Is there a "Missiles of the World"?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmazanec1

Reaction score
I own Peter Alway's Rockets of the World ​2nd ed.
Is there a comparable source for the military side of the field?

No, to my knowledge, Peter generally stays away from modern missiles. He had some on his website. It's gone but the Wayback Machine may have captured some of that.

Pete was recently looking for info on 3.5" Bazooka Rockets, so I don't think he has any particular bias against them, and infact I have catalogued pretty much all of his work save for the primitive stuff like the stick rockets with poitny metal tips and those drawings, though I find myself suddenly wanting that collection too....
A lot of folks have the data you might need, so let us know what you are thinking about building, and I for one will tirelessly research to the best of my ability for you to find you drawings and dimensions, as it is either something I know where to find, or I need it too.
Feel free to PM me with any ideas even.
I have lots of Books, lots of files, lots of pics'. Good links to follow to.

Last edited:
I have a small 48-page booklet by Peter Alway & Chris Timm entitled, "Fourteen US Army Missiles of the Cold War". It's really very good. I have used it in the past for the Corporal and Nike Hercules. The missiles are Corporal, Dart, Hawk, Honest John, Jupiter, Lacrosse, Lance, Little John, Nike Ajax, Nike Hercules, Pershing, Redstone, Sergeant, and the Spartan. I see on the cover that it says NAR Technical Service.

I have a small 48-page booklet by Peter Alway & Chris Timm entitled, "Fourteen US Army Missiles of the Cold War". It's really very good. I have used it in the past for the Corporal and Nike Hercules. The missiles are Corporal, Dart, Hawk, Honest John, Jupiter, Lacrosse, Lance, Little John, Nike Ajax, Nike Hercules, Pershing, Redstone, Sergeant, and the Spartan. I see on the cover that it says NAR Technical Service.

I bet that's where the website that I mentioned came from. Didn't know there was a book. I could have sworn I've seen him say online he wasn't into modern missiles. V2's, bazookas and fire sticks are not that modern.

I guess you learn something new everyday!

I'de like to add that Pete seems like a busy guy, but he does come here, and I once had the opportunity to share a few PMs with him.
I was quite honored indeed by getting to talk to him via PM, and he seems like a very dedicated person.
His Books are an inspiration to me to learn Scale and Line Drawing.

Thanks Pete, for all you give to Rocketry!

I bet that's where the website that I mentioned came from. Didn't know there was a book. I could have sworn I've seen him say online he wasn't into modern missiles. V2's, bazookas and fire sticks are not that modern.

I guess you learn something new everyday!

So do I. The original RotW avoided missiles, aside from those used for research. That was because my principale interest is space exploration, but it also had to do with who I was married to at the time. But I've always been quite aware that older missiles have played a major role in the space program. My views about what is interesting to draw have changed over the years, and I started some pre-1970 missile books 10+ years ago for NARTS. I finished a Soviet missile booklet and the Army missile book mentioned above. I have some Pre-1970 missiles from the US Navy and Air Force drawn but unpublished. Pre-1970 because the missiles that interested me were those in the old Monogram "36 Space Missiles" kit from 1969. For me, after that is to "modern" to grab me. I spent the bulk of 2015 chasing down the very beginnings of rocketry, drawing up things like Chinese fire-arrows and Congreve rockets. At that point I started looking at the time between gunpowder rockets and the cold war. I've discovered a few threads in WW II rocketry that I want to explore. Ideally I'd get something drawn representing the British cordite rockets, Caltech's rockets for the US Navy (like the HVAR/Holy Moses), Clarence Hickman's Section H rockets for the Army (that's where the bazooka fits in), as well as the JPL (Private A and post-war Corporal) as well as Russian solid rockets (Katyusha) and of course, the famous German program. And I hope to fold it into one monstrous edition of "Rockets of the World." Work is kind of stalled right now (a nice third-person way to say I'm feeling stuck lately), but I hope to make some real progress in the near future. Like maybe finish up that bazooka.

Peter Alway

So do I. The original RotW avoided missiles, aside from those used for research. That was because my principale interest is space exploration, but it also had to do with who I was married to at the time. But I've always been quite aware that older missiles have played a major role in the space program. My views about what is interesting to draw have changed over the years, and I started some pre-1970 missile books 10+ years ago for NARTS. I finished a Soviet missile booklet and the Army missile book mentioned above. I have some Pre-1970 missiles from the US Navy and Air Force drawn but unpublished. Pre-1970 because the missiles that interested me were those in the old Monogram "36 Space Missiles" kit from 1969. For me, after that is to "modern" to grab me. I spent the bulk of 2015 chasing down the very beginnings of rocketry, drawing up things like Chinese fire-arrows and Congreve rockets. At that point I started looking at the time between gunpowder rockets and the cold war. I've discovered a few threads in WW II rocketry that I want to explore. Ideally I'd get something drawn representing the British cordite rockets, Caltech's rockets for the US Navy (like the HVAR/Holy Moses), Clarence Hickman's Section H rockets for the Army (that's where the bazooka fits in), as well as the JPL (Private A and post-war Corporal) as well as Russian solid rockets (Katyusha) and of course, the famous German program. And I hope to fold it into one monstrous edition of "Rockets of the World." Work is kind of stalled right now (a nice third-person way to say I'm feeling stuck lately), but I hope to make some real progress in the near future. Like maybe finish up that bazooka.

Peter Alway

Well, I guess I was right and wrong at the same time. I've liked all new old stuff you have been doing. Someday I want to build a Fyrpil.

Speaking of some of the WWII era rockets Peter is speaking of, I came across this very cool link to a .PDF scan of the great book about the early history of Wallops Island. It was over on YORF and some here on TRF might not be aware of it. The print version is hard to find.

A New Dimension--Wallops Island Flight Test Range--The First Fifteen Years

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19790011995.pdf

Wallops used many WWII rockets as a starting point for their research.

Last edited:
In addition to the excellent book mentioned by James above, you should have the following in your reference library:

Rockets & Missiles of World War 3

British Secret Projects: Hypersonics, Ramjets, and Missiles

The Rockets and Missiles of White Sands Proving Ground 1945-1958

US Guided Missiles The Definitive Guide

Soviet/Russian Aircraft Weapons

Soviet/Russian Unmanned Aerial Vehicles

Andrew

Back