Problems Downloading data from ANY Stratologger

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave A

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Once I had to do a certain method, boot up Strato 1st, or the program first, nothing seems to work consistently.
Put tinfoil on the rabbit ears doesn't help either!
What gives?

Last edited:
Dave, I do not have one, but basic questions. What operating system? Were you able to connect previously with this computer? If it worked before, how long ago ( thinking an intervening update might cause an issue)?

Once I had to do a certain method, but up Strato 1st, or the program first, nothing seems to work consistently.
Put tinfoil on the rabbit ears won't help either!
What gives?

Did you make sure you dont have a bad cable?

So what exactly is the problem?

Many years ago I used to have problems with the software not recognizing the comm port. But that was several computers ago. I can't recall having an issue in years.

I had a data recorder that connected via USB to my dragbike. It had in the instructions a link to some industry standard drivers it had me load. I was wondering if this would help?

I've had that issue and swapped to another computer and it worked right off the bat. I've also had one that would work with one computer and another that just wouldn't. Sadly I've found no rhyme nor reason as to why I've run into this.

I had a data recorder that connected via USB to my dragbike. It had in the instructions a link to some industry standard drivers it had me load. I was wondering if this would help?
I've had USB drivers for one device bonk the ones for a previously installed device. On an older laptop I installed a serial to USB cable driver that then rendered it impossible to connect to any of my Featherweight altimeters. No amount of reinstalling or mucking around ever got them to work again. Fortunately I had another laptop I could use so I just gave up trying to get them to work. At least on under Win7 on my current laptop I can get all my altimeters to read, which at last count was 4 different brands that had USB interfaces - RDAS, Ozark ARTS, Perfectflite, and Featherweight.

Tony

Sorry folks, just got frustrated the other night. I know to troubleshoot but I only had one cable in the shop. It worked before but did not the other night.
One of my DTU4's has a mini USB (used for Mobius and GoPro cameras) and the other had a micro usb.
On a WinXP ThinkPad it recognized the one with the mirco USB, no problem. The USB driver was already in Windows XP.
Some of the mini USB's have a different pin arrangement where Mobious warned it could damage the camera.
(I have not had one damaged but some of the mini cables will not connect to the Mobius.)
I swapped to another USB mini cable now both work.
I also have an original serial port download cable from the miniAlt days. Perfectlite says it will work with the new Stratologgers and Pnut. I have acquired several used laptops from folks at work. Older WinXP laptops work great for downloading flights and video files. Some have a COM port and all have plenty of USB ports.

As far as recognizing which com port to use is easy.
Run DataCap program and select the com port utility.
See which come ports are active.
Insert the usb cable connected to the DTU4, (do not plug into the altimeter yet)
Then click on rescan again, the newest port that shows is the one to select for the DataCap program.

I should have done more troubleshooting before I posted....:(

Back