Cabernut's OpenRocket files thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cabernut

Reaction score
Upon the prompting by the OpenRocket Ninja himself, I was reminded that I have quite a few OR files that would be better shared than just sitting on a thumb drive somewhere. Good way to have a backup as well. I may include the occasional custom design if it's been flight-proven.

I've tried to make these look as good as I can while giving as close to real-world sim results as possible, wherever possible. An exception for example is the Ram Jet. No easy way to make it look accurate and sim accurate as well.

(EDIT)
Index to each model:
Estes Calypso #2006 - post #1
Estes Javelin #2005 - post #2
Estes Ram Jet #1994 - post #4
Estes Zinger #1917 - post #8
SpaceX Falcon 9 with Fairing - post #13
Estes Cosmic Interceptor #1351 - post #14
Strider - post #19
Maelstrom - post #23

I'll start off with the Estes Calypso #2006. It was a short-lived design that was only available in 1989-90.

OpenRocket .ork file
View attachment Calypso_2006.ork

Launch on A8-3
[youtube]9C81KcY-Vyc[/youtube]

Last edited:
And for the Estes Javelin #2005, I'll copy over from the original thread
Produced from 1989-91
Decals have been re-created @ 600dpi
PDF instructions should be very close to actual size when printed.

OpenRocket File:
View attachment Estes Javelin #2005.ork

Printable decal sheet:
View attachment 2005-decals-v3.pdf

Instructions:
View attachment 2005-1.pdf
View attachment 2005-2.pdf
View attachment 2005-3.pdf
View attachment 2005-4.pdf

Fin patterns:
2005Fin Sheet.jpg

I found where I got the fin sheet scan, credit goes to BARCLONE Rocketry for that one. Thank you Craig McGraw.

https://forums.rocketshoppe.com/showt...0&page=6&pp=10

Last edited:
Upon the prompting by the OpenRocket Ninja himself, I was reminded that I have quite a few OR files that would be better shared than just sitting on a thumb drive somewhere. Good way to have a backup as well. I may include the occasional custom design if it's been flight-proven.

Good start!

I've tried to make these look as good as I can while giving as close to real-world sim results as possible, wherever possible. An exception for example is the Ram Jet. No easy way to make it look accurate and sim accurate as well.

And... then... he reminds me of another design I lost in the HD failure. Look accurate? Yes. Sim accurate? No. Would that stop me? No, but I'd put a warning on the thing. Fortunately for me, we both posted the .ork files in his thread Ram Jet thread.

Last edited:
Nice Job! I tried re-working it, and I wasn't able to get it to sim over 550' (Estes claims 800').

How does the model compare to flight data?
The sim as-is gives 236 ft for a B6-4 where on Rocket Reviews, flight logs claim 500 to 540 ft on a B6-4.
Estes claims 800 ft on a C6-5, but the sim shows 448.

There's a lot of complex aerodynamic geometry here so the best way would be to override the Cd calculated from actual launches, however there's no way to do that currently in OR.

The ThrustCurve app will let you override drag so maybe with a dia set to 0.98 with a Cd of 1.2 or so seems close. I'll try and squeeze in my FireFly alt. one of these days to see what I get.

Here is another short-lived design that came back briefly with different paint scheme.

This one is about as basic as it gets. Basically just 7.75" of BT-20 + PNC-20A + balsa strip fins. Even a motor hook is too fancy. Simple but light and really moves.

*** Still working on this one. Needs decals and CG & weight override adjustment. Once I pull this one out of the build pile and build it, I can verify weight and CG.

Here is the original paint scheme

Here's the work-in-progress .ork file(original paint scheme but identical construction):
View attachment Estes Zinger (1917).ork

Excellent! I remember the Zinger in the catalogs but never owned one. Maybe it's time to borrow those plans and make my own.

Here and there I'm going to be branching out to models outside of the Estes bubble. First one will be the SpaceX Falcon 9 with Fairing kit. I just got one of these so the first thing I want to do is "ork" it. This is a neat kit. It appears to be designed and produced by SpaceX themselves. That is cool.

Reminder/caveat: If someone from SpaceX(or any other rocket company here on out for that matter) is uncomfortable with my posting of my own OpenRocket rendition of their kit, please do not post in this thread, please PM me. I have no problem respecting your wishes if you are or represent the intellectual property owner.

With that said, here is the first iteration of this work-in-progress:

.ork file:
View attachment SpaceX Falcon 9 with Fairing.ork

Note: Decals are going to be next to impossible since the entire body tube is pre-printed.
Also, wondering where you can get these? Go HERE.

Last edited:
This next one is a work-in-progress/coming soon. Only doable with the upcoming OpenRocket release, but by the time it's out, I should have this one ready to go.

Aside from the parts not modeled yet such as the wing struts, upper & lower center fins, the "air intake", everything should be quite accurate with the exception of the nose cone - which I never measured - and now that my Interceptor has been in a tree since March, may not get to measure for a long time. I had to just eyeball the nose cone based on pictures online.

Reminder/caveat: If someone from SpaceX(or any other rocket company here on out for that matter) is uncomfortable with my posting of my own OpenRocket rendition of their kit, please do not post in this thread, please PM me. I have no problem respecting your wishes if you are or represent the intellectual property owner.

Sooo, has anyone from Spacex sued you for posting a Falcon9 rendering generated with a simplistic hobby simulation program? :cool:

Sooo, has anyone from Spacex sued you for posting a Falcon9 rendering generated with a simplistic hobby simulation program? :cool:

No. Sounds silly though. However this has almost happened in the past with a certain rocketry manufacturer and hobbyist, neither of which I will identify, and details of which I will not discuss.

Legally speaking, Estes, for example, could make intellectual property claims all over this forum, but they don't because it would be very bad for business and the hobby as a whole.

Side story: Back in 2014, I made an Android game that was up on Google Play for about a year until Atari decided it was too similar to one of their games and had it pulled with an IP claim. I would have disputed since everything in it, code/graphics, was mine except the music which was CC by Attribution. But really there was nothing I could do. Who is Google going to listen to anyway, one guy with one free app, or a gaming behemoth? Realistically it wasn't worth it since I made no money and I don't have lawyers so I'm at the mercy of those who do.

But should the ridiculous happen, I've covered my a..

Here's the Zinger I just finished, using your plans. Thanks for posting them!

20170807_151148.jpg

Here's one of my own designs that has been flight-proven. It's sleek and fast. BT-56 to BT-50 with airfoiled fins.

EDIT - updated the .ork file - again, added launch lugs w/ standoffs.

View attachment Strider_v8.ork

Last edited:
Here's one of my own designs that has been flight-proven. It's sleek and fast. BT-56 to BT-50 with airfoiled fins.

(This file only needs a couple small tweaks so I'll update this post later since I have to leave for work in 5 minutes...)

View attachment 330710

[video=youtube;-Pl52xo0ox8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pl52xo0ox8[/video] :grin:

Love it! Very sleek and elegant. Got any pics of the real thing?

I happen to have one pic. Not a great one so sometime later today I'll grab it out of the garage so I can get a better shot of it.

There in the middle. I went with a darker green since I had plenty on hand at the time.

[EDIT]

Here is a better pic.

Last edited:
Here is the other BT-56 based rocket that I built the same time as the Strider. It's a 5-fin clipped delta more or less. Flights always seem to go higher than I expect. Fins are between rounded and airfoiled, about as good as you can do with 1/8" balsa.

View attachment maelstrom_v4.ork

Here is a pic of the "prototype" after several flights. The decal didn't come out as I expected but that's what I get for printing my own. I also added narrow silver paint ahead of the forward fins which adds just enough to it's simple look.

Here is another short-lived design that came back briefly with different paint scheme.

This one is about as basic as it gets. Basically just 7.75" of BT-20 + PNC-20A + balsa strip fins. Even a motor hook is too fancy. Simple but light and really moves.

*** Still working on this one. Needs decals and CG & weight override adjustment. Once I pull this one out of the build pile and build it, I can verify weight and CG.

Here is the original paint scheme

Here's the work-in-progress .ork file(original paint scheme but identical construction):
View attachment 307171
Zinger was a great little rocket.

Back