My Cosmic Interceptor Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Progressing...

IMAG1006_zpsu0aeuupx.jpg

IMAG1007_zpsv1zqk8gf.jpg

Indeed you have a good choice of hard one's very difficult
to pick,you'll have no problem's of keeping you're Interceptor hard & unbreakabil. To tell you the truth, i do and
have an Interceptor myself, however i can't send any photo's,
of any i've tried, maybe because
i'm an aussie using a mobile,but it's great being in the part of the
forum. Ony today i have completion on a major missile,the
aim54 Phoenix from scratch,i happened to get the cone in the body today,took some sanding.
Don't know if you're interested but
the body is 3 mikkie pubes over the cone. Hope to hear from you soon.Good luck don't forget to put
a condom over 'THE DARK ANGEL'. Very kind regards to you&?.

The clear went on a couple days ago (Wet Look, Testors), and waiting a couple days before polishing. Everything went well, no hiccups, so hopefully a finished product to come soon.

Polishing;

Starting with 1000 grit, we'll go to 3200, 4000, 6000, 8000, then 12000. After which we'll use a finishing polish before a final wax.

In the following images you will see the process starting with 1000 grit in order to smooth out the surface to insure a glass top uniform finish.

Our tools:

In this next image you will see that during the 1000 grit process there are low areas that still need polished, including the edges of the decals, so that once they are sanded smooth and the finish is polished out you will never see the edges, and the decals will look painted on.

The arrows were added post production to show areas that still need sanded and blended.

In this next image you will see the proper surface polishing, with the orange peel and edges of decals blended smooth.

Last edited:
Now that's going the extra mile to produce an outstanding finish!

I was looking for a few things in a closet yesterday and found a Cosmic Interceptor kit that I had forgotten I purchased several months ago. Now I'm challenged to produce a model that can stand up to your professional work. Thanks for the motivation :wink:.

Now that's going the extra mile to produce an outstanding finish!

I was looking for a few things in a closet yesterday and found a Cosmic Interceptor kit that I had forgotten I purchased several months ago. Now I'm challenged to produce a model that can stand up to your professional work. Thanks for the motivation :wink:.

Absolutely, would enjoy following along with you on it, be sure to document your build...

none of the pics are loading...:confused2:

I used Photobucket to embed the other image in the thread, and it looks like they are down for repairs. I am assuming that is the reason they are not showing up, so hopefully when they are back up and running the images will reappear. Subsequintly I found Flickr, and it seems to be better anyway!

PHOTOBUCKET WEBSIGHT

Getting real close now, I finished up the 12000 grit this evening, and wow, what a difference polishing makes. At about 8000 grit the finish really started to turn into a mirror! I highly suggest everyone try this at least once on their projects, the finish looks like that which is on a guitar. I mean it literally made the finish look four times thicker and like a sheet of glass, this thing looks amazing, I can't wait to finish up and get some pics online for ya.

Yes, I've been polishing for hours and hours, and it certainly takes some perseverance, but wait till you see the results.

Still have one more Novus2 polish, then a wax. Oh, and finally assembly...lol

Love the detail-level work. I'm maidening my second CI this coming weekend. Hoping that it's a good flier!

Well, she'll look better outside in the sun, but since it's raining here we'll do our best indoors.

Ooopsss.... I didn't have the tail set all the way, now it's right! My bad... ;)

Wow! Beautiful work! I'd be really afraid to fly something like this, but WOW!

If you don't mind me asking, did you completely rivet before decalling, or did you do some rivetting afterwards?
What kind of clearcoat did you use?

Wow! Beautiful work! I'd be really afraid to fly something like this, but WOW!

If you don't mind me asking, did you completely rivet before decalling, or did you do some rivetting afterwards?
What kind of clearcoat did you use?

Rivets before decals, and clear... I used Testors Wet Look. When I want a deep clear coat shine that's my go too, it's like looking at the surface of a guitar.

Thanks for the recognition...

Great going far to good to send up,this bird is well and
truely a non naked rocket.;)

Back