Recent Estes Kits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpJet

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone out there has purchased or better still flown any of the new Estes kits including the Smaller Nike Smoke, Expedition and Twin Factor.

John Boren

The Expedition is on my short list to acquire but I'm not allowed any new kits for a while.

I have flown my Nike Smoke several times, it's an excellent performer. It was a quick and enjoyable build as well.
The Twin Factor, Expedition and Saturn V are on my list of "must haves". I'm waiting for the Nike Apache too.
I am really liking the new kits that have been being released lately.

Last edited:
I've purchased the Nike Smoke and Twin Factor. Both are near the top of the build pile for the winter.

Love my little Smoke! I tried ordering the new Nike Apache when I placed my clearance order yesterday, but it's not available yet.

Two Smokes.jpg

Smoke on the chair.jpg

Smoke on the pad.jpg

Smokes and Patriots.jpg

I've got smaller Nike(which I plan to build stock, 18mm) and a 'HoJo' waiting in the build pile.
Rex

I have the Smaller Nike Smoke that I built with a 24mm motor Mount. going to get that up this weekend. I did add weight to the nose cone as well.

I bought the smaller Nike Smoke when it came out, even though I scratch built one in that size late last year before you announced it. Mine uses a 24mm mount and a balsa cone, so it needed a bit of weight to balance, but it flies nice. I imagine I'll built the kit version if/when the scratcher is lost.

Expedition is built and will fly this weekend. Twin Factor just arrived but Halloween decorating may keep me from getting it built in time. Keep these great innovative kits coming, John.

I have flown my Nike Smoke several times, it's an excellent performer. It was a quick and enjoyable build as well.
The Twin Factor, Expedition and Saturn V are on my list of "must haves". I'm waiting for the Nike Apache too.
I am really liking the new kits that have been being released lately.

Hi Mike and Ryan,

Did you guys build your Smoke stock or with a 24mm motor mount? I'm doing a 24mm mount in mine, but I'm curious as to what others have done.

Thanks!

Nike Smoke in the build pile, expedition and nike apache in queue for order once the Nike Apache comes out. Finding time to build is a completely different story.

Hi Mike and Ryan,

Did you guys build your Smoke stock or with a 24mm motor mount? I'm doing a 24mm mount in mine, but I'm curious as to what others have done.

Thanks!

I built mine totally stock except for papering the fins after I'd sanded the airfoil. It flies great on C 6-5s. I may try a 18mm composite in it this weekend.

Not yet, but my spending is limited right now. The HoJo and Smoke are on a very short list. I'm working on building every single HoJo you guys ever made. Currently I'm searching for the cold powered one. No luck yet.

I built mine totally stock except for papering the fins after I'd sanded the airfoil. It flies great on C 6-5s. I may try a 18mm composite in it this weekend.

Update..... I flew the Nike Smoke on an AT D 10-5 Saturday at the CMASS launch. I am happy to report that the flight went great. I didn't add any nose weight, but would suggest a small amount if you plan to use 18mm composites.

Saturday's launch was windyier than I like, 10-15mph. Launched the Expedition on a D12 and it flew great. Arced over and ejected just after apogee. Wanted to try it on an AP E15 but we had a lot of rockets going into the corn at the edge of the field.

Saturday's launch was windyier than I like, 10-15mph. Launched the Expedition on a D12 and it flew great. Arced over and ejected just after apogee. Wanted to try it on an AP E15 but we had a lot of rockets going into the corn at the edge of the field.

I managed to save up enough change to get the Expedition at HL woth a 40% coupon. It will have to wait for the my Deuce to get out of the paint shop and for the Tres that I just started to get to prime. I'm thinking of enlarging the Tres mount to make this a 4 motor cluster. I'll reduce the pieces for the nozzle and make 3 more for 18mm motors.

This thing looks nice in the bag, lots of tubes and that big nose cone calling me!

Built and flew the small Nike Smoke. She flew great on a B6-4 and even more impressive on a C6-5. 8 sheets of wadding wasn't enough to prevent nuking the parachute and the landing resulted in two snapped off fins. It's fixed and ready to go again.
I also got the Star Orbiter and had a terrific flight on an E16-6 with no issues.
I highly recommend both kits.

Great first post and welcome to the forum.

I'm a little concerned with my small Smoke's fins....after sanding the proper shape into them, the trailing edges are a bit thin. I used several coats of Aerogloss, primer and color, but that sharp edge is still somewhat delicate. I built it to display next to my PSII Smoke rather than fly. The larger PSII is a fantastic flier though!

Built and flew the small Nike Smoke. She flew great on a B6-4 and even more impressive on a C6-5. 8 sheets of wadding wasn't enough to prevent nuking the parachute and the landing resulted in two snapped off fins. It's fixed and ready to go again.
I also got the Star Orbiter and had a terrific flight on an E16-6 with no issues.
I highly recommend both kits.

I'm currently assembling an Expedition. It will be built stock except for airfoiled and papered fins. It should be ready to fly by Saturday and the weather should be very favorable where I'm going. Plan to fly it on a D12 and E12, and if time permits, a C11. I have a Jolly Logic Altimeter 2, so at some point I'll have some performance data.

Despite the fact that much of my flying rocket buying habits tend toward the $$$ Specials page, I have to say that the continuing release of builder kits in the Skill 2-5 and PS-II ranges are for me the best things coming out of Estes these days.

I'm seriously tempted to start calling these Pro Series "E2X" the "Pro Series IIIs". They're just not the same as the Leviathan/Argent etc....

I understand its plywood and material supplier issues that's killing the big ones, but its still a little sad.

I'm seriously tempted to start calling these Pro Series "E2X" the "Pro Series IIIs". They're just not the same as the Leviathan/Argent etc....

I understand its plywood and material supplier issues that's killing the big ones, but its still a little sad.

Late to the party, but I agree. I really enjoyed building the PSII kits.

Back