Cool Tip from Old Estes Newsletter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave A

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My brother, Bill, use to send tips and suggestions to Estes and they would publish the best ones in the Estes Newsletter. Bill found a 1963 Estes Newsletter on eBay.
Here is the tip he suggested using jacket buttons to keep chute shroud lines from tangling. Bill was 15 years old at that time. Enjoy!

Bill Alewine estes Newsletter 1963.jpg

Life was a lot simpler then, eh? Some of the old tricks are new tricks now and some are yet to be discovered. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. ( I helped start the rocket club in Warner Robbins, Ga.in the 60's!)

Ha! Something about the pot and the kettle? All i know is I keep joining the 12 step recovery programs and none of them have made the walks to the rocket any shorter......

Ha! Something about the pot and the kettle? All i know is I keep joining the 12 step recovery programs and none of them have made the walks to the rocket any shorter......

Have they made the rockets any shorter?

Depends on your point of view. On the pad, they can be huge. At 8k feet they are leetle tiny specks......

In terms of distance from the top of the rocket to the bottom, aka: has it caused any lawn darts?

Have they made the rockets any shorter?

Hmmmm...after the pot & kettle, all I know for sure is my memory IS shorter.

Depends on your point of view. On the pad, they can be huge. At 8k feet they are leetle tiny specks......

You're do'n WAY better than me, after 800ft, I'm listening to the tracker.

In terms of distance from the top of the rocket to the bottom, aka: has it caused any lawn darts?

Wow, didn't know ya'll still played that yard game.Ain't that he one where ya put a hula-hoop 50ft away and toss rockets into the circle for points?

So yes, long skinny ones seem to work better. More of a "handle" to toss them with & they stick in the dirt 'mo better. :tongue:

Wow, didn't know ya'll still played that yard game.Ain't that he one where ya put a hula-hoop 50ft away and toss rockets into the circle for points?

So yes, long skinny ones seem to work better. More of a "handle" to toss them with & they stick in the dirt 'mo better. :tongue:

Hula Hoop? What are we, cultured?!? We just have a person lay down.

We also sand nose cones to a point. Then we fill the them with lead shot. And since they're heavy now, we launch them instead of throw.

It's formally called "spot landing", but we also call it Disposable Man System (there's a reloadable man system too. His name is scarecrow. But DMS is much faster and more fun.), "Call an ambulance", and "Oh, shoot! Someone's coming!"

Back