Political signs at a business

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cthulhu poops on green cards. Then he poops on immigration authorities. Then he consumes their souls.

Not to question the Dark Lord's methods, but I would think "don't poop on your food" would be good practice even for entities of unspeakable evil.

...and the other was a major package shipping company. .

If it was postal, thats a violation of the Hatch act, and not taken lightly.

No, it was not at a post office. I know how serious that would be if a government employee got involved with political activity connected to their job and indeed would report that.

And actually the person at the shipping place was not mentioning a specific political candidate, but one of the politically divisive issues of the day, which I had not brought up and had NO interest in playing their stupid game. I was there as a paying customer, not there for a political lecture or argument.

Similar thing at the drug store chain. Not about a specific candidate, but a politically divisive issue with no connection to their company, that I did not bring up, they did (way totally different issues, BTW).

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out how to get a sign, because I don't really know what to do if you would like to display one or three. Seems like everyone has some but me!

Your county political party office should have all the signs you want for candidates. For initiatives and nonpartisan offices, you'll probably have to find their campaign headquarters, which shouldn't be too hard with teh Google.

I do have one comment about politics, I keep asking myself: "is this the best we have to offer?".

My father in-law, who lives several counties south of me and across a state line, likes to come up on visits and get signs of our local candidates with the same last names as ones in his area - and post those signs in his yard. Especially fun if there's a party switch involved.

Running unopposed, can't imagine why.

This one really does dumbfound me though. I would have thought Coroner was a job that needed at least some prerequisite expertise. I hope this is more of an administrative gig, and not "hands on." Too bad they were unopposed though, I would totally attend a Coroner Candidates' debate: "I promise no Zombies on my watch, and all Necromancers will have to be registered in a database. We will build a huge wall around the cemetery..."

All political Signs have been banned by our neighborhood association , due to a 40% increase in crimes, all over Signs, stealing and burning them( yes, starting fire on someones lawn). Have to admit the neighborhood looks nicer.

And PLEASE, please remove all those ugly azz sign after the whole election is over, I still see Ted Cruz signs out there, old and faded....
Beautify America... please...

Running unopposed, can't imagine why.
If someone did run against this person for Coroner, I'm sure they'd provide stiff competition.

To the original point of the thread, private business owners are certainly free to express their political beliefs at their businesses. Anyone who deals with that business certainly has the right to decide if they want to do business with that owner. It gets trickier when you move up to a larger corporation or one of its divisions. Back during the 2000 primary campaign, I was working for an international corporation at a facility in New Hampshire. One of the candidates who didn't make it to nomination that year was invited to speak to our workers. This candidate was not one I was interested in supporting but it was made clear to me that not attending the rally may not bode well for my future with the company. I did go, stood there rather quietly, applauded politely when the person was introduced and got right back to work after it was over. Two years later, 1000 of the 1100 employees were reduced from the company (I made it to the second wave of layoffs). I don't know that going to the rally helped me much at all but it did make me suspicious of many of the rallies I see reported on the news.

And PLEASE, please remove all those ugly azz sign after the whole election is over, I still see Ted Cruz signs out there, old and faded....

Ohio election law requires that candidates remove the signs within 48 hours or so after the election. Failure to do so results in fines for each offense. National elections are harder to police of course since there are so many and people sometimes pick up extras from the campaign and give them to friends, but still, the day after the election you will sometimes see campaign staffers driving around picking up signs. There still are occasionally "leftovers" but not too many.

Up here, it's illegal for political signs to be up more than a week after the election. otherwise, the party gets billed for the clean up!

I do have one comment about politics, I keep asking myself: "is this the best we have to offer?".

People think I'm crazy, but I feel we need to drastically INCREASE the pay for congress and the presidency. All the talk is about stripping benefits and pay. Thats not the way to promote better applicants for a job.

If we want qualified candidates, free from owing anyone anything, we need to pay a level to attract them. It's obvious we're not providing enough incentive.

I'm pretty sure that it has nothing (much) to do with the money. There is still enough prestige attached to the job that people leaving office usually land pretty sweet, high income jobs. The problem is that politics has become so ugly that most sane people wouldn't want the job no matter how much it paid. Both Colin Powell and Dr. Condoleezza Rice were heavily encouraged to run for public office but even though they would have been stellar, having seen politics from the inside, both of them essentially told the powers that be, "Hell no." They had no desire to put themselves, and their families, through that sort of meat grinder.

I don't blame them one bit.

Your county political party office should have all the signs you want for candidates. For initiatives and nonpartisan offices, you'll probably have to find their campaign headquarters, which shouldn't be too hard with teh Google.

That's good to know, I always that the corrugated plastic would make interesting building or jig material...would be nice to put those damn things to good use for once!

I'm pretty sure that it has nothing (much) to do with the money. There is still enough prestige attached to the job that people leaving office usually land pretty sweet, high income jobs. The problem is that politics has become so ugly that most sane people wouldn't want the job no matter how much it paid. Both Colin Powell and Dr. Condoleezza Rice were heavily encouraged to run for public office but even though they would have been stellar, having seen politics from the inside, both of them essentially told the powers that be, "Hell no." They had no desire to put themselves, and their families, through that sort of meat grinder.

I don't blame them one bit.

I agree- I think anyone who WANTS to be a politician should be eliminated from the race immediately...it clearly is a sign of deep and troubling mental illness. This happened recently in Norway, made me chuckle.

On the bright side, two weeks from today it will be over with...

Sadly I really don't think that's going to be true. No matter which way this one goes I suspect it's going to be dragged out for a LOOONG time, like probably until the next election? :p

I should add, my favorite was a bumper sticker for Giant Meteor 2016, Just End It Already. It even has a twitter account.

6pnYQUv.jpg

Last edited:
People think I'm crazy, but I feel we need to drastically INCREASE the pay for congress and the presidency. All the talk is about stripping benefits and pay. Thats not the way to promote better applicants for a job.

If we want qualified candidates, free from owing anyone anything, we need to pay a level to attract them. It's obvious we're not providing enough incentive.

You're not the only one who thinks this way. We are in violent agreement that paying our national leaders more handsomely would attract more qualified candidates, as well as make them more accountable to their constituents and less so to lobbyists. Of course, we'd need to concurrently pass a major reform restricting lobbying activity.

James

Giant Meteor...

Hillary...

Trump...

At this point...

What difference...

Does it make...:facepalm:

Oh, is this horse dead? *gets whip, baseball bat, shovels and rakes and implements of destruction*

I think I'm with the general sentiment here: a business espousing political statements is, for me, probably not productive -- if they are politically aligned with my beliefs, it's not like I'm going to say "Well, I'll buy all my screwdrivers there!" ...but if they have signs up espousing a position that is incompatible with my beliefs, I might say "Wow, I can't in good conscience shop there".

The exception to the former part: Not quite politics, but if a business publicly supports an initiative that I support - for example, if a business says something like* "This month, 25 cents from every cup of coffee we sell will go to a suicide prevention hotline". Yeah, I'll actually go out of my way to buy cups of coffee there because that's a really important cause.

Does anybody else do this, though? "Huh. Well, I hadn't really looked into the local race for county commissioner, but if someone has signs up for [Candidate A that I don't like] and [Candidate B that I don't like], and they support Jerkface McStinky for County Commissioner, I'm probably going to go with the other candidate"

*-Took me a second to come up with a cause that I am pretty sure wouldn't be seen as partisan. Suicide sucks. If you're near that point, reach out to someone. Anyone. Talk. There is hope.

Back in 1967, these words didn't make sense to me. But now they do.

[video=youtube;9ZKB-ZQTkO8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZKB-ZQTkO8[/video]

Back