Josh's 29mm Big Daddy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What altitude did you achieve with the I297?

If I remember correctly, the Rocksim simulation gave 7,100 AGL as max altitude and a little over mach 1 for max velocity. In my experience, the default Rocksim settings are generous and I suspect the actual altitude and velocity was much lower.

If I remember correctly, the Rocksim simulation gave 7,100 AGL as max altitude and a little over mach 1 for max velocity. In my experience, the default Rocksim settings are generous and I suspect the actual altitude and velocity was much lower.
Ok, you did not get an actual altitude. That's what I was hoping to know. Thanks...

You could use a 38mm mount and use a 29mm adapter for a lot more motor options.

I've got one nearly finished that has a 38mm MMT, reinforced body, 1/8 ply fins, and I'm working on a nose cone a/v bay for an archetype cable cutter solution. It's a freaking rock. Body almost feels like it's been glassed.

Last edited:
I've got one nearly finished that had a 38mm MMT. Reinforced body, 1/8 ply fins, and I'm working on a nose cone a/v bay for an archetype cable cutter solution. It's a freaking rock. Body almost feels like it's been glassed.

Mine had one wrap of 6 ounce glass on the body tube. The stock balsa fins were soaked in a mixture of epoxy, acetone and water then pressed between two sheets of wax paper. The cured fins were through the wall mounted to the motor mount which was held in by half inch plywood centering rings. The fin roots and exposed fin edges then had one inch wide strips of 2 ounce glass laminated on with slow cure epoxy. Once it all hardened up the assembly had a final finishing (thinned) coat of slow cure epoxy slathered on. It resulted in a glossy finish that smoothed out my mediocre body tube glassing job.

The nose cone base was cut off to allow for the longer motors to fit and had some lead shot and shock cord anchor epoxied into the tip. I don't remember the amount of nose weigh but the finished rocket ready for a motor was 24 ounces. The finished rocket included about 8 feet of 1/8th inch wide Kevlar shock cord and an 18 inch, rip stop nylon X-form parachute.

It flew well on 3 grain, CTI motors like the G125 or G250 using a motor adapter and it really screamed on the 38mm I motors like the I297, I540 or I800.

Good luck with your build.

Please post a picture when you can.

Thanks,

Threemorewishes

Back