Spoolish Endeavor - build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthewdlaudato

Reaction score
Been staring at this spool for months. I could have just done a standard 'motor in the center' approach, but figured, why not go for something more interesting.

It will use a cluster of 2x18mm motors. The motor tubes will be sealed at the top with fixed nose cones, and vent into the spool hub tube, which itself will be sealed at the bottom. The body tube will be mounted to the top of the spool hub, and assuming I get everything airtight, a chute will deploy upon ejection charge firing.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1475947182.006260.jpg

Should be a fun build and rocket.

Dry fit minus a custom centering ring that I'm about to cut, to get the main body tube mounted properly to the spool.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1475947403.639988.jpg

Decided to go with a longer main tube. Used epoxy to mount the tube - there's metal on each end of the spool hub, should be a solid bond.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1475958215.205751.jpg

I meant of the observer variety... As in I am the only one who replied. :D Anyways, it is starting to look like a rocket now!

I meant of the observer variety... As in I am the only one who replied. :D Anyways, it is starting to look like a rocket now!

Everything looks like a rocket to me, at least according to the family.

"
Whatever it is I think I see
Becomes a rocket part to me
"

Looks like you'll be ready to go for this weekend's CMASS launch.
Should be an interesting flight.

Should be ready. I'm giving it some nose weight - I believe with the body tube it is unstable, more so than a plain spool. Will point it well away from the flight line, heads up flight.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476493419.022315.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1476493437.396260.jpg

Here's the final unpainted rocket. 7.3 ounces, so it will be sluggish on 2xC6-3. Might try the Aerotech D21's, it should really move on them.

View attachment 303337View attachment 303338

Here's the final unpainted rocket. 7.3 ounces, so it will be sluggish on 2xC6-3. Might try the Aerotech D21's, it should really move on them.

They're a lot of fun, but make sure you have enough field and a strong electrical system. Probably wouldn't hurt to check resistance of your FF Jr's as well.

With that sub-second burn time if you get a late- or no- fire you're going at an angle and/or doing side flips.

Silver disks, black body between the disks; or overall, red nosecones?, or something else...

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1478374672.189458.jpg

Flew the Spoolish Endeavor today on 2xC6-3 motors. Perfect straight up flight. Once the motors burned out, it did an end over end tumble, but then the chute deployed and a nice soft landing. So, it is a stable and safe flier under thrust, acrobatic while it coasts, and has earned a paint job. Probably not until spring, as the number of 50°F days is limited this time of year.

IMG_1506257261.136106.jpg

Did some work on this rocket after not touching it for a while. Installed engine hooks, and re-primed it. Now taped off for painting.

IMG_1699.jpg

Top is painted black, now taped off to paint the bottom yellow. Nose is gloss red. Used the airbrush and Createx Acrylic Latex paint for the black and yellow.

Now go fly it and report back. Looks like one of my build except mine take even more time!!!:wink::smile:
Kurt

I've flown it twice already, minus paint job. It's a good straight up flier, does a tumble once thrust ends, but good chute deploys and recoveries both times.

Quick update. This is now a regular flyer in my fleet. On 2xC6-3, it’s very stable right through to ejection. Flies to about 300’ and floats gently down on a 24” chute.

Does it have a chute on the each outboard, or a duct to the central tube?

Have you had any flights where only one motor lit?

Very unique project, I haven’t seen anything quite like this before. Congrats on not only pulling it off, but having a regular good flyer as well!

Very unique project, I haven’t seen anything quite like this before. Congrats on not only pulling it off, but having a regular good flyer as well!

The outboards both duct into the central tube, which is where the chute is packed. All flights to date had both motors fire. I usually put it on a pad furthest from the crowd and point it slightly away - on one motor it would be an ‘interesting’ flight.

The outboards both duct into the central tube, which is where the chute is packed. All flights to date had both motors fire. I usually put it on a pad furthest from the crowd and point it slightly away - on one motor it would be an ‘interesting’ flight.

Back