Wildman Blackhawk 75

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a few design changes to the altimeter bay mainly just to get all 16 the screws into the bulkhead without interfering with each other. I also replaced the rope guide with a machined piece. It's lighter and more compact.

Nose cone 4.jpg

Nose cone 5.jpg

I machined the mounting ring and tray bracket last night. These two parts weigh 12.5 grams.

IMG_4822.jpg

I got the parachute bay lid machined this morning. I drilled a 1/8" hole in the middle for a tether and slotted the edge so the shock cord can pass through it. It weighs 13.8 grams.

I always wipe everything down but I still find aluminum gunk in the cracks and crevasses in the pictures. :facepalm:

IMG_4825.jpg

I got the base plate for the altimeter bay done yesterday. I still need to machine the trays and switch mounting blocks.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497145838.361110.jpg

I finished machining the altimeter and battery trays today. The only parts left to machine are the screw switch mounting blocks.

IMG_4861.jpg

IMG_4862.jpg

IMG_4863.jpg

Nice work Chris.

Hope this heatwave helps to dry out the Playa soon.

I finally got back to work on this project today. I machined a jig and then drilled the screw switch and camera holes into the nose cone.

I also machined a motor retainer/recovery hard point. I'm going to glue a ring of coupler into the booster even with the end of the motor. This plate will be screwed to the closure above the ring. The recovery harness is attached by inserting a hardened dowel pin through the loop. The screws keep the pin in place when it's not under load.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503291142.369610.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1503291168.484874.jpg

I finally got back to work on this project today. I machined a jig and then drilled the screw switch and camera holes into the nose cone.

I also machined a motor retainer/recovery hard point. I'm going to glue a ring of coupler into the booster even with the end of the motor. This plate will be screwed to the closure above the ring. The recovery harness is attached by inserting a hardened dowel pin through the loop. The screws keep the pin in place when it's not under load.

View attachment 326274

View attachment 326275

Very slick idea with that hardened pin through the sewn loop. Easy to remove/attach and super low profile. Like the isogrid style weight reduction on your bulkhead too :wink:

Thanks guys. It feels good to make some progress. There are only 4 weeks until XPRS and if I'm going to make it I REALLY need to get this project done.

The recovery harness is attached by inserting a hardened dowel pin through the loop. The screws keep the pin in place when it's not under load.

What's the breaking strength on that pin? Would love to have something like this, but I'm worried about the pin breaking on a suboptimal deployment.

Yes I do. I bought the 75/3840-7680 RAS combo from Wildman last Black Friday. I've burned a couple 5120 loads in it but nothing larger.

Do you have the 75/7680 case in hand? My local vendor has plenty of 6400 cases, 7680's not so much...

1600 lbs. The entire booster will weigh less than 10 lbs. If I manage to hit 160G all bets are off.

What's the breaking strength on that pin? Would love to have something like this, but I'm worried about the pin breaking on a suboptimal deployment.

I believe I first saw that on one of MAC Rocketry's kits.

Very slick idea with that hardened pin through the sewn loop. Easy to remove/attach and super low profile. Like the isogrid style weight reduction on your bulkhead too :wink:

I tacked the first fin to the booster this morning. I also placed an order with Fruity Chutes for the recovery gear. This project is starting to come together.

It dawned on me last night that the boat tail closure might not work with the M685 since it's a long burn motor. I emailed Aerotech today and Karl confirmed my suspicions. I guess I won't be needing that. :facepalm:

I have all four fins tacked to the booster and I put the first pair of fillets on last night.

I picked up my recovery gear from Gene (aka Fruity Chutes) today at lunch. I'm using a 48" Iris Super Ultra Light for the main and a 12" elliptical for the drogue. The 48" SUL and the 3" x 6" parachute liner (deployment bag) take up about 3" of the coupler length. :eyepop: It looks like the 11 yards of 1/4" braided Kevlar for the shock cords will take up the majority of the recovery volume, but I should be able to get all of the recovery gear into ~6" of 3" airframe.

Back