rusto 2x ultra in humidity

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
Rusto 2x Ultra says to use above 50 degrees, below 65% humidity. What should I expect a little bit outside those guidelines? Still warm enough and nothing crazy, but maybe 73% humidity. I do not mind if it takes longer to dry but hope it still comes out well afterwards.

The problem with paint and humidity is the paint will actually capture the moisture and you'll end up with blisters. I noticed this a lot spraying in the South where it was always 90% humidity. You're dancing right on the edge but so you may get by but it has less to do with dry time and more with the paint properly flashing.

Pretty good example of moisture caught between paint and material - https://www.astra-mk2.com/0ddball/gte_ver2.0/dimples01.jpg

With some paint formulations humidity accelerates the drying process so you need to take this into consideration when spraying by adjusting your spray distance. Closer for higher humidity. What I have found helpful is to spray a piece of cardboard at the time of spraying just to see if the environment has an effect on the spray. This helps me to adjust before I commit on the project. This practice was born out of my hate for sanding.

Im in west central Fl so painting in humidity is a constant - lol . I have found with the Ultra2x , is to take your time, a few lighter layers and dry between layers before going for that final coverage finish really helps.
In other words , dont try and achieve that glossy total coverage on the first coat. :wink:

The problem with paint and humidity is the paint will actually capture the moisture and you'll end up with blisters. I noticed this a lot spraying in the South where it was always 90% humidity. You're dancing right on the edge but so you may get by but it has less to do with dry time and more with the paint properly flashing.

Pretty good example of moisture caught between paint and material - https://www.astra-mk2.com/0ddball/gte_ver2.0/dimples01.jpg

Wow! That paint job must have been done in extreme conditions, most common problem with high humidity is blushing.

That's the thing about moisture, it takes years for the moisture to fight against the bond between the paint and the material. Just like rust, it eventually always wins.

The thread from that image I posted -
"its funny this thread popped up again as the car had to go back to the body shop on the 7th april to fix some prodigious mirco blisters all over the roof. they had laid dormant for nearly 4 years and popped up over the winter. caused by moisuture between the primer and top coat when it was spray in 2008 :("

Back