Launchpad Idea?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave A

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Since I use Mobius cameras on board now, my old GoPro gets used less and less.
What about this:
1) I'll build a box to house an APC UPS that I found that has 120 outlets and 1 USB charging port.
2) Mount the GoPro on the outside to give a neat wide angle view about 10' from the away cell. I can install the largest microSD so I can gather video of many launches.
3) Mount a baby monitor receiver on the box(with 120v adapter) and the transmitter on one of the PA system's speakers.
That way you can capture the countdown on your on board video.
A plus could be the LCO could speak to you while at the away cell.

What about this:
1) I'll build a box to house an APC UPS that I found that has 120 outlets and 1 USB charging port.
2) Mount the GoPro on the outside to give a neat wide angle view about 10' from the away cell. I can install the largest microSD so I can gather video of many launches.
3) Mount a baby monitor receiver on the box(with 120v adapter) and the transmitter on one of the PA system's speakers.

Wow- a hundred and twenty outlets! LOL-just messing with ya! i love this idea as I have an old BoosterVision cam I was gonna build a lexan box for capturing pad side liftoffs. This is waaayy beyond that and so frickin' cool! I vote you absolutely HAVE to do this. Away cells are a bitch even with radios. Now I want one, too!

I like the idea of hearing the LCO just before and during the countdown on the video.
Yeah, darn autocorrect, 120v outlets for everyone!

Last edited:
What about this:

While your at it you should mount one on a boom arm on the pad to get a looking down, slightly from the side view of the launches.

Same goal. Though with the boom you can rig an extra battery pack up and take downward facing video of all the launches on the tower without needed to monitor it.

That does sound like an advantage, if you have a lot of launches from the away cell. We don't usually have many at BattlePark. Now if you wanted to rig that up to one of the standard HPR pads you would get a lot more action.

Same goal. Though with the boom you can rig an extra battery pack up and take downward facing video of all the launches on the tower without needed to monitor it.

My plan, for instance at BattlePark, was to leave it at the away cell, I like the idea of one on a boom looking down.
However, that one will be a future idea seeing how I'll have a Mobius looking down on all my away cell flights.
I would share all the flights on the "away-cell-cam" with anyone that wants it.

That sounds good, but isn't that what a drone is for?

No drones unless approved. There are several reasons.
You get a couple of drones flying around and the nit get out of hand.
Bob Utley of MDRA told me they would want to interview and discuss rules with MAYBE 1 drone pilot at events.
They have to make sure the drone does not interfere with flights or get too close to fliers, etc.
Other issues are if they get too close to a neighbor then one get accused of peeping, one malfunctions and cuts someone as it comes down.
I could understand a finite set of rules AND the pilot be responsible enough to follow them without question plus be safe.
That was conveyed to me back in April and maybe they have someone filming from the air for LDRS, I do not know.

Back