Rocket car on J motor reaches 626 mph

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pinewood Derby, crazy edition. :)

Pretty cool though. Was it on a rail or something to keep it on the ground?

Looks like a ton of blocks piled up behind the car, with cable stretched to other end.

You can see sparks seem to bounce off cable under thrust, in slo-mo version.

That's pretty cool.....I've been thinking about getting a couple Blurz cars to setup in the parking lot outside our clubhouse. Just a fun thing to do after meetings. Might even bring in some new interest to Rocketry.

But that J car...wow....really gives a point of reference to "took off like a rocket"...

awesome, kind of surprised it stayed subsonic but there must be plenty more drag than on our rockets

That was awesome. I have read about the old school HPR rocket cars but had never seen one in action.

We think the car went Mach 1 last time, and the audio has been checked by experts and they agree that's it went through Mach.

See and listen to the video here

https://youtu.be/akKKMTJQjYc

Listen a few times and you will hear a gunshot sound at the start which people and audio experts are saying is the sound barrier being broken.

We think the car yesterday hit something on the track which caused it to roll onto its roof, causing some damage.

This probably effected its top speed.

The other videos and data collected is still being looked at.

Lastly a new car is being built and will be run early in the new year, with the aim to break 1,000 mph

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1477417748.399420.jpg

Here is the car before it's first run a few months ago.

Last edited:
Very cool! Any details on the finish line / braking system?

Shout out from the 1995-1996 Nevada Rocketcar Racing Association (ret.)

Apparently, but it must not have caught on. There was a company that sold kits (parts?) called Hell on Wheels. It was run by the guy behind Extreme Rocketry magazine.

My son and I throw you Four THUMBS UP! That's so cool! Sure beats the estes rocket cars we have in the basement from many years ago!!!!

The car uses a set of parachutes and lengths of foam pipe lagging fixed around the guide wire to slow the car.

Dang that is awesome, how about next time slapping in a Vmax. Man that thing will disappear on one of those lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't think you can get a vmax in pro 38 6GXL 😀 or at least not in the U.K.

Apparently, but it must not have caught on. There was a company that sold kits (parts?) called Hell on Wheels. It was run by the guy behind Extreme Rocketry magazine.

I remember Hell on Wheels, but had no idea Brent McNeely was behind it. That must have been, what, 1997-98?

Maybe a little after as I saw a report in HPR mag and I did not get it until '99 or 2000.

Wow, that brings back memories. I recall some ads in HPR many years ago.

Back