FlisKits MX024 Mighty Saturn V (world's smallest)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenP

Reaction score
My first attempt at a MicroMAXX rocket, the Mighty Saturn V from FlisKits. Pretty straightforward build. For the main body decal, I painted the tube white and applied that decal without cutting out the slots for the fairings. I wrapped that decal around the entire body tube in one piece. I then glued the farings right on top of the decal, then the fins. Those paper parts I colored with a black Sharpie and a metallic silver Sharpie. That was pretty much the only deviation from the instructions in the build sequence. Fun little build. I have one of the MMX starter sets with the plastic Shuttle Orbiter and Saturn V, that I have heard don't really fly that well, I have not launched any of them yet. Waiting for some good weather, might be a while.

DSC_6756.jpg

I was thinking that instead of the black cone, it could have been colored to look like the rocket plume/smoke kind of like these cardstock display stands I made.
DSC_6365.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Glen....your Saturn V looks great!! well done!!

My first attempt at a MicroMAXX rocket, the Mighty Saturn V from FlisKits. Pretty straightforward build. For the main body decal, I painted the tube white and applied that decal without cutting out the slots for the fairings. I wrapped that decal around the entire body tube in one piece. I then glued the farings right on top of the decal, then the fins. Those paper parts I colored with a black Sharpie and a metallic silver Sharpie. That was pretty much the only deviation from the instructions in the build sequence. Fun little build. I have one of the MMX starter sets with the plastic Shuttle Orbiter and Saturn V, that I have heard don't really fly that well, I have not launched any of them yet. Waiting for some good weather, might be a while.

View attachment 303541

I was thinking that instead of the black cone, it could have been colored to look like the rocket plume/smoke kind of like these cardstock display stands I made.
View attachment 303542

Thanks! This is about the smallest fin I have ever worked with. Tweezers definitely help. You don't want to sneeze when you are working on this one.

I have my eye on a few other FlisKits now, these are pretty cool.

Thanks! This is about the smallest fin I have ever worked with. Tweezers definitely help. You don't want to sneeze when you are working on this one.

I have my eye on a few other FlisKits now, these are pretty cool.

Check out their MMX Honest John. It flies great. But...if you paint it the olive drab paint scheme, make sure you add a colorful streamer so you can find it on the grass.

the Flis 1b is really a cool little kit!

QUOTE=GlenP;1629384]Thanks! This is about the smallest fin I have ever worked with. Tweezers definitely help. You don't want to sneeze when you are working on this one.

I have my eye on a few other FlisKits now, these are pretty cool.[/QUOTE]

Great job on the build! This is one of the few Saturn kits that will keep the escape tower on too :)

Since you have the Saturn V from the Quest set, you should launch them both so you can see how they compare.

Jim

Thanks very much, this is my first build of a FlisKit, really a great well thought-out kit. I am building my wish list of others for the winter building season. I am thinking my next FlisKit will be one of the two-stage MMX kits.

Good idea to compare flights of the two MMX Saturn Vs, the Quest one is slightly taller and has bigger than scale fins, it weighs in at around 0.2 oz empty (no engine/wadding), twice what the FlisKits one weighs.

Back