I know I'm not supposed to use a carabiner, but...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just do a loop with a figure 8 with a follow-through. Stronger then the original cord, not slippy under load....no more expensive and really conversational beaner. In the fire service we're pretty neurotic about beaner loading when we do high angle & slope work.....

K,

I saw this suggested on FB for someone

From a newbie here... Doesn't this double the chances of a broken shockcord? If either break, it's gone.

Here's an idea... I'll call the '"U Loop" Shock Cord Attachment Method'.

View attachment 305956
Tie/sew a loop on one end of your shock cord, pull it through the eye bolt/U bolt. then attach a quick link to it. Then create another loop that will be (when attached by the quick link on the other end) almost even with the front of the recovery bay. Attach them by the quick link. To prevent possible entanglement of the parachute, a sleeve could be slid down the length of the loop.

To inspect, just pull the loop of shock cord down through the motor tube, or around to see how things look, it it's good, pull it back into the normal position.

When replacement is required, you can tie the new shock cord to the loop at one end, and pull it through the eye bolt/U bolt, make your loops and you're back in business.

Sure, it might use nearly twice as much kevlar, but the ease of use will likely be well worth that.

This could be adapted for other harnesses, where the shock cord is a single length of material, but I think as two parts would be more cost effective in the long run.

K,

I saw this suggested on FB for someone

From a newbie here... Doesn't this double the chances of a broken shockcord? If either break, it's gone.
Perhaps I should update that to include a nomex sleeve to shield the cord. However, most people would know to use a sleeve. The idea is that you can easily pull the cord around and inspect it for damage. If it's damaged, you can easily replace it.

Latest posts

Back