Estes V-2 in White Sands demo scheme...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Duffy

Reaction score
I just finished up a project that has been brewing in my noggin for several years, and thought I'd share here. The White Sands "gate guard" scheme has always appealed to me, and a flying version of the livery seemed inevitable. This particular V-2 was a damaged example used by the PR team at White Sands to promote their efforts there, and was painted to provide a general description of the rocket and capabilities. This rocket was also pressed into service as a facilities verification vehicle for Operation Sandy, an attempt to fly a V-2 from the deck of the USS Midway. This very rocket has since been restored at the Kansas Cosmosphere to represent the yellow and black scheme of the first successful White Sands flight and is on display at the museum there today. Here is what it looked like back in the '50s:

ws18l.jpg
V_2_almost_upright.jpg
sandy_on_deck.jpg

Note that the "GERMAN V-2 ROCKET" markings are not the same on each side, as one version has a red drop shadow that the other lacks.

I began by cutting down the fins on the Estes V-2 kit to an accurate scale profile, and the chain drive cover details were laser cut from 3/32" thick basswood and glued into place. Other that that the kit is stock. Finishing was done with Tamiya Pure White spray, and the roll pattern was airbrushed using Tamiya Semi-Gloss Black. The decals were taken from the 1/24 scale static V-2 kit that I offer (www.spacemonkeymodels.com). The Estes kit is scaled at 1/25, so the difference in size is negligible. Here's the finished result:

IMG_2089.jpg
IMG_2090.jpg

I'll add a bit more clay to the nose to compensate for the loss of fin area, and first flight will take place at next month's Austin Area Rocketry Group launch.

James

That looks fantastic, I don't think I've seen that one modeled before.

Great work and a beautiful bird. I haven't seen that one modeled either.

I did mine with the yellow/black roll pattern.....used it for NARTREK Silver. (Still need a glider flight)

I have another in the build pile....was going to do the cameo pattern.....but this sure would look nice on horizontal display!

Very nice.

Regarding your remark though about the red drop shadow; Images 1 and 2, appear to be the same side but perhaps from different periods in the life of this air vehicle. One has the drop shadow, the other does not. Image 3 shows the opposing side with no drop shadow apparent.

Back