-----

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there should be a minimum age requirement to be here on the forum. People on here dont want to argue with a juvenile. I think minimum age should be 16. Anything younger then that is to immature.

How would you enforce this? Its one of those things that sounds reasonable on paper, but how would you actually determine someone's age? Just for argument's sake, what if TRF put you in charge of verifying people's ages before joining. Short of making them snail mail you an original birth certificate or other official document there is no easy way to do it. Its too easily faked to be a worthwhile test.

I think a better approach is to tell everyone to be respectful to all other members. If you don't want someone saying it to your grandmother or to a 5 year old kid, don't say it here.

The 2008 version of "Day the Earth Stood Still" was a disgrace to the intent and spirit of the excellent original movie. The original was the smartest SciFi movie in decades, IIRC only 2001 a Space Odyssey topped it in 1968 (OK, Forbidden Planet was pretty nice but IMHO Day the Earth Stood Still was smarter).

The original movie prevented anyone from dying when the Earth Stood Still, planes did not fall out of the sky, hospital operating rooms stayed powered. IIRC only two humans died in that and those were two army guards who were about to shoot the robot Gort, after Klaatu was shot and killed by the army and Gort self-activated to go get his body.

In the horrible 2008 steaming mess, Gort becomes a huge monster thing that splits into thousands of parts that fly around like a whirlwind causing death and destruction of anything and anyone in its path (or at least that is what I recall).

I only saw that movie once, with a friend. We were both shocked at how horrible it was. Never saw it again, never will.

I absolutely agree. Another sad case of someone thinking we can take a great movie from years ago and ratchet up the special effects and make it even better. WRONG! The movie was NEVER about special effects you clod heads who did the remake; it was about the characters. And that is true for EVERY great movie.

And incidentally, the original has one scene that makes my wife and I cringe/laugh every time we watch it. The guy at the boarding house (Hugh Marlowe as Tom Stevens) who wants to go out on a date with the woman who has the young son (Patricia Neal as Helen Benson). She is hesitant because she doesn't want to leave her son alone. Mr. Stevens suggests that she have the guy that just moved (Michael Rennie as Klaatu) in watch her son while they are out. You know, the guy that nobody knows anything about. The guy who in fact is a freaking ALIEN!!!!. It just shows how times have changed.

Well, we leave our kids with my in-laws, and I am absolutely convinced that they are aliens! :wink:

The 2008 version of "Day the Earth Stood Still" was a disgrace to the intent and spirit of the excellent original movie. The original was the smartest SciFi movie in decades, IIRC only 2001 a Space Odyssey topped it in 1968 (OK, Forbidden Planet was pretty nice but IMHO Day the Earth Stood Still was smarter).

The original movie prevented anyone from dying when the Earth Stood Still, planes did not fall out of the sky, hospital operating rooms stayed powered. IIRC only two humans died in that and those were two army guards who were about to shoot the robot Gort, after Klaatu was shot and killed by the army and Gort self-activated to go get his body.

In the horrible 2008 steaming mess, Gort becomes a huge monster thing that splits into thousands of parts that fly around like a whirlwind causing death and destruction of anything and anyone in its path (or at least that is what I recall).

I only saw that movie once, with a friend. We were both shocked at how horrible it was. Never saw it again, never will.

There is a point in each of these two movies that I feel resonate in our world today, in The Day the Earth Stood still 2008, Keanu was captured, in a room being questioned by the secretary of the state, and says something along of the lines of "even at the premise" of extinction, mankind still does not get it. Now I am not a movie buff, and don’t recall the scene exactly, but I am close.

Second point, in the "Watchmen" one of the characters detonates a bomb made to look like it was from the character Michael. The bomb is set off in NYC and decimates the city. Prior to the bomb a war was about to begin, I think with Russia the US and perhaps a few other states. The devastation of the bomb makes the entire world unite and sees Michael as the villain. A villain that the entire world now shares, a single enemy in common. Michael is quite aware who did it, instead of providing evidence and clearing his name he chooses not to. He sees the bomb united the world and the world now shares one common enemy creating peace.

I have not watched these movies in quite some time, and I am aware I don’t have the story line exactly straight, but you get the point. We the human race keep pushing the limits without much regard for our consequences. It will take something massive to grab our attention, and only hope whatever it is that the lesson will last. You would think much of the major travesties of the past in the world would have done so already, too many to state and again I think you get my point.

So, can Technology save us??? The answer is yes, if we wanted it too! In 1942 we the US were able to employ 120 thousand people and have them focus on a single task over a two-year period, invent and build an atomic bomb! Look what we can do when we put our mind to it. Now we just need to redirect that focus to saving our planet, saving lives, saving lots of things we are destroying.

Instead we ignore what’s going on in front of us. I mean really…. we don’t want to call it global warming that creates way too much concern and someone may feel like we have to do something about it. Let’s rename it and call it “climate change” its far more palatable and allows us to talk about with with-out feeling uncomfortable and feeling the need to do something about it.

Andrew is taking ALL his marbles and going home. He deleted all his posts out of this thread and at least two others.

Andrew is taking ALL his marbles and going home. He deleted all his posts out of this thread and at least two others.

Ah ha! I thought ---- was Morse Code. Thanks for the clarification you horny devil! :pc:

I'd say Andrew has taken quite a pummeling for this and a few others of his threads. I'd say leave him be. He's had his good threads too.

Okay everyone. I have had requests to lock this thread, including the OP. Particularly since the OP has deleted all of his posts, this is now pretty difficult to make any sense of, so I'm going to go ahead and lock it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back