Happy Thanksgiving!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the merguez which is lamb sausage encased in pork mince, chopped fresh parsley, lemon zest, grated apple, chopped apricots, chopped pistachio nuts, salt and pepper on a bed of sage leaves rolled into a sausage. I prepared this last night in advance and had it rolled up in aluminum foil ready for today's cooking. It's the equivalent to stuffing but outside the bird. The bird was stuffed with quartered onions and lemons along with a soft butter mixture of chopped fresh parsley, olive oil, lemon zest and lemon juice and garlic which is smothered underneath the skin of the bird. The turkey is then put in the oven for ten minutes, taken out, and then covered with streaky bacon.
I haven't gotten to the gravy yet as the bird will have to rest for as long as we cooked it first, then I can use the juices and bits and pieces of the bird you usually don't eat ( wing tips and the bits at the end) for the gravy later.

Why?

All that pressure on the breast will force the succulent juices out.

I like to use a skewer to prop the turkey up while roasting in a roasting pan, throw in a sprig of thyme, and baste the turkey in it's juices, put it in the oven, take out and let rest for as long as you cooked it. It really helps to distribute the juices throughout the turkey so you aren't left with dry string.

Nope. Juices drain due to gravity. I've tried this and can verify you end up with much jucier breast meat.

Nope. Juices drain due to gravity. I've tried this and can verify you end up with much jucier breast meat.

Basting the whole turkey rather than just the breast meat will ensure much moister meat throughout the entire turkey and will actually help lock in the juices inside the turkey, then letting it rest covered in some foil will allow the juices inside the turkey to distribute evenly, making moist light and dark meat.

I agree, the juices WILL drain towards the breast meat if the bird is breast side down. We've done this on a number of occasions and it always turned out juicier. Gravity does work in favor here.

I agree, the juices WILL drain towards the breast meat if the bird is breast side down. We've done this on a number of occasions and it always turned out juicier. Gravity does work in favor here.

For the juiciest turkey....FRY THE BIRD!

IMG_0001 (52).jpg IMG_0003 (9).jpg This is the bird after ten minutes at 425. Then topped with streaky bacon and in at 350 for four hours.

For the juiciest turkey....FRY THE BIRD!

Been there, done that. It's good but not necessarily "THE" juiciest though it does come out juicy. It really depends on how many variations one chooses to do the bird with in their life. The more, the better you can make comparisons on.

Yes, Happy Thanksgiving everyone and to our service members far from home, family and friends thank you for your service. I personally know that when you are in the military, the holidays feel like it is just another day and the meals maybe the only touch of home you will experience. Thank you, again for your service.

this is one of my favs...Happy Thanksgiving (late)
[video]https://youtu.be/hOyQ3nTDgCs[/video]

Back