MPC Lunar Patrol Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
Hi, ya’ll,
Being a BAR and one who enjoys writing and taking lots of cel-phone photos, it is only natural that I should try my hand at an illustrated model rocket build series.
You can follow this one at my blog:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
I hope you will find it entertaining and informative. Enjoy!

Sorry to those of you who followed the link to a blog that no longer exists. I have not had the time resources to keep the blog updated, so I will post the Lunar Patrol build series here...

To get started, I have posted some photos of my original LPs. The first is of the remains of my original Lunar Patrol kit, built in 1973-4. It was the recipient of a defective MPC engine. The booster was totaled, but the gliders were still intact.
20161201_071227.jpg

In 1975, I scratch-built a new booster rocket out of Estes parts and renamed the model Lunar Patrol II. The original kit gliders were flown in this configuration. This model turned in many successful flights over the following years, but was sold with the rest of the collection in 1985.
20161201_071308.jpg

And now, the BAR build- started in 2016..Still substituting Estes parts, but building nearer to the original kit as possible. Since there are still minor differences, this version will likely be named Lunar Patrol III.
First, the plan printouts from JimZ...

20161201_043644.jpg

Fin and wing templates prepared….

20161201_043800.jpg

Body tubes cut to length – Main booster tube -12”, booster side tubes-3”, and the glider fuselages -6”. All convenient lengths. The nose cone is Estes which is very similar in length as the original MPC version.

20161201_044053.jpg

And a nice piece of C-grain balsa for the glider wings. Found this gem at Home Depot, of all places!

20161201_044308.jpg

Stay tuned for more.....

Last edited:
Back in the day, I had a MPC Lunar Patrol in my "First Fleet", Alas it was lost to vandel breakin in the late 70's. MPC's Lunar Patrol was one of those models that always performed well. So as I've shifted from LPR's to Micro Maxx I just had to down scale the Lunar Patrol to T3 body. Flys as well as the orginal. Gliders are fairly easy to see even at 125-150ft on a single MMX-II.

Just TOOOOOO KEWL!

Lunar Patrol-sm_1st Fleet MPC 2 glider b&w_12-17-72.jpg

318p10-sm_MM Lunar Patrol Complete(115dpi)_07-29-06.jpg

Hey, MM,
Fine looking LPs there. I think the Lunar Patrol still ranks as one of my favorite rockets from the 'old days' fleet. That's why I wish to have a new one to enjoy in the BAR era!

Wow, one of my first successful glider models was the Lunar Patrol. I painted one glider fluorescent red, the other fluorescent blue. Flew nicely. Had a lot of fun with it. Might do a scale-up someday with rudder-only R/C in each glider, BT-50, 30mm, or BT-55 size, power by a D12.

Part Six of the Lunar Patrol build is now posted on the blog.
See the link below...

Back