Waive Goodbye Concept and Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol,,,
Hey,, it's gotta be perfect,, I can't help it,, lol...

Man,, does Nat do some beautiful work or what...
I need some 3" rings while we're on the subject,, lol..

Teddy

When your office is slowly being taken over by rocket part deliveries:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481743586.537823.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481743593.612036.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1481743599.758600.jpg

How am I going to sneak all this into the house???

The nose cone access ring did not like the inserts I selected for the hardware. Not. At. All.

I had to increase the size of the hole to get them to work to minimize delamination of the outer layers. Not ideal but I think it will be ok. I'm injecting epoxy to reinforce around the inserts.

The nose cone access ring did not like the inserts I selected for the hardware. Not. At. All.

I had to increase the size of the hole to get them to work to minimize delamination of the outer layers. Not ideal but I think it will be ok. I'm injecting epoxy to reinforce around the inserts.

What do you mean Mike ??
You put blind nuts or tee nuts into those 4 holes and they spread the
holes open enough to make for an overly tight fit in the coupler ??

I ask because I REALLY like that 4 hole access hatch centering ring thingy...

Teddy

What do you mean Mike ??
You put blind nuts or tee nuts into those 4 holes and they spread the
holes open enough to make for an overly tight fit in the coupler ??

I ask because I REALLY like that 4 hole access hatch centering ring thingy...

Teddy

No impact on the coupler interface. I tried using threaded inserts which, during the threading process, began to cause the top layer of plywood to come off. I halted, opened the holes up some (which also caused some plywood damage...) and was able to thread from there. This did, however, leave a small undesirable gap between the body of the insert and the wall of the plywood so I am filling that gap with epoxy.

For future applications, I will use a different fastener. Or my OCD might kick in here momentarily and I'll have a new one made....

No impact on the coupler interface. I tried using threaded inserts which, during the threading process, began to cause the top layer of plywood to come off. I halted, opened the holes up some (which also caused some plywood damage...) and was able to thread from there. This did, however, leave a small undesirable gap between the body of the insert and the wall of the plywood so I am filling that gap with epoxy.

For future applications, I will use a different fastener. Or my OCD might kick in here momentarily and I'll have a new one made....

Thank you Mike,,
The bottom line is to have the intended blind nut in hand in a caliper
when I ask Nat to make that type of ring for me to insure a clean fit...

What do you actually call that type of ring anyways ???

Teddy

Thank you Mike,,
The bottom line is to have the intended blind nut in hand in a caliper
when I ask Nat to make that type of ring for me to insure a clean fit...

What do you actually call that type of ring anyways ???

Teddy

I just emailed Nat to get a new one made. I can't have this beautiful rocket with a trashed ring lol.

I have no idea what the actual name is so I've been calling it the "nose cone access hatch mounting ring."

Do the inserts have coarse threading like wood screws?
If they had a fine thread, I'd probably try running an appropriate tap through the hole first to guide the insert as it threads in, the sen seal in place with adhesive of your choice.

Do the inserts have coarse threading like wood screws?
If they had a fine thread, I'd probably try running an appropriate tap through the hole first to guide the insert as it threads in, the sen seal in place with adhesive of your choice.

They were course. Tapping wasn't an option.

Absolutely! I might do two cameras on this one. One facing out and one taking the traditional downward shot.

I have done horizontal facing cameras before. If there is no or very little spin, the view is pretty cool. A lot of spin and you can get vertigo :(. These can be done with the camera mounted internally. A couple vids of my mach breaking flights looking both horizontally and downward. The first one was with an original design I called the "Punk Rocket." I later shredded it with a K740. This flight was on a J1520. The next two were both in my Mad Cow FG Arcas. First is much older than the second. All flights went to 7,800+ feet.

Looking horizontal and spinning. HD Wing Cam - 720P - 120 degree lens

[YOUTUBE]uuufDWFwArU[/YOUTUBE]

Looking horizontal, minimal spin which increases as it goes transonic, slows down after Mach 1, then speeds back up as it comes out of mach. This was done with an older MD-80 spy camera (640 x 480). The camera was held internally with velcro and tape. It looked out a pinhole. The initial g-forces pulled it downward a little, but then as they subsided it pulled back into position.

[YOUTUBE]NGm8yza18g4[/YOUTUBE]

By far the best. Unfortunately the last of 7 Mach+ flights with my Arcas. Lost the booster section, and though I thought I knew where it landed, I could never find it. Apogee deployment never happened. Main did, fortunately. Great flight including what it looks like to come in ballistic. Done with a #16 808 keychain camera. 720p - 120-degree lens.

[YOUTUBE]dnis23JaoT0&t=31s[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Thrust plate and camera shroud are here! Perfect fit and great look as always from Binder Design and Additive Aerospace.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482239820.682811.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482239832.374231.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482239870.822320.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482239885.599891.jpg

So I guess I will get to see the pieces & parts next week right? This is exciting! I always like looking at other peoples projects during construction. :wink:

Harnesses, fins and replacement nosecone av-bay ring all came in!

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482247734.662935.jpg

Last edited:
So I guess I will get to see the pieces & parts next week right? This is exciting! I always like looking at other peoples projects during construction. :wink:

Absolutely! I just haven't figured out how to the that 60" section in the garage unnoticed....

I didn't think about having the forward CR(s) predrilled for the recovery harness until it was too late. So here I sit marking them for said purpose.

I might use doubled up CRs so I marked both. Which was silly because if I do use both, I'll be clamping and drilling them together...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482372958.813381.jpg

I also purchased some PVC components to make the assembly stands I will need as this comes together.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482372987.843893.jpg

If you haven't seen Teddy's work up close, check this out:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482373113.004840.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482373123.570259.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482373132.078049.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1482373139.311587.jpg

All hardware is sewn into the harness.

I have finally ordered the balance of the necessary components from Madcow. With any luck I'll be in full construction mode some time next week.

First round of fillets done with my usual 'hey it's internal care and craftsmanship.'

No need to go crazy with these fillets since I'm using a thrust ring. I kept the fillets away from the fins since I'll be pulling the fins off to wet out the CR before I permanently epoxy. The fin fillets will be beefy enough to fill the voids.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483293910.512750.jpg

Woo hoo! My NC and av-bay lids arrived, along with some other components for my Secret Santa DX3, today.

Although sloppy, the fins are attached as well as the forward CR and recovery harness.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1484497624.440329.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1484497633.540828.jpg

The nose av-bay ring and coupler are installed. I don't know how I feel about how little of the coupler is inside the nose... I'm sure it will be fine but I would have liked to see more.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1484497721.908674.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1484497730.731850.jpg

Nose access mounting ring fully secured, I-bolt installed in bulk plate. I'll wait to do any more mods to the bulk plate until I make a tracker decision.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485228454.949319.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485228467.518165.jpg

Back