MAC Performance Rocketry – 54mm Minimum Diameter Build (canvas phenolic tubing)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The couplers are a different type of phenolic right? They're not the canvas stuff, but something else if I remember correctly. It at least looks like a different material. I hate having to not fly certain rockets in cold weather... How cold was it, and how fast did she hit the ground?

Not sure on the different coupler material... I think it was a fluke thing, but you never know. Temps were 23 degrees plus a solid 12 mph wind. It felt damn cold!

To bad on the coupler. It looks like the coupler hit the very hard clump of soil laying next to it in picture. Rocket looks very well done.

Cool, Justin! You've inspired a similar MAC Canvas 54mm screamer that I hope to get building soon. Nice that Mike got you that coupler....glad to hear the test flight went well otherwise!

Thanks Eric!

I decided to name the bird the "MAC Monarch" and its loaded up with an AT K-535 DMS for flight tomorrow, should do north of 13K.

K535 DMS RTF.jpg

11,774' on the AT DMS K-535, great flight, but did not get a main deployment. The charge went off, but the nose cone didn't budge. Luckily the rocket lander with drogue and NO DAMAGE! :)

DSCN0949.jpg DSCN0950.jpg DSCN0952.jpg

I cant leave well enough alone... new nose cone, and chopped the upper airframe from 16" down to about .75" for a switch band. Shorter, lighter, and still uses the exact same avionics bay as before.... :)

20170320_182649_resized.jpg 20170320_194953_resized.jpg 20170320_200327_resized.jpg

Flew the 54 bird over the weekend at TWA in Bong on a CTI I-236 Blue in the shortened configuration to 4400'. The head end dual deploy worked as expected and she recovered in the tree line to the south and east of the runway at Bong. Picture and flight recovery assistance by Kevin Harnack, thank you sir!

Also threw some primer on the rocket over the weekend as well. Nose cone and switchband will be black, booster red.

_DSC0686.jpg

Back