Books on Model rocket building

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarxray1968

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a really great book on model rocket building. Something more advanced then a kid book. I don't consider myself a beginner, but I'm not nearly as advanced as most on this site.
Looking for something I can get from Barns and Noble.
Found one called The handbook of model rockery

Does anyone know of a really great book on model rocket building. Something more advanced then a kid book. I don't consider myself a beginner, but I'm not nearly as advanced as most on this site.
Looking for something I can get from Barns and Noble.
Found one called The handbook of model rockery

The Handbook of Model Rocketry is the standard, its also an excellent source of information about model rocket design.

+1 on Handbook of model rocketry. Every rocketeer should read it.

"Modern High-power Rocketry 2" I enjoy as do I enjoy "Model Rocket Design and Construction".

+ infinity on the Handbook of Model Rocketry. It would be hard to find a book that is better than this one on model rocketry. It may even be impossible to find a better one. Just a great resource.

An oldie but a goody is "Model Rocketry: Hobby of Tomorrow" by Peter Lowery and Field Griffith. Mine cost me a penny plus shipping.

IMHO, any serious rocketeer should have Stine's book. That being said, Apogee's covers a lot of stuff not discussed in Stine. How to construct offset cones is an example. Modern HPR is great if you are into either HPR OR MPR.

Stine's book is good, but I think Model Rocket Design and Construction by Tim Van Milligan is better. Goes into a bit more depth on stability and has some more details in a lot of areas.

Modern High Power Rocketry is good to allow you to make the leap from techniques discussed in those other books to HPR.

So if I wanted to buy a stack of books for someone, the consensus is Stine, Van Milligan, & Canepa in that order?

So if I wanted to buy a stack of books for someone, the consensus is Stine, Van Milligan, & Canepa in that order?

Sounds good.

Edit: Personally I did not find Modern High Power Rocketry to be as helpful as it could have been, the book is outdated and has very little to offer other than basic insights into HPR. :2:

Last edited:
I'd say Van Milligan first, but only if you promise to to get Stine.

Back