NARAM 59

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noticed that on the NAR site when I looked up NSL 2017.

Michigan is too far for me, for next year. Am interested to see what the NAR does differently, if anything than current practice, to make it a week long Rocketry Festival with a NARAM attached.

Being a sport flyer and not a contest flyer, the NSL is usually a better fit for me, since I usually do not have a whole week plus travel time to devote to a rocket event.

I should be at NARAM next year, for at least a few of the days. My in laws have their summer cabin about 45 min away from Muskegon, so I have a built in place to stay.

Probably won't be in any contests, unless I get really bored :)

I've never been too fond of that site seeing that it's a sewage treatment facility. Don't like the idea of walking around in fields where raw sewage is being spread. I don't mean any disrespect to the organizers but would prefer that the only thing I pick up from that field is a rocket.

I've never been too fond of that site seeing that it's a sewage treatment facility. Don't like the idea of walking around in fields where raw sewage is being spread. I don't mean any disrespect to the organizers but would prefer that the only thing I pick up from that field is a rocket.

I attended NARAM-54 which was flown at the same location.

There was no raw sewage on the flying field.
There were depressions/holes/pools which were used to hold sewage years ago but it has all dried out and weeds are growing all around the place.
Now, the 'big icky' is on one side of the flying site and you do not want to go in there!

I too was at NARAM 54 and remember the 'irrigation' towers.

A Google Map view of the area (2016) shows obvious areas of discoloration and pooling of liquids in the area where the launches took place last time. The Muskegon Wastewater Facility website says, "The water is then used to irrigate 5,100 acres of crop land as the final treatment. Soil absorbs pollutants, viruses & mechanically strain suspended solids. Bacteria within the soil consume organic matter while the roots take up nutrients."

It would be interesting to know the actual status of the ground that they're planning to use considering that the Facility definitely reports putting viruses and suspended solids onto the soil as the last step in the treatment process.

Looks like I will make 2 NARAMS in a row. Just a couple hours up the road from me.

I too was at NARAM 54 and remember the 'irrigation' towers.

A Google Map view of the area (2016) shows obvious areas of discoloration and pooling of liquids in the area where the launches took place last time. The Muskegon Wastewater Facility website says, "The water is then used to irrigate 5,100 acres of crop land as the final treatment. Soil absorbs pollutants, viruses & mechanically strain suspended solids. Bacteria within the soil consume organic matter while the roots take up nutrients."

It would be interesting to know the actual status of the ground that they're planning to use considering that the Facility definitely reports putting viruses and suspended solids onto the soil as the last step in the treatment process.

I'm the secretary of SMASH/MMAR, so I fly there a lot. I've never gotten sick there, even pulling a rocket out of a drainage ditch. Just make sure you wash your hands before you eat and don't go swimming and you'll be fine.

I'm the secretary of SMASH/MMAR, so I fly there a lot. I've never gotten sick there, even pulling a rocket out of a drainage ditch. Just make sure you wash your hands before you eat and don't go swimming and you'll be fine.

Good advice that I follow for every launch I attend, no matter where it is located...;)

Our new DARS site is great....but there is a lot of cow by-product around that varies from zero minutes old to many weeks petrified.

Last edited:
Registration is not up yet. Hopefully it will be soon so I can finalize my budgeting.

kj

Registration has been open for a few days now. Sign up!

Trying to identify motor vendors attending Naram. Specifically, vendors licensed to ship motors. Anyone?

Trying to identify motor vendors attending Naram. Specifically, vendors licensed to ship motors. Anyone?

I second this, anyone know what vendors will be there? Gonna make a motor order soon and want to see if I can just avoid the hazmat instead.

Thanks,

Nevermind, i'm bad, found it on the Naram website

MERLIN MISSILE SOLUTIONS - https://www.merlinmissiles.com/

Impulse Buys - https://www.impulse-buys.com/

eRockets - https://www.erockets.biz/

That's what's listed so far

Last edited:
REGISTERED! :D Bringing some "Body Bags" (Large Trash Bags) just in case of the revenge of the Big Icky...Can't be smelling up the inside of the Hellcat! :eek:

I just heard that the 25k ft waiver was approved for the sport launch weekend!

I just heard that the 25k ft waiver was approved for the sport launch weekend!

I knew we were going for a 25k waiver and had the approvals and were just waiting on D.C., last I heard it was all the time we launch. I'll talk with Rob to confirm.

OK, from the horse's mouth::)
I've been told, over the phone, by the FAA, that we have a 25K waiver for Saturday, the 29th, and Sunday the 30th, at NARAM (the sports launch days and Canam Cup/ FAI flyoff events). The higher ceiling is ONLY for those 2 days, and the rest of NARAM, the 15K AGL waiver will apply.

However, until someone actually emails me the approval forms, I'm not advertising it on the NARAM website, just in case it gets blown up in the paperwork phase.

For those of you thinking "Well, there's no time left to prep that big a flight anyway!" I know, the FAA sat on it a LONG time. But it seemed worth pushing for anyway because once I get the site cleared the first time, it should be easier to get it again for future events, hopefully!

Anyway, that's the deal. Online Registration for NARAM closes at the end of the day on Tuesday, the 25th. After that, it's register-and-pay-at-the-field, and I don't know if we'll be able to take credit cards, so it may be cash or checks only. If you're coming, register now!!

Rob Dickinson

Good day at the sport range, well good for most.

LVL 3 attempt was cut short for someone when they had a forward closure failure resulting in a spinning tube of fire. Followed shortly by a field fire that took 5 min to put out.

A few other small fires from various motors. None caused by sparky motors though.

Today seems to be the day of ignitors failing to light motors. Lots of recycles.

I had 3 flights on my Minie Magg various Loki H motors. All good except one flight had a delayed ejection and when the charge blew it snapped the nose cone attachment point off. Only came in from a few hundred feet and hit empty land, rest of the rocket came down under chute just fine.

Night launch tonight but I have already retired to the hotel so no updates on that from me.

More to come tomorrow, going to try my hand an launching my 2.6 Tomach on H-K tomorrow. Forgot 2 nuts today to secure the eBay bulkheads...had to stop at Lowe's to get more yay

It was bright and sunny. Nobody has made it into the lake yet. But the ditches have claimed a few.

And it was perfect, along with my flight, here's the vid with the info.
[video=youtube;mHtauaBDmWA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHtauaBDmWA[/video]

Back