Turbine Rocket Saucer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the CMASS winter launch 1/15/11 in Acton, MA the Turbine Rocket Saucer flew 3 more times.

At Kenn's suggestion flew the TRS on 5x D11-P motors to see what would happen with an imbalanced motor load.

It flew so well I did this same flight setup 3 times, both to repeat the test and because 5x BP D motors is the maximum propellant mass allowed at a low power launch. A slight wobble could be seen just before touchdown on one flight, but other than that, all 3 flights went smoothly.

The other thing that was notable about the launch was the weather. It was cold, about 20F, but sunny with low winds and 1-2' of powder snow on the ground.

This was the only launch I've been to where cleaning snow off the rockets was part of the recovery process. Made for very soft landings.

Attached pictures of TRS flight 17 were taken at 1/1000sec exposure. Using the same logic as previous posts analyzing the apparent smearing of LEDs, I estimate that the TRS was spinning at about 2000RPM.

Videos of TRS flight 16:
lo def ( 4MB ) https://bpasa.com/Movies2011/TRS16.wmv
hi def ( 16 MB ) https://bpasa.com/Movies2011/TRS16.mpg

IMG_6494.jpg

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6498.jpg

IMG_6452.jpg

Another interesting view of a 11/19/11 night flight, thanks to Dave Lindbergh.

This 8 second exposure captures much of the flight in one image.

Can see the 6x D11 motors pushing hard at first and tapering off, with a flare at the end of the burn, then just the LEDs spinning.

IMG_4065.jpg

Another interesting view of a 11/19/11 night flight, thanks to Dave Lindbergh.

This 8 second exposure captures much of the flight in one image.

Can see the 6x D11 motors pushing hard at first and tapering off, with a flare at the end of the burn, then just the LEDs spinning.

That is one of the coolest rocketry photos I have ever seen, both beautiful and amazing. My compliments to the photographer and the builder/flier!

Very interesting! Nice flights!! Can appreciate the work that went into the build. Don't think I would have patience. Made a flying saucer I call the "CW Saucer". Can anyone figure out what the CW stands for? "Cool Whip". If any of you are working in clubs with cubscouts or just want to try something different, this is it. Took me a 1/2 hr to build, once I had the empty cool whip container. Flew it over 2 dozen times, then repaired and flew another dozen times. Next one I tried was with a 24mm. You definitely need a BT on top, nosecone wt too, for stability. Toughest thing was finding a LL, long enough. Soda straws won't stick with any glue unless wrapped in paper, like "return address labels." Then you need to watch the ejection charge. (extending BT above the top surface, so ejection charge won't burn LL will help). First couple of flights were great, till LL melted. (best motors have no "E" charge but, hard to find)

This was the only launch I've been to where cleaning snow off the rockets was part of the recovery process. Made for very soft landings.
Edit out shadow in that last pic and you have a sci-fi movie set!
Neat rocket, neat thread.

If could get altitude of 500 feet just think of all the UFO reports you would cause with those sparks and lights.
Cool.

Last edited:
Back