Who is excited for winter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best thing about winter is that they finally harvest the soy beans and our club can use our big farm field.

Worst thing about winter is trying to screw in tiny shear pins with frozen fingers.

I discovered silk glove liners about 10 years ago. They're great for outside finger work in the cold. A good pair will be almost skin tight, insulate fairly well and allow almost full control as if you weren't wearing gloves. I highly recommend them for any outdoor, cold-weather activity where you need good dexterity. I've used this brand a lot and they wear well: https://www.campmor.com/c/terramar-thermasilk-cs-glove-liners

Maybe you just need to stay away from fruit? :)
Tough to do when you're at a winery and cider mill.

I gladly left that crap in Connecticut.
I had an aunt and uncle who were born, met and were married in Connecticut but ended up in Houston. When I visited one time, they commented that they got lots of snow there; they just keep it all in Colorado.

New England is a great place to spend winter. My move to Western New York in January 1981 was greeted with minus 18 degrees on my first morning. Glad to be back in New England.

Myself, I love the four seasons. Winter and Summer are the price we pay for Autumn and Spring. At least winter kills the bugs and lets us fly sparkies.

Let me throw this out there -
Who would be up for an informal TRF contest this winter consisting of doing a model rocket launch in the coldest temperature? Proof would be a photo of the launch with a clearly readable thermometer in the view. Prize would be bragging rights!
I'd be willing to give it a try!

Love the snow, hate the slush. But I do admit to getting a kick out of driving in the snow and I find it funny pulling up to the lights at the base of a hill and you can see the fear on everyone's face waiting for the inevitable. Lights turn green and everyone sits there slowly pulling away, or not lol. Reminds me of the Midas "police chase winter tire" commercial.

[video=youtube;0id9fUYb95A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0id9fUYb95A[/video]

Who would be up for an informal TRF contest this winter consisting of doing a model rocket launch in the coldest temperature? Proof would be a photo of the launch with a clearly readable thermometer in the view. Prize would be bragging rights!

How many include snow shoes in their winter field kit?!

Winter means TARC season, so we're out there on many Saturdays in nearly all conditions. Year before last, it was negative when we were heading to the field and it didn't get about 10 the whole day. Good thing we had the tent and heater... and snow shovels.

I'm excited for SPRING.

As a rocket flier, being excited for Winter is about like being excited for 20 mph winds.

Last edited:
https://dlnjumhieeujc.cloudfront.ne...83cbde22/87da524bc66549a8be8c65abbcd26412.jpg

while not as common as they once were (now replaced with tractors these re some of the coolest vehicles in Montreal. Swarms of them appear after each & every snowfall..

(I really do need to make the "how streets are cleared in Montreal in Winter" document.. quite the process! and the snow removal budget is in the millions!)

They are cool. We have two in our local snowmobile club to pull groomers on some of our smaller secondary trails

I'm not looking forward to colder temps. This time of year I skin deer for xtra rocket money
and it isn't easy skinning with gloves on. After skinning I have to wash/hose down the carcass.
That's a pile of deer hides to my right, all salted down by me. A hide buyer from Missouri comes
and buys them after deer season's over. Last year I got $4.oo per hide x 160. So working outside
with cold bloody wet hands is no fun. I'll be glad to get my build table back after hunting season
closes. Right now it's taken over with Euro mounts.
20161127_135421.jpgdeer skinner.jpg

Excited for winter???

Yup that's crazy talk in my neighborhood. :flyingpig:

Skies are mostly overcast here from October till May. We usually get between 3 and 5 feet of snow (total) during and average "winter" - and yes I have seen it snow in October and May here.

It has been unseasonably warm here recently. Every day this week it's been ABOVE freezing. But just wait until January, there are always a few days in January when the mercury doesn't even bother to show up!

Yes - I would be excited for winter if I lived in Honolulu!!!:lol:

I love winter. Fall is the best, it's a nice break from our 6 month summer. Unfortunately fall on!y lasts about 2 weeks. So winter is the next best thing. Snow is great in small doses, we had a record winter a couple years back, with 3 "snows" in a month. It was great. Snow is great to play in and vacation in, but working, living, driving and so on...sucks. I have spent winters in Pennsylvania, New York, Michigan, and Wisconsin and several more cold states. That was pretty rough. Y'all can have those brutal winters. In Green Bay the bank sign said -4 degrees one lovely morning, that's too much.

I'll take one our Januaries over one of our Augusts any day of the week.

But for those who launch on farms, summer is the off-season.

Look for a frozen lake! Basically a small desert in the winter.................

I am glad to see other winter lovers here. I feel like I finally found a support group!

They are cool. We have two in our local snowmobile club to pull groomers on some of our smaller secondary trails

I run a big Tucker snowcat on our trails here (Whitney Point Ridge Riders). Love the winter, and I like running the snow cat as much as snowmobiling on the trails, maybe more. Just going out all night in the woods, really fun.

Montreal is budgeting $158 million for this season's snow removal.. just looked up the cost in this year's annual budget..

$158 Million!

I'm not a huge fan of winter, and as I get older, I like it less and less. It's not the cold, because it doesn't get cold here and doesn't snow at all. It's the darkness and lack of light. I think it affects my mood.

Yep, I'd have cabin fever if I lived anywhere where it got really cold and you couldn't go outside. One of my college Psych teachers was from the midwest and he had depression really bad every winter. He read a study about using Daylight lamps (like they use for lizards) to treat winter depression. He said he put in a bunch of DL lamps in his house and he felt better. Of course after he moved to CA he felt MUCH better. I've always remembered that and I try to work in well lit areas whenever I can. As a matter of fact we just put in 6x LED flood lamps in our living room because it was always too dark and gloomy. It feels better already.

I'm not a huge fan of winter, and as I get older, I like it less and less. It's not the cold, because it doesn't get cold here and doesn't snow at all. It's the darkness and lack of light. I think it affects my mood.

Yep, I'd have cabin fever if I lived anywhere where it got really cold and you couldn't go outside. One of my college Psych teachers was from the midwest and he had depression really bad every winter. He read a study about using Daylight lamps (like they use for lizards) to treat winter depression. He said he put in a bunch of DL lamps in his house and he felt better. Of course after he moved to CA he felt MUCH better. I've always remembered that and I try to work in well lit areas whenever I can. As a matter of fact we just put in 6x LED flood lamps in our living room because it was always too dark and gloomy. It feels better already.

I went to Humboldt State University up in Arcata, CA where it rains a LOT. After I graduated, I wanted to live in the area, so I got a job up there. It was so hard to get through the winters! When you are a student, your day is broken up, and you have plenty of opportunity to be outside, just going from class to class. Even if it is raining, you get out. Once I started working, I would wake up, drive to work in the dark pouring down rain, work inside all day, then drive home in the dark pouring down rain. At least 6 months out of the year, that was the routine. After awhile, I couldn't stand it, and I had to move.

It absolutely does! Seasonal Depression and Cabin Fever brought on by the cold, dark days of winter are real!

My Dad is definitely affected by seasonal moods, and he lives in San Diego! He's an avid bicyclist, and needs to get out and ride almost every day. If he gets cooped up inside by bad weather for too long, he can become medically depressed. Part of it has to do with physical activity, but I'm sure a lot of it is about sunlight.

The birds. They're excited about winter. It's why they're flying south. Say what you want about bird brains but what the hey, they ain't stupid!

My Dad is definitely affected by seasonal moods, and he lives in San Diego! He's an avid bicyclist, and needs to get out and ride almost every day. If he gets cooped up inside by bad weather for too long, he can become medically depressed. Part of it has to do with physical activity, but I'm sure a lot of it is about sunlight.

I have found that I really need to have a project to work on during the winter (like a rocket) to motivate me and keep my mood up. I work in a facility with no windows, and so this time of year, I wake up when it's dark, miss all the sunlight at work, and drive home in the dark.

As a child growing up in the Bronx, NY, I loved the winter! Sledding :smile:, Football in the snow :cool:, Snow days & throwing snow balls at cars :facepalm: and getting chased by angry motorist:y:
I moved to Dallas,TX, and I miss the 4 seasons. I would love to have a few good snowfalls each winter. One positive note about a good snow fall or hard freeze is that it kills off many insects! Because we had a very mild winter last year the flea infestation is catastrophic:mad: My poor pups have suffer this year and its been a constant and expensive battle! So I hope we get at least one good snowfall/ice storm or an extended hard freeze.
I have to point out that here in Dallas, even the most extreme winter will still leave you decent weather to fly rockets, paint, play golf, etc., at least 50% of the winter. :cool:
However the DFW are has had some of the wettest winters/springs the last two years, and it seemed like it rained every weekend, so the last two winters, although mild, have not been favorable to rocket activities!:mad:

I can understand having too much snow and freezing temps being a real problem. I can't say it helps with seasonal depression either. However, a bit of snow (say 6 inches or so) wouldn't be bad. But the chances of it snowing around in these parts have become slimmer and slimmer as the years roll by. My SO has told me she used to be able to skate on some lake north of us when she was a kid. That lake hasn't frozen over in decades now.

I really like winter - at least December and January. By the end of February, I'm a little tired of it.

The year I lived in Florida, I missed the snowfall so much I downloaded a screensaver that made it look like it was snowing on my desktop, so I could catch a glimpse of it out my eye and feel for a second like it was snowing. It came bundled with spyware. Oops.

I like how quiet snow makes everything. Large, falling flakes have a magical quality I've always loved.

Once it stops snowing, though, it's a bit depressing. I kind of wish it would melt off quickly and then snow again.

I hate how in the winter everything is always wet and dirty, but I love watching snow pile up deeper and deeper. I moved to Boston last year, so I missed the really deep stuff from the year before. Most of the winters in south central Indiana are brown, gray, and wet, and pretty depressing. We had a few good ones with subzero temperatures and deep snows a couple of years in a row. It was cold enough I could do that trick where you throw boiling water into the air and it turns to snow. Pretty cool.

I often walked 40 minutes or more to work on those days. I would bundle up and feel quite cozy in many layers and a balaclava ski mask with my ear buds in and some podcast on. My water bottle would freeze, and a few times I arrived at work at 5 a.m. with a 3-inch icicle dangling from the nose of my mask.

A couple winters from my childhood in northern Indiana were pretty epic. The blizzards of 1978 and 1981 were amazing, especially since I was only 4 and 7 at the time. I remember the snow being as high as the roof of my house, though maybe it was just that I was so short.

Winter has its hassles, but I like bundling up, making hearty food, sleeping long quiet nights, and seeing tiny white bits of sky come gently floating down.

Back