Goldfinger II: Built! Flown!.......repaired

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as part of the Tandem-x launch set, or separately? either way it looks to be a fairly uncomplicated rocket to build(please note I have not built this kit so I am basing this mainly on this thread :)). the launch set gives you most of what you would need to start flying and the amazon rocket could be built in one afternoon and flown the next day, thus satisfying the urge to fly something while building the crossfire(which looks like it could take few nights for the glue & paint to dry). have fun,
Rex

I'm looking for something like this for my first project, Would you guys recommend this model?

as part of the Tandem-x launch set, or separately? either way it looks to be a fairly uncomplicated rocket to build(please note I have not built this kit so I am basing this mainly on this thread :)). the launch set gives you most of what you would need to start flying and the amazon rocket could be built in one afternoon and flown the next day, thus satisfying the urge to fly something while building the crossfire(which looks like it could take few nights for the glue & paint to dry). have fun,
Rex

Rex is right. The crossfire is a great rocket for a first time skill 1 build. It has a slotted tube for the tabbed fins, the cool nozzle piece, and those little Millennium Falcon finlets for fun. (Not just 3 fins and a nose cone!).
Pro-tip: Because its so light and narrow, an A gives it a great flight. Make sure you have a much bigger field if you go for C's (or even B's sometime if its windy)

[if you don't do thick fillets, and stick with sharpy and the stickers, you can build it in a couple hours lol]

It can be bought by itself, or it can be gotten as part of the Tandem-X set.
I recommend the Tandem because you get 2 rockets, a lunch pad, and a controller for <$30.

You may have seen the Amazon in post #16 above. Its nice looking for an Easy-2-assemble rocket. Good pad presence, and it doesn't fly out of the park on a C.

You should try putting an Aerotech RMS D in it. That would be a fast and high flight! My guess is somewhere around 1600ft.

I haven't been able to launch from a field that's friendly to +1500 motor deployment (without a Chute Release that is).
That's how I lost my first leviathan, and my first magician. I'm considering trying the single use 18 mm D's , but not in a little cloud puncher like the Crossfire. I've also investigated the 18/20 case, but I'd have to fly +15 of the reloads before its cost effective over the disposables. I like getting my rockets back, so I'll probably only try those in the SAM the patriot, the Amazon, and my M. Redstone.

I recently did a thorough 3-part complete review / build / launch of the Tandem-X. The 3 videos are centered around people new to rocketry who are just getting started.

Hopefully it helps some people get off to a good start.

Part 1. What's in the box and review of the awesome Porta-Pad.
[youtube]S4J8Mb4tacY[/youtube]

Part 2. Assembly of the E2X Amazon + launch
[youtube]yizmVH2mXuE[/youtube]

Part 3. Build of the Crossfire ISX + launches
[youtube]ZcH-ZMQicYs[/youtube]

I recently did a thorough 3-part complete review / build / launch of the Tandem-X. The 3 videos are centered around people new to rocketry who are just getting started.

Hopefully it helps some people get off to a good start.

So they DO have Youtube in Canada. The rumors are true.....

:grin:

So they DO have Youtube in Canada. The rumors are true.....

:grin:
Yes. Nantook and I occasionally have to brave the elements and leave the igloo to brush snow off the satellite dish in order to maintain our connection to the outside world from this frozen hostile wasteland.

Nice overviews. I like how you skipped over trying to jam the rods together. I hate those springsteel pieces.

You know, I never noticed that "Cut the corner off the shockcord" tip to get it through the loop. Thats what I get for trying to ignore instructions more and more.

Buying the Tandam-X kit is the way to go. I was able to purchase this kit from my local Hobby Lobby with their 40% off coupon. Came out to $18.00 total. Its like getting the Amazon, new launch set and controller for an extra $5.00, not bad having extra blast shields also. I do a daily run to use my coupon once per day. Picked up quite a few rockets to build this winter. Their selection isn't half bad. I need to start spending these coupons more on engines though. I have my eye on their Porta-Pad E, but may look for some 6' 1/4" Stainless rod stock to build my own launch pad. I have a nice heavy duty Bogen tripod I can setup for this and possibly a small rail setup. Looking into a rail system for the mid power stuff I have and one strong enough to do some level one/two launches.

I went to the local hobbytown and bought a pack of Quest C6-5s. Figured I'd use my extra solar's and keep the Q2s for igniting charges in the future.

I love that Hobby lobby 40% coupon. Its like buy 5 get 2 free

The fin has been repaired, and Goldfinger II can once again take its place next to its fraternal twin leaning against the rocket wall.

The only picture in primer was incidental while working on a Sequoia. Gads, those 1/16th balsa fins are scary. I feel like they'll snap if I look at them wrong....
IMG_20170121_201843224.jpgIMG_20170123_183406313.jpg

I'm looking for something like this for my first project, Would you guys recommend this model?

This model is great entry into the hobby. It also comes in a set called the Tandam-X, which gives you the launch pad, controller and an additional rocket, the Amazon. My local Hobby Lobby carries them, and they have a weekly 40% off coupon you can use. Brings the price for the entire kit down to $18.00, yes the coupon can be used to buy it online also. Have fun!

The fin has been repaired, and Goldfinger II can once again take its place next to its fraternal twin leaning against the rocket wall.

The only picture in primer was incidental while working on a Sequoia. Gads, those 1/16th balsa fins are scary. I feel like they'll snap if I look at them wrong....
View attachment 310090View attachment 310091

Kind of how I felt about building my little Star Trooper, those fins were so thin, I was afraid to breathe on them.

Back