Matter/Anti-matter and alternate energy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Global Warming / Climate Change isn't a belief, it's science. The best scientific data we have supports those conclusions. If you want to say they are wrong, you have to provide data. If you have no data, your belief can still be your belief I suppose, but it's not valid science. People believed the Earth was flat, that didn't make it true and, in fact, was provably false even then. I guess one has to decide if we're talking about science in this thread, or belief/religion/fiction....

If you want to say that it's not a bad thing, or doomsday scenarios in the future based on that data are wrong, you have a little more to work with. Those are projections, and while there is a lot of data backing them up, they are still "best guess". But still, they are peer reviewed and pretty well supported.

It literally has nothing to do with where I live, I don't vote like a typical New Yorker. You're not part of the "cigarettes don't cause cancer" crowd, are you?

You can choose to believe, or you can choose to learn. My mother in law (also from NY) doesn't "believe" in global warming. Global warming is real, it's quite elementary.

Global warming is junk science. Poor placement of thermometers, mathematical models of weather that do not take solar output into account, and a host of other issues.

The reality is that humans have only measured this stuff for a hundred years or so. This far too short a time span to really make sense of the long term. We could just as easily slip into another ice age as we could get substantially warmer. Have the sun go quiet for an extended period, and we will cool. Heck, by many definitions the earth is still in a glacial period as evidenced by the poles.

We live on a very dynamic planet. We are part of this system. This system has been much warmer and much cooler at different times. It will be both again whether we are here or not.

It literally has nothing to do with where I live, I don't vote like a typical New Yorker. You're not part of the "cigarettes don't cause cancer" crowd, are you?

You can choose to believe, or you can choose to learn. My mother in law (also from NY) doesn't "believe" in global warming. Global warming is real, it's quite elementary.

Sure: the Climate is changing, It always has, it always will. our world has had 7 ice ages and we are way overdue for another. The World may get a bit warmer but it will also get a lot colder as we go along. All that said to say do not be so arrogant to believe we humans have the power to change the world....its our Sun that is in charge.

I don't think global warming is a "Lib" idea. It's based on facts from scientist all over the world. There are islands in the south pacific that are disappearing. Miami's going under. The ice caps and glaciers are melting at an irreversible rate. As far as solar and wind power, and I'm speaking as a residential consumer, the big power companies are doing all they can to squash the solar industry. Solar means they don't make money. I don't think we are going to break our addictions to oil and gas in my life but if were going to keep using it, it needs to be WAY cleaner. There is already talk of so called Carbon taxes, and I wonder who gets that money? Weather you believe in global warming or not, one thing for sure, mother earth is hurtin.

The U.S. Navy sure believes that the climate is changing and sea levels are rising. Actually, all of the U.S. Armed Forces are looking at it and spending billions every year on it. On what you say? Well, the Navy is requiring that any base that is getting an upgrade looks at climate change. For example, piers now must be able to function if the water level rises a certain height above the current levels (I forget the details on this). The military is also looking at where do they think the lack of potable water will lead to conflict. They are developing weapons and tactics so that they can intervene in these areas. I'm sure the list goes on and on.

Global warming is junk science. Poor placement of thermometers, mathematical models of weather that do not take solar output into account, and a host of other issues.

The reality is that humans have only measured this stuff for a hundred years or so. This far too short a time span to really make sense of the long term. We could just as easily slip into another ice age as we could get substantially warmer. Have the sun go quiet for an extended period, and we will cool. Heck, by many definitions the earth is still in a glacial period as evidenced by the poles.

We live on a very dynamic planet. We are part of this system. This system has been much warmer and much cooler at different times. It will be both again whether we are here or not.

Well said!

I'm so releived to know that only the best and brightest are sent to Washington D. C. to craft our nation's energy and tax policies based solely on scientific consensus. :facepalm:

[video=youtube;zNZczIgVXjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg&index=3&list=FL7e6x-xp9lSosd4JrqNviDg&t=2s[/video]

Completely Agree. Smart Man.

Excellent example of the "echo chambers" that form whenever there is disagreement where false facts run rampant.

Poor placement of thermometers: Factually wrong, thermometers have measured the same trend all over the world.

Mathematical models of weather: These exact models, in the past, have predicted results later verified by observation.

We have records dating much further back than the time we've been actively measuring: tree coring, ice coring, etc.

In fact, (see what I did there? It's actual fact though...) You've mentioned that we don't have records before this past century. Well then, how do you know there were ice ages before now? This shows up a lot in false arguments, sets of contradictory arguments, each shaped to support an incorrect cause but unlike arguments in science, not fitting together when united.

Humans do have the power to change the world. If not, then why are there huge cities all over the earth, cultivated farmland, dammed rivers, seeded coulds? Would the cane toad be in Australia without us? How about algae blooms from runoff? Let me remind you that ships do not sail themselves across oceans and nitrogen does not fixate itself to make fertilizer and sprinkle itself onto lawns and farms.

The temperature is rising much faster now than ever before in your denied-then-referred-to historical temperature records.

Agreement doesn't necessitate intelligence, it portrays similarity in thought, fact or fallacy, and only that. Right now, you only have one side of the argument because all else gets ignored. But if you look at all the facts and compare them to the fallacies, you'll find that the facts build upon each other and the fallacies tear each other down.

Climate change has always happened. That is true. But it is happening at much faster rates corresponding to the much faster rates greenhouse gasses and other compounds have been released by humans into the atmosphere, oceans, and land.

To pit this in rocket terms: You prep a motor with igniter and plug. You load it into a rocket and hook it up to a known electrical system designed to fire the igniter which has a safety continuity key and a fire button. You turn the key. It shows continuity. You press the button. The igniter audibly fires and the the rocket shoots off.
But surprise! Mother Nature fired the rocket, all the igniters and wires were just fabricated evidence otherwise. Because as you can clearly see, the sun had reflected off a mirror and lit the motor after you pressed the fire button! The button does nothing whatsoever! The button also is wired to burn up the igniter to make it seem like the igniter fired the motor!

Sound silly, yea? It also sounds like your arguments about climate change.

Interesting discussion - especially for a rocketry forum.

Pythagoras proposed the earth was round some 2500 years ago. Not everybody believes it, even today. At some point we gotta' realize it not worth our time to educate those "flat earth" dudes. Some folks just won't have it, and that's ok, lets move on. :)

Global warming and climate change are terms that I really don't fully understand. Aren't we really talking about Air Pollution. At least I think we are talking about air pollution, I don't understand why we don't just call it that.
That makes much more sense to me. Some people want to reduce air pollution, and other people don't believe in it. Maybe they want MORE air pollution. I know, that's really over-simplified, but sometimes simple can be a good thing.

I found this video on YouTube to share. I like it because it's simple. It's pretty easy for me to see, and feel, the tremendous amount of free energy pouring down on us every day. All we need to do is develop better ways to use and harness it.

[video=youtube;4sfwDyiPTdU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfwDyiPTdU[/video]

Interesting discussion - especially for a rocketry forum.

Pythagoras proposed the earth was round some 2500 years ago. Not everybody believes it, even today. At some point we gotta' realize it not worth our time to educate those "flat earth" dudes. Some folks just won't have it, and that's ok, lets move on. :)

Global warming and climate change are terms that I really don't fully understand. Aren't we really talking about Air Pollution. At least I think we are talking about air pollution, I don't understand why we don't just call it that.
That makes much more sense to me. Some people want to reduce air pollution, and other people don't believe in it. Maybe they want MORE air pollution. I know, that's really over-simplified, but sometimes simple can be a good thing.

I found this video on YouTube to share. I like it because it's simple. It's pretty easy for me to see, and feel, the tremendous amount of free energy pouring down on us every day. All we need to do is develop better ways to use and harness it.

[video=youtube;4sfwDyiPTdU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfwDyiPTdU[/video]

Global warming refers to the trend of increasing average temperatures on the earth. It is a major part of climate change, a concept that refers to the changing climate (as a result of pollution and other sources) e.g. Dryer land, more watery snow, more ferocious storms, changing weather patterns (the patterns of the weather are part of climate, weather itself fluctuates and while climate refers to trends, patterns, and long term changes,) So basically, climate change and global warming are the effects of the addition of greenhouse gasses and other compounds to the earth.

The discourse is where people state that the earth's temperature fluctuates naturally and all the data is a fluke, etc. Basically, they're saying humans haven't been raising earth's temperature and changing its climate. Same issue here as with flat earthers, they'll only listen to their own false arguments, ignoring... you know... rational thought, truth, and logic.

The sun's energy is a great resource, but pricey initial costs is the main drawback. And it fluctuates, so storage is a problem when solar is used by itself. Sometimes wind and solar are used in conjunction, wind is better at night and on cloudy days, solar is better on sunny and calm days.

If you didn't understand the explanation in parts of it, tell me and I'll try to explain in greater detail.

Last edited:
The original post was about colliding matter with anti-matter to solve mans' energy needs. That thesis will require great effort and time to accomplish and I doubt that a solution will occur in my lifetime.

As for the debate between faith and science, consider this. Light travels a a tremendous velocity, 186,000+ miles per second. It takes sunlight some eight minutes to reach Earth, which means it's eight minutes old when our eyes see it. Science also tells us that that the Andromeda Galaxy is about 2.5 million light years distant, meaning that the light it emits is 2,500,000 old when we see it with our naked eyes on a clear night, even in Oklahoma.

Is it real or merely an illusion?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andromeda_Galaxy

Back