Estes Super Alpha

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boosterdude

Reaction score
Just started my Super Alpha today. The kit is fantastic, the nose cone and laser cut fins are both made from very dense hard balsa. The BT-60 sized Super Alpha will no doubt me popular. It's super easy to build, inexpensive, and a classic looking design.

At this point the motor mount is completed, and the fins are sanded and glued to the BT. I'm in the process of adding the fin fillets. The motor mount isn't glued in yet because I keep thinking what a nice 24mm rocket this would make. Maybe I'll build this one stock and build another on for 24mm. The only thing I'm really changing is using 3/16" launch lugs instead of the supplied 1/8". I just like the stability of the larger diameter launch rod.

Estes is doing a great job with these new kits!!!

Amen, brother.

My LHS has several of them and I aim to make one of them mine. I liked it so well, I printed out the plans to the old Maxi Alpha!

On the Super Alpha, I'd discard the 18 mm mount and go straight away for the 24mm.

Amen, brother.

My LHS has several of them and I aim to make one of them mine. I liked it so well, I printed out the plans to the old Maxi Alpha!

On the Super Alpha, I'd discard the 18 mm mount and go straight away for the 24mm.

I finally got to fly my Maxi Alpha a couple weekends ago - flew it on an E9 and it was a picture perfect flight. Straight boost and nice deploy. I put a nylon chute in it and papered the fins, but it is otherwise a stock build. If I had it to do over, I'd put a baffle where the coupler is. Not enough room to add a one now.

I plan to buy a Super Alpha kit (along with other new Estes kits I have yet to pick up) after I return from NARAM. :)

I just started my Super Alpha build. Pretty straightforward. Mine will have a Semroc baffle (and associated Kevlar shock cord attachment) but will otherwise be built stock. I'm on a Alpha kick lately and already have a I (recent bulk pack version), a II (clone), III (two of 'em), IV and Maxi Alpha 3 in flying shape. I'll order the new Semroc Start as well after Carl and company get back from NARAM as that seems to me to be another family member....

Been waiting for this to come out. BEC, did you buy it at the store or the net?

Been waiting for this to come out. BEC, did you buy it at the store or the net?

I ordered from Tower back in the spring when it first looked like it would come available (as part of a larger order). I received the back-ordered kit last week.

For a local source try either HobbyTown in Tukwila or Rich O'Hara (Bellevue Hobby Center, raohara on here).

Construction is almost complete, just have to glue the motor mount in. The balsa has been sealed with two coats of polyurethane. Next up is fill the grain and prime.
I added the 3/16" lugs that are spaced instead of one lug. I also added a kevlar shockcord attached to the motor mount.

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00210.jpg

I just started my Super Alpha build. Pretty straightforward. Mine will have a Semroc baffle (and associated Kevlar shock cord attachment) but will otherwise be built stock.

I just noticed that the 'chute is an 18 incher. For my usual flying site that's a bit much so I'll use a 12 or 14 incher instead - one more very small mod. I'll also put ports in the BT so that I can use an AltimeterOne aboard.

Amen, brother.

Which hobby shop has them, RC Country? Hobbylinc.com has them for $10. Hard to beat their prices.

Which hobby shop has them, RC Country? Hobbylinc.com has them for $10. Hard to beat their prices.

OK, a regular alpha is $8.69 and a Super Alpha is $9.49 on Hobbylinc's site. A lot more rocket for less than a buck!

It would be nice if the bring out bulk packs of the Super Alpha. That would be a nice rocket for scout builds

Yup. R/C Country Hobbies has them for $14.95...Instant gratification and something in it for Ahhhhhnold, too, sales tax-wise. Probably a wash given the shipping.

Hey Boosterdude,

Can you do a quick check and post a measurement for the length of the BT60 used for the Super Alpha?

I have a "regular" Alpha BT measured at 7.75 inches, and I calculate an upscaled length of 13.0 inches for the BT60 version. I'm curious if Estes went that way or if they changed it for some reason

Yup. R/C Country Hobbies has them for $14.95...Instant gratification and something in it for Ahhhhhnold, too, sales tax-wise. Probably a wash given the shipping.

True, shipping on just the Super Alpha would be $6. But I never order just one thing from them. I order most of my motors from them too, both Estes and Aerotech. Makes it a lot cheaper overall.

Construction is almost complete, just have to glue the motor mount in. The balsa has been sealed with two coats of polyurethane. Next up is fill the grain and prime.
I added the 3/16" lugs that are spaced instead of one lug. I also added a kevlar shockcord attached to the motor mount.

(Images Snipped)

Nice fillet work! Sigh, I need to get back into this hobby full swing!

I just bought my Super Alpha today at the local hobby shop so I guess you can say I've joined the club.

They also had an Interceptor E behind the counter marked down to $40 which was supposedly 20% off the list and three more Executioners at $40 each as well.

So many rockets, so little time.

I just bought my Super Alpha today at the local hobby shop so I guess you can say I've joined the club.

They also had an Interceptor E behind the counter marked down to $40 which was supposedly 20% off the list and three more Executioners at $40 each as well.

So many rockets, so little time.

You'd better get busy, Kit. October is fast approaching!

Boosterdude, which urethane product do you use? Looks great!

I've been experimenting with water-based acrylics (kid-friendly) but I think it causes some warpage.

Last edited:
Boosterdude, which urethane product do you use? Looks great!

I've been experimenting with water-based acrylics (kid-friendly) but I think it causes some warpage.

I use Minwax Polyurethane Glossy,works great for sealing and providing a great base. Water-based will cause warps, so I don't use it.

Finished with the priming, the Super Alpha is in the final coat of white primer waiting for color. Looks great, should turn out good.

Although I'm just getting back in, I put my name on Ehobbies list to let me know when the Super Alpha was in stock and just heard from them the other day. For some reason this rocket really caught my eye and I have to have one too.

My first return build is a Baby Bertha that I'm turning into a "Little Yellow Absorbent Guy" rocket for my two-year old. I finally found all the materials I wanted to use for it (chute material, decals, ect.) and it's now ready to paint. I'll post pics when i'm finished.

There's just something about these bigger, simple rockets like the Super Alpha that I just like. It's proof that companies can turn out a simple design and still make a lot of profit from it.

Kel

I'm ready to prime mine....but it rained all day so it didn't happen. I still am hoping to have it ready for the BEMRC monthly club launch next Saturday.

I up-scaled the Alpha a few months ago, so it is almost an exact replica of the Super Alpha except it is a 24mm bird. You should see her fly on an E28-7T reload!

BTW She has about six flights on her 3 with D15 reloads, 2 with E18 reloads, and 1 with E28 reload.

Seeing the Alpha brings back fond memories.

Andrew

I just got mine from Hobbylinc. I looked at the parts briefly and the one thing I noticed was that the noce cone was a very tight fit in the tube, almost too large to put it in the tube without damaging it. I can bust out the sand paper, no problem but did you guys notice this?

Back