I'll [probably] never do ________ [again]!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
This thread is for rocketry-related things that you think you will never want to do again.

NOTE: this is not for mistakes. We all know we don't want to repeat our mistakes.

What are the things that you have just plain fallen out of love with? Or don't think you'll ever want to do?

I'll start:
  1. I'll probably never build/fly another long skinny rocket again (Richter Recker, Vertical Assault, Mean Machine, etc.).
  2. I'll probably never launch with an Estes E9 motor again.
  3. I'll probably never scratch build or roll my own tubes (unless, maybe after I retire, if I have lots of time, space and money).

I will probably never hook up the battery to my altimeter AFTER I have installed the ejection charge when using a magnetic switch. Very specific case yes, but a magnetic switch, plus an Eggtimer Quark, plus a loaded ejection charge and then hooking up the LiPo = BOOM on the table in front of me...dang near soiled myself.

Less seriously, I'll probably never build another glider...just not my thing.

I'll also probably never roll my own tube again. I tried that once, it worked OK but was kind of a hassle. LPR tubes are so darn cheap I can't see why I would ever want to roll another.

I'll probably never build a minimum diameter 24mm rocket and put a CTI G150 in it.
I'll probably never film a launch in 1080p 30fps and only get three frames of thesaid rocket launch, I could have gotten six!

I'll probably never again build a complex MIRV rocket with booster and paint it black again. Tracking 4 small rocket parts as they separate and do tumble recovery is tough! Probably why I lost it. :p

Next build is going to be dayglow yellow.

I will probably never hook up the battery to my altimeter AFTER I have installed the ejection charge when using a magnetic switch. Very specific case yes, but a magnetic switch, plus an Eggtimer Quark, plus a loaded ejection charge and then hooking up the LiPo = BOOM on the table in front of me...dang near soiled myself.

Less seriously, I'll probably never build another glider...just not my thing.

Hmmmmm, I wonder if that is a Qwark idiosyncrasy? When connecting the battery up with a magnetic switch inline (I'm talking about the Featherweight unit) the electronics go immediately on and I have to use the magnet to turn it off.

I haven't had an issue with a Raven altimeter even with a charge or ematch connected. I bench tested that mode and didn't have a problem. I'll bench test the Qwark with contained ematches and see if I can reproduce your experience.
If that's the case, one will have to attach the battery to the Qwark witout charges attached, turn off the mag switch and then proceed to attach the charges. Thanks for posting this one Cl(VII). Kurt

Hmmmmm, I wonder if that is a Qwark idiosyncrasy? When connecting the battery up with a magnetic switch inline (I'm talking about the Featherweight unit) the electronics go immediately on and I have to use the magnet to turn it off.

I haven't had an issue with a Raven altimeter even with a charge or ematch connected. I bench tested that mode and didn't have a problem. I'll bench test the Qwark with contained ematches and see if I can reproduce your experience.
If that's the case, one will have to attach the battery to the Qwark witout charges attached, turn off the mag switch and then proceed to attach the charges. Thanks for posting this one Cl(VII). Kurt

I'm curious to know if it is systematic, or just a fluke with mine (bad solder job or something fluky). I plan to do some bench tests too at some point before flying it, but a second independent data point is most welcome. I'm just REALLY glad I didn't have the entire mess in my lap when I did it.

I'll probably never try to modify a blow-molded PE nosecone to accommodate a nose-av-bay again. Did it on my Madcow Frenzy build so I could put my GPS tracker up front away from the all-thread, and it works great, but was such a huge PITA. Maybe if I had a better drill press...

I will probably never build another 13mm "teleporter" rocket (e.g. Mosquito, Quark, etc) with the hope of multiple flights again.

We call 'em "teleporters" because one second they're there, the next- they're somewhere else.

I will never try to solder surface mount components again.

You just need more practise! Tweezer technique is the key :)

I would like to never have to solder a through-hole component again. The last board I designed using THT was 2001, but some parts THT is better, so they keep hanging around...

I'll never leave in the motor block in a MP/HP rocket again.

+1s? :wink:

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1 +1

I will probably NEVER have time in my life to build all of the Model Rocket Kits I have ...........
Ebay may one day be my friend........... Sad but true.

Although its been mentioned-
I will certainly never fly an E9 again and
I will never build another MC Bomark, I dont enjoy sanding that bad.....

Not turn on my Chute Release. Yeah, I got to rebuild an 11 year old scratch build much better; however, nothing worse than remembering while it's in flight!

I feel your pain. I've never forgotten to turn it on, but I have forgotten to hook the tether to the rocket. Luckily, the field was newly mowed and there were lots of scouts there. It was recovered soon after. I too remembered as the rocket was coming down.

This thread is for rocketry-related things that you think you will never want to do again.

NOTE: this is not for mistakes. We all know we don't want to repeat our mistakes.

What are the things that you have just plain fallen out of love with? Or don't think you'll ever want to do?

I'll start:
  1. I'll probably never build/fly another long skinny rocket again (Richter Recker, Vertical Assault, Mean Machine, etc.).
  2. I'll probably never launch with an Estes E9 motor again.
  3. I'll probably never scratch build or roll my own tubes (unless, maybe after I retire, if I have lots of time, space and money).

E9 one of my favs John, build one of these to burn up your E9 pile or you can ship to me :)
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1479645074.346778.jpg
Art Applewhite

I will never build another rocket that is 18mm BT or smaller. Even though cheap to fly too much of a pain for me

Although its been mentioned-
I will never build another MC Bomark, I dont enjoy sanding that bad.....
I'll never put those fake barbeque skewers on the wings as pitot tubes again. Skewered my NC chute at deployment, preventing it from pulling out the main and it flat spun in-smashing the nacelles and breaking it's back and wings against the cruel, hard playa. Not exactly a core sample, but the slowest crash I've ever witnessed.

I'll never look at the tracker sitting in the range box-on top and right out in the open-and think "ah heck, I've already got the bird packed" Winds were calm at the surface. One big "I" motor and a scrawny MD bird and a 2.6 mile recovery walk later-I've learned my lesson.

Forgot LL until at the pad, check.
Disregarded sims and flew an underpowered motor, check.
P6180748_3FNC_Prang-235x300.jpg

Forgot to drill the delay on a CTI G69, check.
KKKrash7127.jpg

Flew a temperature cycled motor, check.
SAJCATO_4506-198x300.jpgSAJ_4507-199x300.jpg

Trusted a Kraken alone with a baby Llama in a room containing cutlery, check.
P1017022_sized.jpg

Last edited:
I'll never build an Estes Tomcat again. I built that bugger strong, and then gave it two coats of primer, then 3 coats of Air Force gray. Flew like a brick with wings. Heck, a brick might have flown better... :eyeroll: Then I find this forum, and read how the only way to get a Tomcat to glide well was to NOT paint it. :facepalm:
Oh well, one and done. Not my first flight like that, and won't be my last... :wink:

Back