible adult.

Fortunately I've got my Secret Santa Black Star Voyager to keep me busy for.....awhile (still slightly scared to start it). Plus this little Sequoia I got on sale at Hobby lobby. Figured I'd see if I can stuff an Estesmeter in a 13mm rocket .

Name:	IMG_20170104_191158098.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	54.5 KB 
ID:	309314
    Got my coupler nuts from Mcmaster and have the nose weight fixture all ready now. It's still stable with Single use G's, but if I want to put cased reloads in, I'll be able to adjust as necessary now.

And now I've got to make a decision......what 29mm hardware to invest in....
    Do I gamble that CTI will get back into full production? I love the ease of use of the Cesaroni stuff
    Or do I start to trying to figure out the AT luber-tubes. My only experience there is helping build my old IREC team's 75mm M. The 40-120 case has a lot of reloads, but to fly thin H's I'd need to get the RMS 29 stuff too...
    1st world problems...

Name:	IMG_20170111_211238424.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	309313

I should stop thinking this thing is finished.....I just keep messing with it.

There wasn't room for washers (other than lock washers), so I made some epoxy collar/disk/things to protect the plywood.

Name:	IMG_20170116_212435830.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	309665