Bogus Tips & Alternate Facts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since launch deflectors are dry and won't burn, dry grass, which is also dry, won't burn either.

If you're in a hurry to launch, just leave out the shear pins.

People liked to be talked to while they are prepping their rockets.

Ah, those trees are far enough away....

Forget safety codes! Just have fun!

The Aerotech Mantis pad is perfectly safe in high winds.

Add weight to keep the expected altitudes under X feet..

The home heating furnace exhaust makes a good 'fume extractor' for a spray paint booth..

Spray paint dries faster on a hot humid day. Also on icy cold days..

Add grease for a tight nose cone..

Fancy chute folding techniques don't open any faster / quicker, with more / less force, to allow more / less drift...

Launching after a very rainy day is perfectly OK..

Launch lungs only need to be aligned for looks, they'll fly fine either way.

Shaking a rattle can is a waste of time. Spray paint will come out if you don't shake it at all and look great.

Don't worry how much your wife complains about the mess if you build on the kitchen table, she'll love you regardless.

Rocket kits are a good investment / retirement plan. Even when built.

The motor letter denotes the altitude expression:
A= Awww, that's not high
B= Bravo, high enough
C= Cawabunga baby!
D= Daaamn!!
E= EEE gad!
F= F*** ing high!
G= GEEEEE wiz!
H= Holley S**
I= Incredible..
J=Jeeezus!
K= kraptastic!
L= loads!
M= Money burn!

Rocket kits are a good investment / retirement plan. Even when built.

The motor letter denotes the altitude expression:
A= Awww, that's not high
B= Bravo, high enough
C= Cawabunga baby!
D= Daaamn!!
E= EEE gad!
F= F*** ing high!
G= GEEEEE wiz!
H= Holley S**
I= Incredible..
J=Jeeezus!
K= kraptastic!
L= loads!
M= Money burn!

You forgot N: No way am I gonna spend that much on one flight again.

And O: OMG! I have to take out a second mortgage!

Electrical Tape makes for good centering rings in a pinch. I actually scored a Sizzler from Ebay that someone had actually tried this with. Fortunately for me, they didn't glue the fins on, nor use the decals, so I was able to build a clean rocket (after replacing the motor tube, and body tube) from my purchase.

"Sure, that launch controller is safe for continuity testing with your flashbulb ignitors."

"That Estes D12 that has been in the trunk of your black car for 5 years will work just fine."

The empty space inside a booster motor should be filled with wadding or dog barf. This protects the front stage from accidentally igniting.

Estes solar starters are one of the most reliable starters ever. They are great for clusters and can even be wired in series! The new clear tip is incredibly effective and one of the most innovative designs in model rocketry.

Excuse me, I have to go rinse my mouth now.

Wrap your rocket motors in aluminium foil, and your head too for good measure, then put them alternatingly in the freezer and under the heat lamp in 30 minute sessions for at least 1 month to make them burn faster.

Use Super Glue/CA for "shear-pins".

Always have at least 1 extra part left over when assembling motors.

Paper parachutes.

Stability is a non-sensical theory, cooked up by leprechauns in La-La Land, just sprinkle fairy dust on your rocket & all is "good"

When a motor won't fit......break glass ...retrieve sledge hammer, and make it fit.

Save your batteries....don't turn on electronics!

To save money, re-use igniters. [same for e-matches]

Always tape your chute burritos closed....so they stay neat looking.

Build your Big Daddy in a stock configuration. That huge ramp on the side of the nosecone's shoulder helps create a memorable flight, and the whistle it makes is COOL!

Last edited:
Vigorously clean paper body tubes with a soaked cloth to remove the slick layer of factory residue.

Centering rings also make good wedding rings.

Titlebond is great for gluing deep inside the rocket as long as you push the parts slowly.

Last edited:
metric & imperial measurements are interchangeable.. Inches, millimeters, Newtons per seconds, lbs per centimeter.. it all works out.. just as long as you have one (metric or imperial) on either side and the other on the opposite to properly balance the equation..

Back