EggTimer Review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrnAgainRoc

Reaction score
So, after many years away I returned back to this hobby with an open mind and expecting much of it to be the same as it was then... Boy was I wrong.. One of the very first things I started researching was electronics and motors to see just how far the hobby had come in such a long time. After much time browsing the forums and asking questions, I made my way over to Egg Timer to look at the hardware. Off the bat, the first thing you can't fail to notice is the price. The functionality that the Egg Timer Quantum brings to the table for $40 is unreal. Yes, there's excitement in the way I'm typing this, as I recall most basic of altimeters in the early 2000's costing upwards of $100-$500 with the same or even less functionality. I was an abuser to my MW RRc2, with hundreds of flights logged with it.

The catch is the "user responsible for assembly". For most of us, that's not a deal breaker and quite frankly its a challenge lol. Who doesn't want to learn how to solder SMD?! It's one thing to design rocket motors and rockets themselves, but to be able to sit at a table for hours, assembling a puzzle with finesse and attention to detail is awesome. I grew up with a dad whom would stop at radio shack (When they were really Radio Shacks) and pick up a solder project for me once and a while. This not only became a test to myself but it brought back vivid memories of my father sitting at a table telling me how to solder (Lost him almost 10 years ago to heart failure at the age of 59).

The project went off without issues, I completed it within the 3-4 hour mark. I love this new style of rocketry that wasn't readily around when I first got into the hobby. It allows you to utilize other skills that may not be necessary with the other pre-built electronic options on the market. I've decided that I plan to purchase one of everything from Egg Timer just so that I can build the projects. I wont have a need for the hardware off the bat, but just being able to sit and listen to some music and read and follow some VERY NICELY laid out instructions, I'll be able to take a moment and remember the good times. Thanks for a great product. I look forward to receiving the next.

Dallas Pass

I just built a couple of Quarks the other evening, quick and easy, the Eggfinder TRS not so easy but doable. Cris designs and sells a great product, at a fair price.

Dallas- you can actually make some motor money soldering these things together! Some guys won't even try. Me- my Dad (r.i.p.) built every TV we had for years. He'd come back and kick my ass for not doing my own! Welcome back. Straight smoke and good chutes!

I second your review. I just finished a TRS and an LCD. Looking forward to flying them soon.

7 EggFinders and the v2 is easier to build. Three TRS's which is a two evening kit at least and two LCD's, four Quantums and some switches.. Quarks are pretty easy. Just need good light, head magnification, small angled tweezers (pickups) and the smallest tip 15 watt soldering pencil. Yeah, folks invest in $85.00 soldering stations but I did all my stuff with a cheap pencil in a pyrex square cake pan to help contain the flipped parts.
Either that or have someone else build it. Kurt

I have built a bunch of Eggfinders with good results, but the TRS was a challenge! After my failed attempt, I let Conner build one for me. I'm not giving up though, I have another one that I will put together soon.

I have built a bunch of Eggfinders with good results, but the TRS was a challenge! After my failed attempt, I let Conner build one for me. I'm not giving up though, I have another one that I will put together soon.

Hang it there. I've whacked two EggFinders, one remote switch v1 with the remote and Quantum. The two EggFinders, one fell of the window sill during testing and busted the GPS antenna. I fixed it with an outboard Ublox and the second I whacked and
restored with an outboard GPS. Rf remote switch v1 I whacked it using it to test an ematch charge. Never worked after that after Cris sent me a new voltage regulator. The receiver was probably dorked too but gave up since it was so inexpensive to
start with. I have several of the Rf switches and they've never crapped out. The one Quantum I swallowed, the voltage regulator goes to "high heat" iron mode and doesn't work. I suspect I got solder under the WiFi chip and whacked it that way.
It was a Junk box donation. I had a buzzer malfunction on a Quark and my junkbox saved the day. Kurt

Good job!

Did you try the test fire yet?

Kenny

Yep! Works as planned! I ordered an assortment of igniters to see which work best. It was a blast putting it together.

I look forward to getting the Egg Finder and other kits from them.

Latest posts

Back