Waive Goodbye Concept and Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, is that slick Mike...
Very cool...
I sure am going to remember that Nate is machining those out..

Teddy

Just an update. We are prepping to move and my workspace has been converted into a defacto storage unit. Sigh.... Not much progress lately. I can see the parts from the door but that's about it :(

Forward progress!

Thrust ring installed and retainer test fit for good measure. I don't know how much more will be accomplished prior to the move. I'm quickly running out of space.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1487556456.481309.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1487556466.681064.jpg

Finally moved in and getting my shop in order.

Collected my parts and made an unfortunate discovery:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494816259.323226.jpg

My av-bay lids don't fit the coupler...... it's a Wildman coupler and the lids are from Madcow. Sigh.

Getting ready for some external fillets then another unfortunate discovery. My West leaked out into their moving container. Sigh x 2. At least I got some tape put on...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1494817064.307812.jpg

Off to Strictly Sail tomorrow I guess.

Av-bay lids arrived (thanks Gary!). Still had a tolerance issue but nothing a little Dremel work couldn't address.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1496275666.904552.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1496275688.271906.jpg

First set of external fillets are curing. I was also able to dry fit everything for a sense of scale for the first time:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1496542219.678384.jpg

Assembled the TRFer designed/sold logger accessory and confirmed the function and accuracy via walk down the street.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497146843.387938.jpg

RX assembled and tested. I set the TX on my back porch and it delivered perfect coordinates. Tomorrow I will employ my wife to help me test the range.

If all goes well, I'll mount in the included case.

Some real progress tonight:

Tracker completed:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504148910.056212.jpg

Laying out the av-bay lids:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504148946.351411.jpg

Major components installed on lids:

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504148971.318038.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504148990.168372.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504148998.399423.jpg

Big canister for backup!! That's the Hail Mary , looking good. Do you plan on using the GPS transmitter in other rockets?

No kidding lol. That chute is coming out one way or another :)

I do. Provided it survives. I don't have total faith in the structural integrity given my soldering skills.

PEM nut installation for the coupler.

IMG_1452.jpg

Also drilled holes for internal fin fillets. One set of internal fillets complete and some bondo done on one set of external fillets cause, well, i suck at fillets for some reason. (Not pictured)

Up next is the next set of internal fillets, terminals on the av-bay lids, PEMs for shear pins and rail buttons.

Getting dangerously close to ground testing....

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Got a lot of work done last night but didn't take pictures.

All Av-Bay PEMs installed. Terminal strips installed on lids. Wiring run and epoxied in place a la my Nike design.

Need to assemble the sled, install camera shroud, patch internal fillet injection holes, ground test and paint.

Couldn't resist a portrait:

IMG_1475.jpg

Why so long? Cause I wanted it to be.

Got a lot of work done last night but didn't take pictures.

All Av-Bay PEMs installed. Terminal strips installed on lids. Wiring run and epoxied in place a la my Nike design.

Need to assemble the sled, install camera shroud, patch internal fillet injection holes, ground test and paint.

Couldn't resist a portrait:

View attachment 328558

Why so long? Cause I wanted it to be.

Is that rocket even stable? With at rocket that long looks like you had to make it that long to make it stable using those tiny fins.

Nope. Just winging it and hoping for the best....

That would not be allowed to fly at my field where I fly at. For any scratch rocket build you have to know the CP then have 2 Calibers of Stability. Know the thrust to weight ratio.

That would not be allowed to fly at my field where I fly at. For any scratch rocket build you have to know the CP then have 2 Calibers of Stability. Know the thrust to weight ratio.

Somebody doesn't get sarcasm... Do you really think I am being serious? Do you really think that I've not checked into the most basic elements of our hobby prior to and during the construction of this build? Did you see the first page where the design was developed? Do you think my L3 just miracled itself into existence? As designed, it is stable at 1+ cal. Larger fins did not perform well at the speeds I anticipated per FinSim. Once I have final weights and CG determined, I'll compare to the CP and adjust/add any counter weight as necessary to ensure a comfortable margin of stability.

We don't have a 2cal requirement at our field for scratch builds but I try to get closer to 2 as a loose rule in my book.

Somebody doesn't get sarcasm... Do you really think I am being serious? Do you really think that I've not checked into the most basic elements of our hobby prior to and during the construction of this build? Did you see the first page where the design was developed? Do you think my L3 just miracled itself into existence? As designed, it is stable at 1+ cal. Larger fins did not perform well at the speeds I anticipated per FinSim. Once I have final weights and CG determined, I'll compare to the CP and adjust/add any counter weight as necessary to ensure a comfortable margin of stability.

We don't have a 2cal requirement at our field for scratch builds but I try to get closer to 2 as a loose rule in my book.

I figured you were be sarcastic. But just making sure. I said 2 calipers because for Mach flights having 2 calipers on the pad is best. I use RASaero and for all mach flights it recommends 2 calipers so I try to get 2 for all my flights even those that do not go mach. When i build I make sure that I will not need any nose weight. Its a hassle and takes away altitude.

Back