Black rock project 2 stage 2018 min diameter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
View attachment 306347View attachment 306348View attachment 306349View attachment 306350View attachment 306351View attachment 306352

This rocket is scratch. All Carbon Fiber except for the interstage coupler which is FW fiberglass, nose cone coupler is FW black fiberglass, and Nose cone is a black fiberglass VK cone. The fins are 1/8 carbon fiber plate.

Minimum Diameter booster and 54mm sustainer.

Electronics Booster: 2 Perfect flight StrataloggerCF with a BRB900 GPS. Dual Deploy out of a single tube using Cable Cutter method.

Electronics Sustainer: RRC3 "Extreme" (Deployment charges and ignition of sustainer) and RRC2+(redudant deployment charges), Missile Works RTX GPS for sustainer

Plan is it us Jim Jarvis ejection charge design for apogee of booster and main. Same set up in the sustainer for ejection charges.

Last edited:
I took the payload section of the sustainer and compared it to my payload bay of my mongoose 75. The mongoose is black fiberglass. The difference is astonishing. The Carbon fiber is lighter but I did not know that much lighter. I am very happy!! I think I have saved anywhere between 3-5 pounds overall by going with carbon fiber over fiberglass.

This is the InterStage Coupler. Man it is thick but it has to be.View attachment 306353
I weighed everything out and all parts weighed only 8.25 pounds. Of course that is not including motors, recovery, electronics, and epoxy. But still incredible light.

I wanted to use a M1850 to a L1090. But will scale it back to maybe a M1297 to a K1050 or K700.

Aaaaannnnddd subscribed. Looks great so far! Knowing nothing about staging, can you explain why the inter-stage coupler 'has' to be so thick?

Aaaaannnnddd subscribed. Looks great so far! Knowing nothing about staging, can you explain why the inter-stage coupler 'has' to be so thick?

I would suspect for stiffness so the stack doesn't fold under boost and perhaps for "robustness". If the sustainer fires into the coupler or nearby, the thickness would stand up better to the plume. I've heard of folks who have used a charge to separate the stack before firing the sustainer or were able to rely on drag separation. I'm not the builder but perhaps he could explain further. Kurt

Wasn't there another thread with a rocket with the same name?

I'm confused...

Tony

Not a Star Trek fan?

The Kobayashi Maru was the name of the test you had to be able to pass to become a Starfleet captain. The name of the simulated ship you are commanding is the Kobayashi Maru. The test puts you in a no-win scenario, to see how well you react when facing the imminent death of your crew and destruction of your ship.

It was revealed in "The Wrath of Khan" that Kirk was the only person to ever beat the simulation, and he did this by sneaking in and reprogramming the software prior to the test. He was passed because he came up with a unique solution to the problem, even though several other officers believe that he cheated.

Wasn't there another thread with a rocket with the same name?

I'm confused...

Tony

yes, think the original was started by andrew lathrop, but he appears to now have a new screen name?? did andrew close his old account and start a new one??

yes, think the original was started by andrew lathrop, but he appears to now have a new screen name?? did andrew close his old account and start a new one??

Yes i started a new one. This is my new one. I did not delete my old one. Just started a new one. Gonna be on this one now.

Not a Star Trek fan?

The Kobayashi Maru was the name of the test you had to be able to pass to become a Starfleet captain. The name of the simulated ship you are commanding is the Kobayashi Maru. The test puts you in a no-win scenario, to see how well you react when facing the imminent death of your crew and destruction of your ship.

It was revealed in "The Wrath of Khan" that Kirk was the only person to ever beat the simulation, and he did this by sneaking in and reprogramming the software prior to the test. He was passed because he came up with a unique solution to the problem, even though several other officers believe that he cheated.

This is how I look at this rocket. No matter how complex or difficult it is, I will settle for nothing less then the best. There are always possibilities, Spoke said. I dont believe in the no win scenario. Anything can happen, any and everything is achievable. More pictures coming soon. Have a young baby so baby is more important than this. So bare with me please. In my spare time I will post pics here, but when having a new born there is hardly any spare time. LOL

After my son was born, I think it was a good 6 months before I had even 15 minutes to myself. Take your time, update us when you can.

Looks great Andrew. Like Chris said, take time with that beautiful boy. That rocket aint going nowhere till end of summer anyway right?

Before I go anymore forward on the build. Regarding the interstage coupler. How far up the sustainer are you guys putting the interstage? I was thinking 1 caliber, so 3 inches.

How many of you guys are going the drag separation route or actually having a small charge to separate?

20161130_221610.jpg20161130_221628.jpg20161130_221657.jpg

Interstage coupler aft end with thread rod. Forward end(nozzle end). 75mm 3d modular sled with dual strataloggersCF. not finished yet.

20161209_172243.jpg20161209_172255.jpg20161209_172304.jpg20161209_174029.jpg20161209_172216.jpg

Got the Motor tube section done. Got all the CR epoxied on with Hysol E-120HP. I JB welded on a SlimLine from Giant Leap Rocketry. I used a 3/16 inch brake line for the conduit to house the wire to ignite the sustainer. I see Aerotech is selling a Head End Ignition and I may decide to go that route, but I wanted to set it up with the traditional lighting way. I used Hysol E-120HP to epoxy all the CR on. This build will have Hysol throughout.

Last edited:
Got 54mm motor mount glued into sustainer. Will add internal fillets using thin epoxy buy injecting epoxy. I will have 6 fillets with CR and airframe. Then I will foam the fin can the 2 part foam. Have yet to decide which density to use.

20161211_144900.jpg20161211_144941.jpg

Slimline flush with aft end of sustainer. Motor mount assembly epoxied in using hysol e-120hp

I got the avbay complete in the sustainer. Just have to wire everything up. Now onto the avbay in the nose cone for the missile works RTX/GPS.

20161220_155118.jpg20161220_155131.jpg

Carbon Fiber Avbay with carbon fiber avbay lids. For sustainer. All Stainless steel hardware. NO GPS will be in here.

20161220_155209.jpg

Carbon Fiber nose cone coupler. Fiberglass G10 lids in the sustainer. Going to house Missile Works RTX/GPS. All stainless steel hardware. Yes coupler is CF. Will have an external antenna for RTX. Antenna will be sticking out into the nose cone. Antenna mounts on outside lid. Wire will pass through lid to attach to gps.

20161220_155245.jpg20161220_155306.jpg

Internal motor retention for the 75mm booster. Rather then using an expensive min diameter retainer from aeropack I made my own. (2) CF 1 inch coupler rings and in between there is a fiberglass stepped avbay lid. This assembly will be epoxied into forward end of rocket booster. I will drill a hole in center for threaded rod. Along with a stainless steel u- bolt to retain the kevlar shock cord.

20161221_174608.jpg
Ave Bay for GPS

20161221_193755.jpg
motor retainer

20161221_193801.jpg
Eye bolt for recovery

20161224_003847.jpg

Interstage coupler. The smaller end goes into sustainer. There is 3 inches of coupler that goes into sustainer. One Caliber.

Not a Star Trek fan?

If I remember correctly, the Kobayashi Maru was a cargo ship that was in distress.The captain candidate was commanding a Starfleet ship. Now back to your regularly scheduled build thread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobayashi_Maru

Back