Dashware and Altimeters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dford

Tada
Reaction score
Right now I'm only using altimeter 3 for flight data and will soon be using a quantum once I get one of them working. Im wondering if anybody has had success converting the flight data from an A3 in an overlay and sync on a flight video in dashware? How?
I will be using the quantum eventually also and anyone has some good input in that area I'd will gladly take it. I haven't even tried to convert or pull data from a Q yet but will soon.

Thanks

Here are two files. It isn't much to work with but there is data to be used. I'm sure if one was a little more intelligent than I am it can be done, maybe. haha.

As far as converting to a .CSV file? I am not that far into computer genius.

FlightGraph (1).jpg

View attachment flightReport.xlsx

Eggtimer altimeters natively output CSV data files, so it should be pretty easy, although I have not personally tried it. There's a header line, and the first column is already elapsed time, which is what Dashware wants to see.

From the Dashware FAQ's:

Here are some notes on making a DashWare-friendly CSV data file:

-It’s good to have a static line of text at the top declaring that it is your data format. Something like “Some Cool Logger Data File”. The DashWare Data Profile for your format can then be easily set up to automatically detect one of your data files.
-We require a CSV header line: A line of text containing the column headers/names.
-Then the raw data lines would follow after that.
-There should be a Time column (full timestamps work great, e.g. “2011/08/07 20:10:02.200”, or the total running time in seconds e.g. “1.1”)

You can open the xlsx file in Excel and save it as a csv.

There's a thread on TRF about how to use Dashware. There are detailed instructions on how to format the files and how to setup the gages. It takes a little work to set up but it isn't too bad.

Here are two files. It isn't much to work with but there is data to be used. I'm sure if one was a little more intelligent than I am it can be done, maybe. haha.

As far as converting to a .CSV file? I am not that far into computer genius.

You probably want some smoothing so the gauges do not peg up and down. Eggtimer output has an extra column with smoothed altitude data (and two versions of smoothed velocity), not sure about others but you can do it yourself as well.

Eggtimer seems like it will be a lot easier to get the data to overlay with the video. Or even to get the data to work within the dashware program. Unfortunately for A3 the data when converted into a .CSV file looks like this
Flight Info,,,,,,
Name,Flight 14,,,,,
Date,10/8/2016,,,,,
Time,1:59 PM,,,,,
Mode,Rocket,,,,,
Altitude,2638,feet,,,,
Duration,105,secs,,,,
Notes,roctober green rocket I245,,,,,
Thrust time,1.3,secs,,,,
Max speed,359.3,mph,,,,
Peak accel,22.0,Gs,,,,
Average accel,13.1,Gs,,,,
Ejection delay,10.6,secs (early),,,,
Coast-Apogee,11.4,Gs,,,,
Apogee-Eject,-0.8,Gs,,,,
Ejection altitude,"2,627.0",ft,,,,
Initial descent,25.3,fps,,,,
Landing speed,22.9,fps,,,,
Location,,,,,,
Longitude,-116.9582,,,,,
Latitude,34.49647,,,,,
Map Link,Click Here,,,,,
Ground Pressure,91445,Pa,,,,
Versions,,,,,,
Spreadsheet,Version 6,,,,,
Altimeter Firmware,2.28,,,,,
Mobile App,3.6.5013,,,,,
Altimeter ID,N/A,,,,,

with this data not spread out over a certain time in acceleration or likewise i'm not real sure how it can be used in dashware. even when i try to add a "header line" in which doesn't have a specific place to "begin" a gauge.

i wonder if anyone else has gotten altimeter three to work with dashware and how?
once i launch the quantum i have a good feeling it will work fairly easily.

You need to work with data on the "data" tab, not the "info" tab. Dashware needs data vs. time or vs. distance to sync with your video.

Right now I'm only using altimeter 3 for flight data and will soon be using a quantum once I get one of them working. Im wondering if anybody has had success converting the flight data from an A3 in an overlay and sync on a flight video in dashware? How?
I will be using the quantum eventually also and anyone has some good input in that area I'd will gladly take it. I haven't even tried to convert or pull data from a Q yet but will soon.

Thanks

The RC FPV guys do this all the time but with a bit more equipment. FPV camera -> On Screen Display module -> video transmitter and/or recorder
The OSD is usually connected to the flight and/or camera battery(for volts/amps) and the flight controller (for attitude, orientation). The flight controller usually has a baro altimeter for altitude and/or a GPS for positioning. altitude, and speed. A bit of an overkill for a casual rocket flight, but very doable for an experiment or project. You could cobble together a fairly capable video setup for a modest investment.

Hey - Jolly Logic!. How about an integrated altimeter camera with on screen display of altitude and speed. Maybe GPS too, and have it talk to my smart phone! Now that would be cool!

Cheers!

Last edited:
It's actually HARDER for AltimeterThree to create nicely formatted XLSX files than a CSV file. If more folks could use a CSV, I'd add that as an option.

Do this:
1. Go to DATA page of an emailed AltimeterThree XLSX flight report file.
2. Export to CSV
3. Open the CSV
4. Delete the rows at the top before the data starts, and the first column (blank), and the row with units
5. What is left will look like this:

Time,Press,Altitude,Xacc,Yacc,Zacc,TotalAcc
-1.85,99028,-2,0.01,1.01,0.1,1.01
-1.8,99027,-2,0.02,1.01,0.09,1.01
-1.75,99030,-2,0,1.01,0.08,1.02
-1.7,99029,-2,0,1.01,0.09,1.01
-1.65,99035,-2,0,1,0.07,1
-1.6,99036,-2,-0.02,1,0.1,1
-1.55,99035,-2,0,1,0.09,1
-1.5,99032,-2,0,1.01,0.07,1.02

If you don't want all of these columns, you should delete them before you export to CSV.

Hope that helps.

It's actually HARDER for AltimeterThree to create nicely formatted XLSX files than a CSV file. If more folks could use a CSV, I'd add that as an option.

Do this:
1. Go to DATA page of an emailed AltimeterThree XLSX flight report file.
2. Export to CSV
3. Open the CSV
4. Delete the rows at the top before the data starts, and the first column (blank), and the row with units
5. What is left will look like this:

Time,Press,Altitude,Xacc,Yacc,Zacc,TotalAcc
-1.85,99028,-2,0.01,1.01,0.1,1.01
-1.8,99027,-2,0.02,1.01,0.09,1.01
-1.75,99030,-2,0,1.01,0.08,1.02
-1.7,99029,-2,0,1.01,0.09,1.01
-1.65,99035,-2,0,1,0.07,1
-1.6,99036,-2,-0.02,1,0.1,1
-1.55,99035,-2,0,1,0.09,1
-1.5,99032,-2,0,1.01,0.07,1.02

If you don't want all of these columns, you should delete them before you export to CSV.

Hope that helps.

Since Microsoft is so intent on hiding details from users, Excel will happily open a CSV file that is named as an Excel file without so much as a popup to the user. Lots of bank web sites rely on that for user data export.

Since Microsoft is so intent on hiding details from users, Excel will happily open a CSV file that is named as an Excel file without so much as a popup to the user. Lots of bank web sites rely on that for user data export.

True, but you don't get purty formatting and formulae.

Back