Bogus Tips & Alternate Facts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assume that all Estes kits are safe/good to fly as designed...heck, they know what they're doing, right?

Glue on fins with the grain parallel to the body tube...makes it easier to reglue back on after landing and there's less damage to the bt.

Don't need to put in dog barf or wadding in lp rockets...they come down much quicker saving you a long walk.

If you get a nagging feeling that you forgot something or something feels wrong at the pads, just ignore it. YOLO!

Assume that all Estes kits are safe/good to fly as designed...heck, they know what they're doing, right?

*koff* Majestic-three-skywriters-at-Airfest *koff*

Don't plan your purchases throughout the year. All vendors have pretty much the same stock items at similar prices, and sales are purely ornamental.

A rocket motor that provides 1 Newton of thrust can lift 60 pounds of rocket. This is because, as many historical references point out, Issac Newton not only short, but fat as well. He would have weighed approximately 180 lbs, and by the 3:1 minimum thrust to weight ratio, a rocket motor providing 1 Newton of thrust can only safely lift up to 60lbs, 2 Newtons up to 120 lbs, and so on, so forth.

-Tony

Always burn at least 5 igniters before checking to see if you have a fresh motor reload. Especially good bogus tip for TARC teams.
Avoid looking into your motor mount when you glue it in. If the engine block is a half inch from the aft end, you can just peel it out and glue in a new one. Especially good tip for jr. hi. rocketry students.

Use super glue to mount your Aeropack retainer for a higher strength bond than JB Weld.

When using twist and tape wire switch for electronics. . Be sure to tape the wires aft of the wire hole .

Having a few inches of relief and taping flat to the lower airframe presents a more aerodynamic profile

Kenny

Don't worry about double-checking the orientation of that Aeropack retainer. If it only fits one way, there's no chance that you need to sand down the motor tube to make it fit. Even if it's a little loose, soldier on and slap it on with a ton of JB*Weld. You will not regret that decision at all.

Put a laser in your nosecone; in case of a ballistic recovery​, you'll be able to tell exactly where it's going to core sample.

When cutting wood parts with a hobby knife, always hold the straightedge on the *outside* of the part; that way, if you slip, you won't risk damaging the precious extra wood scraps you'll have when you're finished.

(don't ask me how I know this one. :facepalm:)

I have strayed from this thread, but here I am again. :facepalm:

Make the bottom half of the rocket heavier so that it has a low center of gravity for increased stability. And it's harder to knock over, too.

Never go to club launches. They're full of overzealous geeks who can't teach you anything.

When testing e-matches, balance them on your container of black powder so that you don't risk scorching your table.

I want someone to build a rocket out of hot glue. Shock cord and chute excepted. And maybe a lug so it isn't too sticky.

Back