Help Support RocketryForum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

MMX motors as spin rockets...

I hope this isn't too dumb of a thought and I also hope it doesn't appear as a blasphemous use of MMX motors!

Have MMX motors been used as spin rocket motors on a larger rocket? Several full size rockets such as the x-17 and Doorknob (I think) used small motors to initiate spin just after launch and I thought this might be doable using MMX motors on a mid-power scale rocket. Of course it would require some type of timed ignition, but that is very common these days. Would be a pretty neat scale touch, I think!

I have to admit that I have ZERO experience with MMX motors, ignition etc. so there may be a hundred reasons that this is totally silly idea. But you never learn if you don't ask, I suppose.

Thanks!

Mike

Cheers,

Mike Mulligan
    NAR 75648
    DART San Diego

I would think that if one wanted any sort of practical effect, something like the d2.3 would be much more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugs914 View Post
    I hope this isn't too dumb of a thought and I also hope it doesn't appear as a blasphemous use of MMX motors!

Have MMX motors been used as spin rocket motors on a larger rocket? Several full size rockets such as the x-17 and Doorknob (I think) used small motors to initiate spin just after launch and I thought this might be doable using MMX motors on a mid-power scale rocket. Of course it would require some type of timed ignition, but that is very common these days. Would be a pretty neat scale touch, I think!

I have to admit that I have ZERO experience with MMX motors, ignition etc. so there may be a hundred reasons that this is totally silly idea. But you never learn if you don't ask, I suppose.

Thanks!

Mike
    Since Micro motors are a full inch long and the general configeration of the Spin motors on Vehicles like the X-17, Hojo and Doorknob and others are usually thinish discs most of the MMX motor would have to be enbedded in the body of the vehicle meaning the rocket would likely need to be at least BT-60 or larger. Not to mention getting the motor(s) canted enough to actually cause a spin. Possibly some sort of right angle thrust vectoring might work, although I've had MMX-II motors burn through a 20ga stainless steel deflector plate. Then there is the short duration of MMX-II motors, with only about .8 seconds, I doubt they would be much use as a spin motor on a scale model of the size needed for any of the vehicles listed above.

That said there have been a couple micro models designed to Spin up on launch with either a single or two motor cluster as seen below. EXTREMELY fast off the pad and very high spin rate, but due to aerodynamics come in pretty fast also. Not very dangerous but require heads up before flights and Launch rod positioning down range just to be safe.
    The single and twin motor MM Whirlygig and twin motor Christmas Holly Wreath are all designed to spin up and down. but only the twin motor Whirlygig and Wreath actually use canted motor mounts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM 310a1a-sm_Micro SpinRing Thing_07-23-05.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	305979   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM 310a2a-sm_MM SpinRing Thing 2-motor_07-30-05.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	305980   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM 310b-sm_MM SpinRing Thing 1-motor_07-28-05.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	79.8 KB 
ID:	305981   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM 310b-Lp10b_Micro SpinRingThing Ignition (Pic by DaveFuller_10-19-13.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	305984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM 309p1-sm_MM Whirlygig-a Odd-Roc_07-14-05.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	305977  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM 309p2-sm_MM Whirlygig-b twin motor_07-15-06.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	305978   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM 309pf1d-sm_MM Whirlygig twin motor 5 pic Pg_07-15-06.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	305983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM 394_Christmas Holly Wreath Glittered (Lit)_12-01-13.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	305982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MM 394Lp01b_HollyWreath LiftOff 2-mmx cluster_12-21-13.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	147.5 KB 
ID:	305985  
    Last edited by Micromeister; 24th November 2016 at 03:51 PM.
    Keep em Flyin Micronzied
    John
    Mrcluster/Micromeister
    Nar-15731
    Co-moderator MicroMaxRockets yahoo group.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MicroMaxRockets/
    Narhams Section 139 - ROMCC