New rocketry product feedback request.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenex

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
As some of you know I have been working on developing some new high end components for hobby rocketry. I am now at a point that I think I am almost ready to release my first product, a composite through wall camera shroud kit. I am also ready to begin beta testing my second product, an active stabilization bay. To make sure I offer products that best fit the community’s needs I am looking for some feedback and have created a survey I hope everyone will take a few minutes to fill out. Anyone who completes the survey will receive a to be determined discount of their first order of both products. All identifying information is optional, but is required to qualify for the discount. To take the survey please use the following link:

(Survey Closed)

Last edited:
Thank you to everyone who has taken the survey! I posted the links on the TRA and NAR facebook groups as well and so far have 48 responses. It looks like the camera shroud will be quite popular, but approximately 50% of people would want it for a Mobius so I will have to get working on that. I will be making a mold for the 4" shroud in the next week or two, and if that works out will make the remainder of the molds and fixtures. The first batch of 3" and 4" shrouds could be available in January.

Thanks again to everyone who participated. I got 62 responses, with 46 leaving an email to qualify for a first order discount.

From the looks of it, the interest in the camera shroud is extremely high and the price point looks too be about right. I will be making the first set of production tooling next week, and if all goes well I will start accumulating stock. It will take a little while after that to developed a website, instructions, packaging. I hope to begin sales in January.

The stabilization bay also had some strong interest though the price will restrict it to about 25% of respondents. This is mostly due to the commercial parts costing just shy of $300. I will be working with some suppliers to bring this down.

Thanks again!

Just wondering, will you be selling it from your site, through other vendors, or both?

I haven't talked to any vendors yet but my preference would be both. With Black Friday madness queuing up I will wait until at least next week to make those phone calls.

I am closing the survey, thank you to everyone that participated. In total 78 people responded, and the feedback has helped me decide to move forward starting out as a new rocketry vendor. I will make an announcement in the next few weeks about this as things start to come together. I will also be emailing everyone who participated in the survey and left contact information. I will also follow up with anyone who lefts questions or comments to address their specific concerns. Thanks again!

I would love to see video of the stabilization bay. THAT is one heckuva piece of work!

keep up the work! you have some great talents/skills!

Hi Brian,

Very nice! I see that you will be publishing images for space allocation, do you think the 3" would work in a relatively large payload tube? Keeping in mind this is a retro not a new build and I am trying to avoid redoing the AV bay. With that said the deployment charges would be 3" to 4" below it and likely in-line with the charges to a degree. The upside is that the chute and shock cord should not be an issue because the bay is not tight.

This is an excellent idea. I definitely want one for my L2 project. Do you have a template that I could use to cut my own slot in LOC tubing?

Good luck!

Hi Brian,

Very nice! I see that you will be publishing images for space allocation, do you think the 3" would work in a relatively large payload tube? Keeping in mind this is a retro not a new build and I am trying to avoid redoing the AV bay. With that said the deployment charges would be 3" to 4" below it and likely in-line with the charges to a degree. The upside is that the chute and shock cord should not be an issue because the bay is not tight.

In this case you would want to use the sealed carrier, some care will be needed to make sure the shock cord and laundry don't get caught on the camera, but it should work just fine. If you look at the images in the 808 section, the mobius is a little larger in both dimensions. In a 3" tube it will come almost to the center line of the tube. Over the coming weeks I will be adding proper dimensioned drawings to my site so you can lay it out properly.

This is an excellent idea. I definitely want one for my L2 project. Do you have a template that I could use to cut my own slot in LOC tubing?

Good luck!

I will be posting cutting templates for these in the coming weeks before shipment. I will also be offering a routing service where you can send in tubing and I will route it, but to be honest if you're skilled with a dremel burr it's not so hard to do and any sloppiness can be covered when you fillet it into the airframe.

I have the original Mobius with the standard lens ..will it work with your Carrier ?

Kenny

Last edited:
I have the original Mobius with the standard lens ..will it work with your Carrier ?

Kenny

The standard lens will unfortunately not work. The shroud relies on the added width and length of the wide angle lens to create clearance for the sensor circuit board. That said, I believe I can get just the lens from the manufacturer for retrofit. I have not inquired about price but I would expect it to be around $20. I will ask about it and let you know. I will also add the 808 and Mobius lens modules to my store for people upgrading their existing cameras.

In this case you would want to use the sealed carrier, some care will be needed to make sure the shock cord and laundry don't get caught on the camera, but it should work just fine. If you look at the images in the 808 section, the mobius is a little larger in both dimensions. In a 3" tube it will come almost to the center line of the tube. Over the coming weeks I will be adding proper dimensioned drawings to my site so you can lay it out properly.

I will be posting cutting templates for these in the coming weeks before shipment. I will also be offering a routing service where you can send in tubing and I will route it, but to be honest if you're skilled with a dremel burr it's not so hard to do and any sloppiness can be covered when you fillet it into the airframe.

Thanks for the info Brian, I just placed an order.

Back