Best 10 X 10 canopy for the price?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
My canopy got wind damaged in the last two launches, and I decided that I need something sturdier.

I want something that can handle up to 20mph winds, is easy to set up (one person, even), that you can recommend from personal experience.

URL would be a plus!

Thanks.

Eurmax (sp?) were the best ones I saw at Airfest. I went down the whole row twice specifically looking.

Be interested to hear more views, of course; I've never owned one and only helped take one down.

Last edited:
Hey Dr. J- the guys out here on the playa swear by the 'swap meet' canopies. basically electrical conduit and a tarp held with bungies. Pretty cheap and simple once you get used to all the loose parts. Draw back is rain is not your friend with these (flat roof acts as a collector). We all stake down each corner with ratcheting cargo straps to prevent tipping or 'flying'. Guy next to me lost a 'heavy duty' $300 instant up unit the first time he set it up because it just got wadded up when it tipped over. If you do go with another fold-up, consider adding four extra poles to run across each 'accordion-fold for extra bracing. Zip ties are a pain but worth it. had mine for over 6 years now. When it finally dies, i'm going with a custom sized swap meet special for a cargo tarp. Camping tent and shade all in one.

Last edited:
Eurmax look very nice, but pretty expensive. It looks like you can get steel, which has to hold up better than aluminum in wind. Steel ones come with a rolling bag, which is nice.

I don't care about rain. If it's raining, I'm probably not launching.

Q: does a vented canopy help with wind? Allow it to pass through rather than blowing it over?

Eurmax look very nice, but pretty expensive. It looks like you can get steel, which has to hold up better than aluminum in wind. Steel ones come with a rolling bag, which is nice.

I don't care about rain. If it's raining, I'm probably not launching.

Q: does a vented canopy help with wind? Allow it to pass through rather than blowing it over?

I've owned several canopies and used to set then up every weekend working at the races in the elements ( mostly Caravan Canopies which were very nice but the Eurmax I have in very happy with so - buy once cry once. Spend the money and get a Euromax - the hexagon tubing is very strong. (I think mine is the10-15). I purchased with side walls and back walls but never use them (purchased on eBay)

I've seen so many fly away with the wind or simply collapse. I don't have the vented for the wind but have wanted one just for the heat to escape on hot days.

This is what I do for wind - take some paint cans and long eyelets and concrete them in the can - use tie downs to strap to the 4 corners. Works great in even 30 mph wind - I've actually had in higher winds but will strap down to something even more substantial if it gets that bad. Years ago when I used to put up 40' of canopies - I squall line blew up - one of my 10x10 went aerial and landed on a brand new Ford truck and caused about $900 in damaged along with my destroyed canopy. The next day I made those weights and vowed never to buy a cheap canopy :).
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479837670.550069.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479837678.778111.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479837702.985874.jpg

There are definitely other good ones out there but I'm very happy with this one.

PS there are tricks to setup and tear down without tweeting the frame - the 10x15 is heavy and a little hard to setup by your self although I do it all the time - 2 people is preferred .

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479837900.303033.jpg
These are the caravan canopies- they were very nice - much like EZ up

I've had the same EZ-UP canopy since 1998. I bought it on my way to LDRS 17 at Bonneville, UT. One of the reasons it's lasted so long is that it has all metal joints. 99% of the canopies that I've seen fail break at the joints. It looks like Euromax has some pretty HD plastic joints and they are replaceable. If I ever get around to replacing mine I might try one of theirs out.

Just FYI to anyone looking for them...

It's "Eurmax", not "Euromax". There is a Euromax, but they are a metal mining company and do not make canopies. :wink:

I like the Coleman one and it has built in guy cable points for extra staking.

I also have a Easy-Up from the late '90s that has survived countless rocket launches, soccer games, and 5 trips to BALLS so far. The key is staking it down and knowing to pull the top when the winds start gusting. I have a variety of stake types to match the ground composition. I occasionally use guys but obviously they become a trip hazard. I keep a roll of red 1" surveyors tape in my stake bag to mark the guys for safety. Just ask Gerald about it the next time you are at BALLS.

The other thing is to ask those around you to help out if wind comes up unexpectedly. If you aren't there and it gets windy having someone else take the cover off for you can save the day.

I have a length of 1" PVC pipe to help remove the cover by myself if it gets windy. With only one person it can be hard to get the cover up and over the supports but with a stick to lift the cover up it's a lot easier and less likely to get torn. Also helps putting it back on afterwards as well.

Mine if finally failing from UV sun damage. That and getting torn up riding in trailers and such. Those Eurmax look really nice but the 10x15' unit is pretty spendy. At my age however it should last me a lifetime!

Tony

My canopy got wind damaged in the last two launches, and I decided that I need something sturdier.

I want something that can handle up to 20mph winds, is easy to set up (one person, even), that you can recommend from personal experience.

URL would be a plus!

Thanks.

Good topic. I was looking for a canopy myself earlier this year. I searched the forum pretty hard and found some helpful posts from the past.

I had an REI coupon burning a hole in my pocket, so I went with this:

https://www.rei.com/product/882198/caddis-rapid-shelter-10-x-10

Pros:
Steel
Smooth operation
Two stake down points per foot

Cons:
You will give yourself a hernia if you have to lift or carry this thing by yourself
Carry bag royally sucks. One awkward strap. No wheels!
No guy out points
Worthless stakes (typical of most canopies)

I knew all the cons, but I bought it anyway, expecting the durability to make up for the shortcomings. I purchased a couple different styles of stakes, also. The 10" nails work pretty well.

As an aside, my vehicle was damaged not once, but twice, by somebody else's canopy at a rocket launch! Both times the offender failed to stake down their unit, thinking "oh, it is not windy." Wrong. The slightest breeze will send a cheap canopy tumbling down the flight line. Don't be "that guy!"

My folks got our canopy on sale at Dicks Sporting goods a few years back. Quest is the brand. The package says 10 x 10 and provides 64 sq ft of shade.

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. At the ground, the legs are 10 X 10. The actual canopy material is only 8 x 8. We have had it about 5 years. We NAIL it down with 10 inch long nails from home depot. It has been up in 20 MPH winds - when other canopies have blown over.

This is not a great picture - but you get the idea. :blush:

DSCN0682.jpg

I've had the same EZ-UP canopy since 1998. I bought it on my way to LDRS 17 at Bonneville, UT. One of the reasons it's lasted so long is that it has all metal joints. 99% of the canopies that I've seen fail break at the joints. It looks like Euromax has some pretty HD plastic joints and they are replaceable. If I ever get around to replacing mine I might try one of theirs out.

Have to second! My EZ-up Express is a 10' x 10' all in one, (canopy bolt attached permanently). I've had the same EX-UP since 1996, We use it monthly year round and the better 2/3rds use it in the Oct-Dec time frame for her outdoor Craft Shows. It's a little heavier in weight them most of the cheap shelters I've looked at. but it's also weathered some pretty impressive thunder storms and heavy wind bursts without any damage (as long as it's staked down). I believe we paid around 160.00 for it new and It has more then paid for itself over the years.
If or when I have to replace the fabric canopy I'll buy a NEW canopy cover from EZ-UP as they have a complete line of replacement parts as well.
Worth every single penny.

McCoy's 10x10 Easyup Express-sm_06-16-07.JPG

Home away from Home @ ECRM-36_06-20-09.jpg

Eurmax (sp?) were the best ones I saw at Airfest. I went down the whole row twice specifically looking.

Be interested to hear more views, of course; I've never owned one and only helped takes one down.

I have a 10x20 and it is nearly wind proof. I have had many and the EURMAX is the one I use the most. It is durable and easy to set up.

Dammit. I wish I knew of Eurmax 8 months ago. The storage bag alone sold me! Price looks really reasonable for the quality of the product.

I like the Coleman one and it has built in guy cable points for extra staking.

We have the 10x10 Coleman straight leg and like it. We have owned a few over the years and the Coleman seems to be a good value at the $100 price point.

You can get one for free the next time you go on a long continuous road trip...
Just follow the steps:

1) Get a giant square kiddie pool, preferably one that has a footprint of 100 square feet.

2) Place it on top on all your luggage.

3) Whenever you feel the urge to go, do it in a bottle and empty it behind you, into the kiddie pool (to save bottles)

4) Keep it up, 'cause you're getting there.

5) Now, when you finish the road trip, open the trunk and you'll be greeted with exactly what you wanted:
A 10x10 can-o-pee.

Think before you Type! Totally unnecessary and really not funny at all.

Eurmax x1000000000. Went through plenty of ez ups over the last 10 years about 15 or so....4 this year.
Bought the Eurmax few months ago, never looking back.

I actually have 2 canopies:
  • My light duty 10' x 20' one you've seen at the MDRA launch. It is this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BMH7QUW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
    • The main failure I have seen with the pop up canopies is that people stake down the bottom and completely ignore the guy wires up top. When you get a good burst of side wind it pushes on the top and the whole canopy shears sideways and pops the plastic riveted joints. Do yourself a favor and get some good ratchet straps for the guy wires. I use the cheap orange ones from harbor freight. They have saved this canopy from high winds more than once.
    • The stakes that come with the tent are crap. Go and grab some real stakes. These 10" heavy duty steel stakes: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HU086C/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 are super cheap right now ($1.44 for 4). Grab 12 of them (6 for the legs and 6 for the guy wires)
  • My heavy duty canopy is a 20' x 20' job designed for the high wind environment at BALLS. It is made using 1-5/8" fencing pipe and connectors from https://creativeshelters.com/category/flat-fittings
    • It is a flat roof design with 9 legs. See https://www.tents-canopy.com/canopy-fittings-flat-roof-fittings.html for a good image.
    • It has an additional 10'x20' section that attaches to the top on the frame to be used as a wind break on one side. That is useful for shielding tents from the wind.
    • It's virtually indestructible and has survived 50mph wind gusts on the playa without flinching. I only bring it out to multi-day launches because compared to the easy-up pop-up it's a pain in the butt to setup and tear down and frankly not worth it for a day. This is mainly due to the weight. The canopy is pushing 400 lbs.
    • You'll see this at LDRS this year. We'll need it for the projects that are coming up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back