Insignia on the Air & Space Museum WAC Corporal?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlabrasca

Reaction score
JPL-insignia.png

I am working on a 1:5 scale WAC Corporal. I spotted this Jet Propulsion Laboratory insigne/logo in pictures of the Air & Space Museum example. Original image HERE

I found somebody's camcorder footage of the display on YouTube, from which it appears that there are two copies of the insigne, one placed forward one placed aft, on opposite sides of the rocket.

Does anybody know the history of this badge and/or what is inscribed in the border?

Holy cow, thanks! I googled with no joy (but some amusing results as google's "search by image" tried to guess what I was trying to find). Does anybody happen to know if this badge was on a rocket that flew, or if it is more in the manner of an asset tag for the display? I don't see it any images of a WC, except this one.

I'm interested in what the two pods on the trailing edges of the two white fins are on the Smithsonian rounds pictures? I havent been able to locate any info on them.

WAC_2.jpg

I'm interested in what the two pods on the trailing edges of the two white fins are on the Smithsonian rounds pictures? I havent been able to locate any info on them.

The White Sands Museum WC has those fairings/pods too -- but without the glass covers.

https://www.wsmr-history.org/Photos/WACCorporal.jpg

https://www.b14643.de/Spacerockets/Specials/A-4/Gallery/RV.htm

EDIT: Found this thread on Ye Olde Rocketry forum

According to one of the respondents there, the pods on the fins are for "tracking flares".

Best estimate from the images in that thread and on the SI site, the insigne is a little more than 4 inches across at full scale. Unless somebody knows if this logo appeared at another scale on another rocket, or at this scale on one of the Baby WACs, I think I will omit it from my model -- since I won't be incorporating the "flares" from the SI example either.

Last edited:
I read that they were tracking flares also. Not sure what my source was, but it was a good one, as I remember.

Back