Madcow Mini fiberglass series

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While waiting for some fillets to cure on the BBII, I decided to drill holes on the Frenzy. Three 5/64" holes were used on the vent band of the avbay. A larger hole will need to be drilled in the coupler section to access the screw switch.

I dug around my parts bin and found several countersunk machine screws, the Metric equivalent to 2-56. After wrapping tape around the NC coupler to ensure a centered fit on the nose cone and body tube, I drilled and tapped the screw holes. I then used a deburring bit by hand to countersink the surface for the screw heads. The result is a very strong, removable attachment between nose cone and coupler for using a tracker. Sweet!

20161213_131956.jpg

20161213_131120.jpg

20161213_130909.jpg

20161213_125755.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up on this, I will need to add a bit more mmt behind the rear CR than the instructions show for my Mini-Frenzy DD. I managed to get as far as washing the parts today.

It turns out to be a bit of a choice depending on what case you think you'll be flying more often. I tried my 180 case on, and the wider thrust ring allowed the retainer cap to tighten onto the case with about a 1/32" gap on the body tube. This looks about perfect to me, with the tradeoff being a loose-fitting 120 case. Too bad the thrust ring on the two different cases couldn't be the same width......

20161213_135643.jpg

While waiting for some fillets to cure on the BBII, I decided to drill holes on the Frenzy. Three 5/64" holes were used on the vent band of the avbay. A larger hole will need to be drilled in the coupler section to access the screw switch.

I dug around my parts bin and found several countersunk machine screws, the Metric equivalent to 2-56. After wrapping tape around the NC coupler to ensure a centered fit on the nose cone and body tube, I drilled and tapped the screw holes. I then used a deburring bit by hand to countersink the surface for the screw heads. The result is a very strong, removable attachment between nose cone and coupler for using a tracker. Sweet!

Whadda ya know, same plan I was going to use. I have already ordered the cables to allow my Eggfinders antenna to be placed on the opposite side of the sled from the pc board.

Currently they are too long. I'll cut them down so just a few threads stick through the inner wall. I used three just for symmetry with the fins; I'm sure two would be sufficient.

I ended up attaching my BBII nose cone in the same manner.

After being way too busy during the holidays, and a long cold snap, it finally warmed up enough to get some paint on the Frenzy. Rustoleum sandable primer, Gloss White, Black, and Metallic Cobalt Blue. Vinyl decal by Stickershock. I still need to attach recovery gear and set up the avbay, but the rocket can be flown motor deploy as it sits now.

Mini Frenzy.jpg

Last edited:
Got the BBII completed. I painted the booster section white and used hand-cut black vinyl for the stripes. The nose cone was painted black. I decided to take a group photo of my Madcow Minis. The AGM-33 Pike is the cardboard version but I decided it could get in on the family photo.

20170417_172644.jpg

I managed to complete the avbay setup today. The altimeter sits at the forward end and the screw switch is at the rear. The 9V battery wedges between two wood blocks in the middle, and is held down with a couple zip ties. The mounting block for the screw switch is angled so the upper all-thread does not get in the way of where the screwdriver goes. Everything is a tight fit, but it does work!

20170420_120010.jpg

20170420_111544.jpg

Latest posts

Back