Missile Works "Cyber Monday" Sale - 11/28/2016 - 9AM to 9PM MST

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and done...

thank you Jim for an excellent sale. I am looking forward to playing with the Rtx

Got a second Tx and a new RRC3 to tether it to, and a couple Blue tooth modules. What a great system. Any of you guys who aren't sure about what you need for a complete system, give Jim a call. He's more than happy to talk to you about it. A complete system is not as much as you might think!:wink:

And the 2+ is such a sweet little no-fuss unit as well. Four switches and what they do printed on the unit. Easy peasy.

Thanks so much TRF! The sale was overwhelming, and I am humbled by the sheer volume of support and orders. :jaw:

Now that I am finally back home in the office this week I can begin the long and arduous task of unearthing from the immense production and order backlogs. If you did order during the sale (or afterwards), please allow us some extra time to come back on-line and get to fulfilling the backlog.

Nick -

Thanks for your patience as we worked thru fabrication and fulfillment.
The frenzy is almost over... we have only a few orders remaining to fulfill.

Got my RTx system last week. Had a bit of time this afternoon with the ice storm hampering outside activity, so decided to build my case. Picked up a simple case from Digi-key for like $9. The rest was built from parts laying around. I'm particularly pleased with my switch plungers (for LCD control) which I fashioned out of plastic rivets.

FullSizeRender (1).jpg

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Convenient hatch on back for 9V battery.

FullSizeRender.jpg

And the inside--pretty standard stuff.

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

Got my RTx system last week. Had a bit of time this afternoon with the ice storm hampering outside activity, so decided to build my case. Picked up a simple case from Digi-key for like $9. The rest was built from parts laying around. I'm particularly pleased with my switch plungers (for LCD control) which I fashioned out of plastic rivets.

View attachment 309386

View attachment 309387

Convenient hatch on back for 9V battery.

View attachment 309388

And the inside--pretty standard stuff.

View attachment 309389

Awesome job Tim. I got my Rtx last week. Still trying to decide what battery to use. Jim recommends the 1S Lipo, but Crazy Jim suggested a 2S. The problem is the 2S won't fit in the 3D printed case Jim sells and I am trying to decide if I'm gonna do a work around or just go back to the 1S.

Tim, how are you going to access the Program/Pause button? I take it you will do all your programing/settings ahead of time and then close it up? I like to be able to pause/toggle between the different screens.

Tim, how are you going to access the Program/Pause button? I take it you will do all your programing/settings ahead of time and then close it up? I like to be able to pause/toggle between the different screens.

Great looking case, Tim!
Adding another plunger for the PROG/PAUSE button will provide display control during usage.

For base Lipo batteries in the 3D printed case, I recommend the Nano Tech 2S 300mah:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-300mah-2s-35-70c-lipo-pack.html

Yes, on the PROG plunger, I need to get a longer rivet. I actually have them around somewhere, but couldn't find them yesterday. I didn't want to go drilling another hole into the front until I found it and made sure the dimensions were correct. To be honest, I probably will just use it mostly in the default scroll mode, but nice to have access anyway.

I have a compact 2S LiPo that fits in the same space as a 9V battery (actually smaller). I will probably swap that out, but didn't have time to configure yesterday.

Awesome job Tim. I got my Rtx last week. Still trying to decide what battery to use. Jim recommends the 1S Lipo, but Crazy Jim suggested a 2S. The problem is the 2S won't fit in the 3D printed case Jim sells and I am trying to decide if I'm gonna do a work around or just go back to the 1S.

I put a Turnegy Nanotec 2S 300 mah Lipo in Jims case and there is plenty of room & it lasts all day.

To be honest, I probably will just use it mostly in the default scroll mode, but nice to have access anyway.

You will want the basic pause operation when you're transposing your Lat/Lon waypoint into your handheld. Your case is a great example for others who want to roll their own. If you do add the additional plunger please share more pics!

You will want the basic pause operation when you're transposing your Lat/Lon waypoint into your handheld. Your case is a great example for others who want to roll their own. If you do add the additional plunger please share more pics!

Jim, transposing or transferring?! Or are you dyslexic and just emphasizing the point? BTW, I'm a pretty fast scribbler.

transpose : to transfer to a different place or context.
I presume you're entering/transposing Lat/Lon into an app or handheld?

transpose : to transfer to a different place or context.
I presume you're entering/transposing Lat/Lon into an app or handheld?

Oh, my vocabulary is limited to Webster's primary definitions only [1. cause (two or more things) to change places with each other.], as in what I commonly do with two numbers in a sequence. :).

And yes, I do need to transpose it.

Last edited:
Dyslexic transposition would be very bad for Lat/Lon waypoints, and I do agree that transfer is a much better verb choice. RTx does support 4 unique Lat/Lon display formats that make the transfer of coordinates to your 3rd party device a snap...

I can imagine someone accidentally transposing numbers of GPS coordinates while going to retrieve the rocket...

"Honey? Where's my passport! My rocket landed in Tibet somewhere... I'll be back in a few months!"

Great looking case, Tim!
Adding another plunger for the PROG/PAUSE button will provide display control during usage.

For base Lipo batteries in the 3D printed case, I recommend the Nano Tech 2S 300mah:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-300mah-2s-35-70c-lipo-pack.html

Jim,

This battery only comes from Hong Kong for $17.00 shipping plus $5.00 for the battery. Does anyone have a link for the battery that ships from the USA?
edit: Found it on Amazon for $14ish with free shipping. So, order placed. Turns out I previously ordered a 800mah 7.4v... Oops :facepalm:
Adrian

Last edited:
I have a question. Is there the added option to integrate a GPS chipset with the handheld reciever for basic directional navigation? I believe I saw a posting that had pics showing the LCD on the receiver with a compass rose pointing the way.
I will tell you I highly recommend a system that will automatically navigate for you with no input from the user. Sure, folks input coordinates by hand all the time but make a little mistake and you may or may not find your rocket. It's one less thing
the flier needs to worry about. If one doesn't have that capability, be careful and see if they can find or witness someone who has that option. It will make one salivate to see it in action.

It looks like a very robust system especially with the 250mW transmitter power. Nothing trumps raw Rf horsepower output on a tracker GPS or otherwise.

Another small suggestion. Practice a lot with it before actually launching your rocket. If one can take their tracker bay and put it up on a roof or hoist it up in a tree a ways to do a range check with the receiver, they'll go a long way to avoid surprises out in the field. If one gets an unexplained attenuation with the tracker range during their test, they better figure out what's going on before flying .

One last test is go out in a field and lay the tracker bay on level ground and walk away. It is helpful to know what the ground footprint is of the tracker installation. Be aware if the rocket/tracker lands in a depression or between corn rows the ground
footprint can be seriously degraded.

Do stuff like this and one will avoid most of the stupid mistakes I made with GPS tracking. It is a very sick feeling launching on a screamer motor, totally sight unseen and not receiving anything. Been there, done that and don't wish it on anyone.
(I was lucky an eagle eyed person got a visual on that one as I was B.C.E., Before Cataract Extraction and got it back!) Kurt

Not a compass but an arrow points left, right or straight ahead. It's a pretty foolproof system with little practice required.

Back