My Z3 Was Totaled In A Car Wreck.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A woman had pulled in front of me and cut me off wiping out the left front corner. No one got hurt with the exception of a stiff back. I already have arthritis between L4 and L5 so I feel it's just been aggravated a bit. I'm not interested in looking for additional money outside of what the insurance will pay me for the loss of the car. I will miss that little skateboard. Had it for about fifteen years and it ran like a top. A 1998 model with 100,850 miles on it. The care and attention did pay off throughout the years in countless compliments from folks when they realized how old it was.
Once the insurance cuts me a check for the loss I'll be looking for another one. I have found one on the internet. A silver 98' in Redmond so once I actually have the funds in my account I'll go and check it out. It's a good two hour drive yet with less than a handful for sale in Wa. state, it's the only one I liked the looks of. Time will tell.

good to hear you weren't badly injured. I wonder if there is any value in looking in the Vancouver BC area? Your dollar goes pretty far here. Our prices tend to be higher on used cars though. I know a guy that used to routinely buy cars and bring them back here. Coming this way, there is a pretty clear process for importing. I'm not sure if it is worth it going the other way. Just a thought though. Here's a local sales site. https://www.autotrader.ca/cars/bmw/z3/bc/

Good luck!

Damn, that sucks dude. I was recently sideswiped by a hit and run driver. That is still being investigated by Highway Patrol here.

As the fellow owner of a two door land based rocket ship, I feel your pain. Especially the older ones, it is tough to find that level of responsiveness and fun as vehicle weights balloon out of control.

I was never a huge Miata fan, but one cannot argue the awesomeness its success ushered in for competition. It is sad and too bad that seems to be fading. If I replace my car, at this point, I honestly have no idea what I would want.

Glad you are safe!

As the fellow owner of a two door land based rocket ship, I feel your pain. Especially the older ones, it is tough to find that level of responsiveness and fun as vehicle weights balloon out of control.

I was never a huge Miata fan, but one cannot argue the awesomeness its success ushered in for competition. It is sad and too bad that seems to be fading. If I replace my car, at this point, I honestly have no idea what I would want.

Glad you are safe!

Cayman. You want a Cayman. I have a 911, and I want a Cayman. Just not the brand new version with the turbo 4.

Cayman. You want a Cayman. I have a 911, and I want a Cayman. Just not the brand new version with the turbo 4.

Hah, you read my mind. Well, one part of my mind. The other part keeps telling me that the Cayman simply does not exist in order to prevent the expenditure.

Ahhhhh, I guess you are a lucky one who also has a dedicated rocket hauler? I suspect one can't fit many rockets or "stuff" in a Z3.

If you don't have a truck, ditch the Z3 and get a nice large SUV. If you have the means to have both, that's great 'cause the fuel economy on the Z3
is probably better than a truck or SUV. Drive the 3 for fun and economy and the rocket hauler to launches. Kurt

Ahhhhh, I guess you are a lucky one who also has a dedicated rocket hauler? I suspect one can't fit many rockets or "stuff" in a Z3.

If you don't have a truck, ditch the Z3 and get a nice large SUV. If you have the means to have both, that's great 'cause the fuel economy on the Z3
is probably better than a truck or SUV. Drive the 3 for fun and economy and the rocket hauler to launches. Kurt

I've always managed to take what equipment I needed in the Z3. I used to be able to pile my 1/9th scale B-17G in the Z3. The two outer wing panels and my field box and fuel would fit in the trunk while the fuse and center wing section would stick out of the passenger side. It was doable along with bungee cords strategically wrapped around the fuse and center wing section. Got attention at the stop lights. I've never owned anything outside of a two door car and I don't see that changing anytime soon. :smile:

Glad you are okay. Like the Spanish Inquisition, nobody expects to be in a car wreck. But it is always a blessing to walk away unhurt.

The only thing that really matters is your not hurt...

Now, that said,, lol..
You already lived with a late 90's Z3...
Severely cool,, you loved it...
Why not try something different....
There are so many small great handling cars to choose from...
For me,, new,, novel ( too me ),, different,, is all important...

I'd like to get in on a very light hearted list of options......

If you liked that German / European thang--- Audi S4---- Beast.....

Teddy

I hear you, that era was so NICE. I've had an e12, e34 and e39 530i, all manuals. The e39 was just about perfect and then it was totaled by someone that ran a red light and T-boned me. I got a 550i auto and had nothing but problems. I now have a manual 2016 Honda Accord Sport. :)

The answer is ALWAYS Miata! Glad you are okay...cars are meant to be replaced.

--2016 Mazda MX5 Miata Club
--2012 Nissan 370Z

I loved my Z3

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476897688.999827.jpg

I upgraded to a JCW Mini

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476897728.122986.jpg

The Mini was an awesome car to drive but in three years time I spent $12,000 in maintenance, thankfully I had a warranty.

If I were in your shoes I would be looking for an M Roadster, not cheap but they fix all the quirky things including being under powered that the Z3 lacked.

Last edited:
Sure hope you get the money you're hoping to out of the wrecked Z3. Did you have classic car insurance on it? Only ask because I've had trouble with insurance companies paying "replacement" value on cars in the past.

Now I have Hagerty's classic car insurance on my 1990 Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet. Bought it for $9500 with 61,000 on it in 2014, Hagerty's replacement value was $18,600 for 2014-March 2015, now it is $24,800.
1 New Mexico.jpg 2-Grand Canyon.JPG

Mike

944 Cab, now that's a rare one. I'm hoping P will come out with their much rumored Panamera coupe, aka 21st century 928 GT car. Think I'd still rather trade the 996 on a Cayman though.

I can't believe they make these with Auto Trans. Sporties should ALWAYS have a 5 or 6 speed trans.
But that's just me. Me and auto trans don't get along. I've never gotten more than 20k miles on one.
And auto's are no fun to drive IMO.

My Z3 was an automatic and I never had a problem in the 46,850 miles I owned it. Had one in my 73' Barracuda with no problems as well as in my 70' Gran Coup Cuda of which I actually rebuilt myself for racing. Fun stuff.

Wow,, what a smokin ride...
My daughter would freak for the red two tone interior...
You must be kidding with the price...
I'd have guessed that would be much higher...
That seems a fantastic deal to me...
This is the reason I generally don't believe in buying "new"...
Great buy man,,, enjoy it,, be safe...

Teddy

Wow,, what a smokin ride...
My daughter would freak for the red two tone interior...
You must be kidding with the price...
I'd have guessed that would be much higher...
That seems a fantastic deal to me...
This is the reason I generally don't believe in buying "new"...
Great buy man,,, enjoy it,, be safe...

Teddy

I want to thank you for your kind words. Is that "be safe" under 100?

That thing ain't even breathin heavy yet at 100...
Speed is extremely relative....
There are places where 100 seems super fast,,,
and places and circumstances where 100 seems barely a cruise....

Be safe and enjoy that ride either way,, lol...

Teddy

Congratulations on the ride Steven.
I would think a manual trany would be more fun to drive thou.
Enjoy!

I have estimated that only 20% of these Z4s come with manual transmissions. Couple that to the fact that this one (in my opinion) is a bit of a standout especially with the interior making it difficult to pass up. It does have paddle shifters if I want to use that option or just put it in "manual" and shift through the gears at will. In any case thank you Woody. :)

Back